Forum Member

Default Sally Port What to Pack

Im sorry if this has been covered before, but i have yet to find it in my searches. so im in the process with Sally Port (going to Iraq). I have gotten my security Clearance and now just waiting for my physical (scheduled for next Wednesday). I am anticipating no problems. Anyway they sent a short list with suggested items to pack which seems to cover Houston, Texas and thats about it. What should I expect to receive from them for additional gear and will I need to provide a means for transporting it? (leave enough space to stow). What type of luggage has others used? Is there any suggested items that should be brought over?

To those to respond thanks, I want to say thanks ahead of time.

Forum Member

Im supposed to be leaving for houston on Next Monday with Sallyport, I was told to pack just enough and if you go by the list then it wont be as much as it looks like. I bought a heavy duty duffle bag for my 50lb bag and I have a small carry on bag. One guy gave a very descriptive view on what to bring and what you may get once you get to Iraq (check the sallyport having trouble with manning post). Hope this helps, and hope to see you out there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile what to pack

well once u reach baghdad u will be issued uniforms u will get 4 shirts 4 polos 2 job shirts 4 pairs of pants 1 jacket all season u will get issued work gloves and all ur gear u will get structral gear and arff gear if u have arff u will get a bunker gear bag so what i did was put all my uniforms in the gear bag so u dont add weight to ur other bag thats my group did it .

MembersZone Subscriber

Pack as little as possible--go light. You will be issued gear and uni's. You can buy the rest on your base at the PX.
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

Forum Member

Hey this is question for anyone already in Iraq or that has been. Do you have internet access in your rooms?

Forum Member

We do have internet at my base. There are a few different providers in country. Prices range from $75 - $110 where I am at. Its not very fast but it gets the job done. However, outages and slow connections are frequent.

Thread Information