Forum Member

Default Airport Fire fighter courses??

Hey guys, not sure if I'm in the right section but...

I'm looking to get my airport rescue firefighter (ARFF)..I live in Pennsylvania, and I've already exhausted looking at Bucks county, the state fire academy, the national fire academy, and I even googled. Yes, I searched here with results but I'm trying not to go outside of like a 5 hour trip, unless I have to of course..I was just wondering whats my next option.Airports? travel as far as I need in order to get it? I'm kinda going in circles..

Forum Member

Default ARFF class

Most ARFF classes you may have to travel!!

Forum Member

Do a search with arrf on this site there are some schools listed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Hey guys, not sure if I'm in the right section but...

I'm looking to get my airport rescue firefighter (ARFF)..I live in Pennsylvania, and I've already exhausted looking at Bucks county, the state fire academy, the national fire academy, and I even googled. Yes, I searched here with results but I'm trying not to go outside of like a 5 hour trip, unless I have to of course..I was just wondering whats my next option.Airports? travel as far as I need in order to get it? I'm kinda going in circles..

I would check FIRST with the PA State Fire School, to be sure that if I took a ARFF in Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, New York or anywhere else, that it would be certifiable in Pennsylvania! There is no sense taking the course if Pennsylvania will not recognized it.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

captbob, I'm taking it to try and go overseas/ DoD career firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ARFF Classes

If you're looking to go overseas you're going to need to make sure you get the ProBoard or IFSAC certification. A lot of places teach the NFPA 1003 and FAR 139 Basic Airport FF class but not all offer the certification testing. Check out the South Carolina Fire Academy (classes fill up quick), and Salt Lake City (i'm in their 6/5/11 - 6/11/11 class)

Here is a link from ARFF.info for training centers accross the USA.
    http://www.arff.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1537

Any questions private message me on here...
    Last edited by LtMedic35; 05-26-2011 at 09:22 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are looking to get into DoD or do overseas contracting you can get ARFF through Texas A&M at www.TEEX.org or South Carolina State Fire Academy at http://www.scfa.state.sc.us/ . Alabama usually has one but they don't have one scheduled for 2011 that I have seen. I have heard good thinks about Salt Lake as well which LtMEDIC35 mentioned.

SCFA gives you housing for 5 days along with breakfast and lunch while you are enrolled in the classes. They have classes at the end of everyone of their recruit academies so every 3-4 months depending on the rotation.

I would go with TEEX since they accept IFSAC and Pro-Board and certify with Pro-Board. If you want IFSAC you have to get your certification from Texas State Fire Marshall's Association or your home state. The 40 hour course will be sufficient to get you your certification and a foot in the rapidly closing door.

The overseas positions are slowing drying up so if you are looking to get into something that will make you big money quick you should have a solid resume.

Good luck with your endeavors
    Last edited by CorreeyW; 05-28-2011 at 10:57 AM.
    -Corey
    Moron A.B.
    Spain

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

Thread Information