Thread: Irving, TX 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Irving, TX 2011

So I registered back in April for their upcoming test, has anyone taken it before? Anyone have any insight into their hiring process and time frame? Any hearsay about how many they are hiring, or when the test will actually be? Just throwing it out there to see what comes up.

Forum Member

I have taken the exam before and it always has a listening portion in the beginning. If i remember, the test was not a cake, it was quite challanging. Irving usually hires only a handful each year. They are a civil service city. I had a buddy that went all the way to the interview but he had a few driving tickets and they didn't like that. They're really strict with your past records. As for the physcial agility, you have to be somewhat in shape lol. Their agility is similar to the Combat Challange event.

Forum Member

The test is one of the more difficult ones I have taken. Last year, everyone that passed the written moved on to the p.a.t. (if I remember correctly).

MembersZone Subscriber

Good info, thanks guys. I like that the majority of the PAT's out here are more legitimate than the standard CPAT that we do out in California. I did Carrollton's and did well, but it is more physically challenging and it looks like Irving's is even a step above that. So the listening portion is just for testing memory retention? About how many people test each year if you could guess?

Forum Member

Irvings test is July 9th this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where did you find that out? About how long does the recruitment process take? Carrollton was 2 weeks from test to PAT to interviews to conditional job offers going out, about a month all total, and I see that Arlington is about 2 months from test to conditional job offers, and about 3 months total. I'm thoroughly impressed by the level of efficiency out here and the work ethic of the recruiters and HR departments.

Forum Member

I would say process typically around 6 month turn around Arlington is an exception and Carrollton just really wanted to hire quick. For Irving you go on there website and fill out a job announcement form or just watch the website constantly then they have an application period which was a few weeks ago. Then after the application period they mail you a letter that you have to sign and send back that states when the test is.

Forum Member

Is anyone following this thread taking the test if so do you know if Irving is hiring if so how many and also how many are testing, thanks.

Forum Member

I sent my letter in but the wife an I are about to have our first baby. The doctor wants to induce on the 8th if the baby hasnt come already so I guess we will see. I may have to call and bow out as I would rather be with my first born.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just got my results letter, man that was a hard test. I did quite well, but sure wasn't expecting it. Any estimates or info on how many people were there? Any more information about how the process is gonna go?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by amtresidder View Post
    Just got my results letter, man that was a hard test. I did quite well, but sure wasn't expecting it. Any estimates or info on how many people were there? Any more information about how the process is gonna go?
    They were planning on hiring 2. My guess was over 1,000 people tested, someone else said 1,400. Haven't seen my letter yet.

Also, I seem to remember them saying that we'd be ranked on the list, and then nothing else would happen until the fall.

Forum Member

I got my letter yesterday. I only made 78% correct on the test, but I was ranked #65. I was suprised by this; it must have been a really difficult test.

Anybody get ranked really high?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm at 22 with an 86, so I echo your suprise. I imagine top score would be barely a 90 or so, which is unheard of. Hardest civil service test I've ever taken. Hope they end up hiring more than two.

Forum Member

The valedictorian from my fire academy class (who is smart as can be) placed 3rd with a 91, if that gives y'all any better idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I just got my application packet/invitation to the physical agility test, anyone else on here get one? Anyone have any idea how many they invited, or if any hiring info has changed?

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone on here take the physical agility test? I just got a call for my polygraph, wondering if anyone else on here is moving on in the process.

Thread Information