Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    230

    Default Program Guidance via Grant workshops

    There seems to me to be Significant changes to the program guidance including scoring, narratives and speciific eligible items etc.
    It makes an interesting read for those who wont get to a workshop anytime soon.
    Check out the workshop notes & powerpoint presentation and see whats new at:
    http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/progr..._schedule.shtm


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Nothing like finding out about your local workshop 12 hours in advance. Too bad i'm working...

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Several big changes. Structural how input narrative is by specific to each activity rather than one overall. Not sure how that will look.

    A GOOD THING - Extended warranties and service agreements, when offered, are now eligible on all items.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    275

    Red face Great

    This is the year that I was ahead of schedule, nearly 95% done with 2011 grant according to old app. Oh well hopefully this will make the award process speed up, maybe?

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Kind of hard to believe they are allowing multiple vehicles when the funding is so short, but I do like the overall funding limits. I also like the line item judgements on equipment, rather than judging the overall list. Several departments will have to get registered with CCR.

  6. #6
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    interesting changes in format for this year.
    time to get things reworked before opening day.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    39

    Angry

    I did not see any notation on any changes in driver examination requirements ? or did I miss something ??

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BFR001 View Post
    I did not see any notation on any changes in driver examination requirements ? or did I miss something ??
    There was no mention about changes to the medicals for vehicle applications even though there has been some talk to use DOT examinations. Will have to ask that question at a workshop or wait to see what the PG states when released.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    45

    Default

    I attended a AFG class this evening and wanted to pass along some things the powerpoint doesn't explain:

    1. To submit for a wellness project, you also need to have a behavioral health program. They readily admit that the term has not been defined yet and will be shortly. (So, if you are thinking about a project in this area, be prepared to explain this).

    2. The separation of the narrative into smaller areas will create 3000-4000 character limits.

    3. If you put in multiple projects under one grant app (regional or operations), they will drop failing scores per project so it doesn't swamp the system.

    4. SAFER will be early fall- no way to open 2 sessions at the same time.

    5. The powerpoints will change constantly until the open date, so check it out often.
    "The light that goes around, even up-side down".

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotoray View Post
    I attended a AFG class this evening and wanted to pass along some things the powerpoint doesn't explain:

    1. To submit for a wellness project, you also need to have a behavioral health program. They readily admit that the term has not been defined yet and will be shortly. (So, if you are thinking about a project in this area, be prepared to explain this).

    2. The separation of the narrative into smaller areas will create 3000-4000 character limits.

    3. If you put in multiple projects under one grant app (regional or operations), they will drop failing scores per project so it doesn't swamp the system.

    4. SAFER will be early fall- no way to open 2 sessions at the same time.

    5. The powerpoints will change constantly until the open date, so check it out often.
    To your point #3, this sounds like a change in the scoring algorithm from previous years. I.e., we always advocated for applicants to limit their request to their highest priority project and avoid the "Christmas wish list" mentality. However, if each project will be scored entirely independently this year, is there any harm in asking for somewhat lower priority projects? From what I understand in the presentation, if these lower priority projects drop out during the electronic pre-score, they will simply be dropped from the application and won't affect the remainder of the score.

  11. #11
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    There was no mention about changes to the medicals for vehicle applications even though there has been some talk to use DOT examinations. Will have to ask that question at a workshop or wait to see what the PG states when released.
    I specifically brought that question up this morning. According to Dave , the region 1 rep,
    a standard DOT physical will be sufficient to meet the requirements, for those applying for vehicle grants.

    Don't forget to add the cost for them in your application.
    Should be able to get them done for around $200.00 each or less. That includes the urine testing for substances.

