Forum Member

Default Aid Bag (Jump Bag, etc) Question

Ok so I am looking at getting a used empty Aid Bag for my car, my reason is I attend a lot of Off-Road events and go camping a LOT (and I mean CAMPING as in the middle of no-where, REAL camping) and currently I have 3 tool boxes in the back and 1 of them has my "first aid" stuff in it and this would make it more stand-outish for others when needed. I plan to keep it over stocked (as my tool-box is) because I have used it more then enough when EMS/Hospitals are far away. I have even transported in the back of a pick-up truck with a back board to an EMS crew waiting on the main highway (yes sometimes I do carry a back board with spider-straps and head blocks....wow who does that???). So my question here is what do you guys carry in your cars as far as first aid kits go and why? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Dressings, bandages, tape, a couple of CPR masks, flex splints, cuff, 'scope, gloves, scissors.

That's in the duffle in the back of the truck. I also keep a fanny pack in the cab with my favorite cuff and 'scope, mask, finger pulse ox, and a very small supply of dressings, etc.

The fanny pack usually goes with me on the rescue for EMS calls, just so I'm using my own stuff.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I used to drive 135 miles one-way to my career gig, mostly on major highways....Coming across a serious accident became a regular occurrance there for a while, so I loaded up a .50 cal ammo box with a boatload of 4x4's, a couple of trauma dressings, some cravats, some rolls of gauze, tape, gloves, a set of trauma shears, a cheap stethoscope, and some other basic junk. I also carried about a half dozen flares (inside a PVC tube that I made) which came in handy a bunch of times.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Those are both sane compared to carrying his own backboard with spiders.

Anyways, a small kit with varieties of bandaging stuff, stop the blood stuff, BP cuff and scope, o2 and AED. (we run POV's for first responder calls)

Forum Member

I carry a big bag of hugs
    IAFF

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Mostly I carry a cell phone to call for the fire department, EMS, or police.

But I do carry a vey basic first aid kit.

Long board, collars, spider straps? Not a freaking chance...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireInTheShire View Post
    Ok so I am looking at getting a used empty Aid Bag for my car, my reason is I attend a lot of Off-Road events and go camping a LOT (and I mean CAMPING as in the middle of no-where, REAL camping) and currently I have 3 tool boxes in the back and 1 of them has my "first aid" stuff in it and this would make it more stand-outish for others when needed. I plan to keep it over stocked (as my tool-box is) because I have used it more then enough when EMS/Hospitals are far away. I have even transported in the back of a pick-up truck with a back board to an EMS crew waiting on the main highway (yes sometimes I do carry a back board with spider-straps and head blocks....wow who does that???). So my question here is what do you guys carry in your cars as far as first aid kits go and why? Thanks
    Personally, I carry a snake bite kit (100 proof min.) and a snake.

In all seriousness though, look at a standard, industrial issue 24 unit first aid kit for a simple and comprehensive list. Then, add what you need for whatever certs you have. But, don't let it get obsessive. It will ruin your weekend if nobody tries to kill themselves while you are trying to be a hero.

Enjoy your time off and always render help to the best of your ability under the circumstances. If you are attending off-road events, the sponsors should be responsible for safety, not the spectators. Heck, I could fit a lot of brats in the space that spineboard would take up or maybe some extra gas for the kids toys (however, I am leaning towards the brats.)

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry our basic medical bag that is issued to all EMT's for response.

I have a few extra flashlights and a leatherman tool, they always come in handy.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

If I told you what all I carried in my POV, you would be shocked. But to surmise to say, it includes a maternity/birth kit.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

a twelve gauge...for the bears...they come running at the scent of blood.

Forum Member

It's pretty interesting..I've tested it before..And it looks good..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Those are both sane compared to carrying his own backboard with spiders.

Anyways, a small kit with varieties of bandaging stuff, stop the blood stuff, BP cuff and scope, o2 and AED. (we run POV's for first responder calls)
    ...I ment to say speed clips, I have some old ones (still in great shape the station just bought new ones so I took the old) that I use to secure cargo and what not, didn't plan to actually use them. As for the backboard same thing station bought new ones and I took 1 of the old ones (great for laying on while working under cars or what we were planning to use it for leverage for when a jeep got stuck, shove it under the wheel and try to get traction). As for C-collar and head blocks go, I made the head blocks on sight with tape and some towels I had and I don't know where the C-collar came from or why I had it but I did...and it came in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post

In all seriousness though, look at a standard, industrial issue 24 unit first aid kit for a simple and comprehensive list. Then, add what you need for whatever certs you have. But, don't let it get obsessive. It will ruin your weekend if nobody tries to kill themselves while you are trying to be a hero.

Enjoy your time off and always render help to the best of your ability under the circumstances. If you are attending off-road events, the sponsors should be responsible for safety, not the spectators. Heck, I could fit a lot of brats in the space that spineboard would take up or maybe some extra gas for the kids toys (however, I am leaning towards the brats.)
    And as for off-road events, if I go to sponsored ones then yes I mind my business and leave safety to them, but I don't always go to just sponsored ones, I go out with friends and since I'm the firefighter/EMT in the group I act as the safety for the group.

So thanks for y'alls input and any other input is awesome, and again I do NOT regularly carry a backboard, C-collars, or head blocks (although I do keep towels and duct tape and can make them if needed). That day was a one time deal and was just coincidence. I do usually carry the speed clips (not spider-straps that was a typo) and I just realized how that original post read and ya I made it sound like that stuff was ALWAYS in my car and thats not the case. And when I do its not for the intended reasons...as mentioned above (shoulda stated that). Sorry for any confusion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post

How often do you get bit by the Snake before you apply the Remedy? hehe T.C.

Thread Information