  12. #12
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    To your point #3, this sounds like a change in the scoring algorithm from previous years. I.e., we always advocated for applicants to limit their request to their highest priority project and avoid the "Christmas wish list" mentality. However, if each project will be scored entirely independently this year, is there any harm in asking for somewhat lower priority projects? From what I understand in the presentation, if these lower priority projects drop out during the electronic pre-score, they will simply be dropped from the application and won't affect the remainder of the score.
    Again as of this morning they really don't want to see the shopping cart approach to apps. Pick your biggest equipment need and do a complete solution to the problem.
    If you ask for turnout gear do a complete head to toe ensemble and also ask for the washer & dryer to maintain the investment. Don't forget proper storage rack for the station to keep the gear in/on.

    SCBA will only score well if older than 2002 edition.

    Both will be allowed for regional apps ,BUT they will be scrutinizing the individual departments very carefully to make sure that ALL gear being replaced meets the criteria.
    Also to make sure that their not replacing equipment already provided by previous years grants.

    Still looking for late June , Early July opening date.

    Lets get er done boys & girls !!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    I contacted my Region 7 DHS rep about when there would be a workshop in my area. Said they are still working on having one around the end of July.

    First thing through my mind was August opening date, but remembered that they have had them after the opening period before.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    I specifically brought that question up this morning. According to Dave , the region 1 rep,
    a standard DOT physical will be sufficient to meet the requirements, for those applying for vehicle grants.

    Don't forget to add the cost for them in your application.
    Should be able to get them done for around $200.00 each or less. That includes the urine testing for substances.
    I heard you were at the workshop this AM.

  15. #15
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    I heard you were at the workshop this AM.
    Yep made the hour !/2 ride up to Augusta. Cacso 18 was there also. Dave pegged both of us from this board.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Yep made the hour !/2 ride up to Augusta. Cacso 18 was there also. Dave pegged both of us from this board.
    Doesn't surprise me at all that he picked you guys out as forum members. A couple of years ago we were talking at the end of a workshop and when I was leaving he called me by my forum name.

  17. #17
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Doesn't surprise me at all that he picked you guys out as forum members. A couple of years ago we were talking at the end of a workshop and when I was leaving he called me by my forum name.
    Your name came up yesterday as Paul & i were talking to him, :-}

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    Doesn't surprise me at all that he picked you guys out as forum members. A couple of years ago we were talking at the end of a workshop and when I was leaving he called me by my forum name.
    Which just goes to show everyone that they do monitor this forum from time to time to see "what is in the wind".
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

    "Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Your name came up yesterday as Paul & i were talking to him, :-}
    Hey islandfire03. Did anyone think to ask if the department/community information and financial need section that they are moving to the "Applicant Information" page is going to have a "separate" narrative section or are they simply relying on the "box" information previously listed there? Inquiring minds, who are stuck in the Sunshine State without any workshops, want to know!LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

    "Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  20. #20
    Forum Member islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,485

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    Hey islandfire03. Did anyone think to ask if the department/community information and financial need section that they are moving to the "Applicant Information" page is going to have a "separate" narrative section or are they simply relying on the "box" information previously listed there? Inquiring minds, who are stuck in the Sunshine State without any workshops, want to know!LOL!
    If i remember correctly Dave said there will be separate narrative for each section. plus an "additional info section at the end for those last few facts you might feel the need to pass on to the reviewers.
    He reinforced the need for explicit cost benefit analysis in the CB section and to show the issues that might occur without funding for your requests. IE, increased risk of injury /death for your crews and citizens due to the lack of XYZ equipment keeping you from doing proper interior ops.

    He also talked of discussions in DC about providing us better methods of acknowledging the reasons behind DJ's. such as which sections were strong score & which were weak.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jenny's Heroes Community Grant Program
    By onebugle in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 10:38 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 12:46 PM
  3. FEMA Grant Workshops
    By cusingeorge in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 05:56 PM
  4. 2003 FIRE Act Grant Workshops
    By ChiefReason in forum Illinois
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 02:45 PM
  5. Fema Grant Writing Workshops Starting Next Week
    By FiremenRCrazy in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts