Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lets make hwoods happy red paint fund

OK Harve is always a little grumpy. This is the best job on this planet so it only leaves one thing. He don't have fire engine red trucks he has yellow trucks and is probably mistaken for city maintenance alot, bound to make you grumpy. So what I propose is let's all see what we can chip in to make Harve happy. So look around,what do you have laying around in your garages and paint lockers to make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    OK Harve is always a little grumpy. This is the best job on this planet so it only leaves one thing. He don't have fire engine red trucks he has yellow trucks and is probably mistaken for city maintenance alot, bound to make you grumpy. So what I propose is let's all see what we can chip in to make Harve happy. So look around,what do you have laying around in your garages and paint lockers to make this happen.
    If you've been around drag racing for awhile, you know the term, "Dare to be Different". Same applies to those who WANT to ride in yellow rigs. It might not be right, but it is their choice.

I'm keeping my red paint.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yeah...........

Mechanics know best!....... While I sincerely appreciate the gesture, Here's the Scoop: I am probably asked "Why Yellow?" at least weekly. The Standard answer is another question: "Who else has it?......" Answer back to me is usually "I Dunno, never seen it before".......... to which my response is "Exactly...." We switched to Chrome Yellow starting with the delivery of a 1968 Ward La France Attack Engine which in itself was controversial at the time. Rather than the standard 1,000 or 1,250 GPM Pumps that everyone else had this one only did about 600 GPM. It was capable of putting the 500 gallon tank out thru either of 2 deck guns in less than 1 minute, AND it could pump quite well rolling along at 25-30 miles per hour. Along with the unique pump, it had a couple of 3 inch preconnect handlines, 500lb Purple K system, and a lot of other "Out of the Box" ideas......... The Yellow Paint was an experiment in "Safety Colors" ....

OK, got that far (above) and got interrupted by a Run......... The "Safety Color War" raged back and forth for years, spurred on by someone who was behind that ugly "Lime Slime" color. My response to Lime Slime is that "If it's that visible, why don't we have warning lights in that color??" NEVER got an answer.... or seen a Lime Slime Lightbar. Anyway, we liked the Yellow and stuck with it. My successor as Chief, Tony McGillin, asked us for input on going to Chicago style Black Tops and as a "Test Run", we had a Black top done on the '95 Spartan Rescue Engine later that year. Everyone liked it, so that's now on everything. I don't think there will be any more changes for quite a few years to come..........
    Last edited by hwoods; 05-26-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Nothing says Happy like a box of wine and Lawrence Welk on DVD..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

UH OH SCOOBIE !!!. The Chieftain isn't out of town after all.

Talking Out of Town, Not out of Touch......

You never know, Do you??............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

We get the same thing at my VFD ... "why yellow?" Back in the early 70's, our county was very, very rural, and was being protected by only one fire station. When our station was formed in '70, the members wanted to be different, and wanted the citizens to know that it was OUR station was responding to their emergencies, so yellow was chosen.

In 1971, we purchased three fire engines for a neighboring county for $500 each, and lucky for us, two of them were already yellow. A few cans of paint in the bay of the "new" firehouse (built from parts of a warehouse that was being torn down) after they were delivered, and the lone red one was yellow as well.

41 years later, we're still yellow, and damn proud of it!

EDIT: I've never thought that Harve was grumpy about anything?
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 05-26-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Nothing wrong with yellow! Heck, we have a station in town with light blue trucks. lol

There a department a couple towns over from us that has multiple colors, and they order them that way. Blue, Maroon, Black, Slime Lime, Red...

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    There a department a couple towns over from us that has multiple colors, and they order them that way. Blue, Maroon, Black, Slime Lime, Red...
    taste the rainbow?

Default Yellow

We did the same thing with our department. "They" said yellow was more easily seen. We started changing everything to yellow for this reason. Then the city decided to change the street lights to sodium to save energy. Needless to say the yellow engines look terrible at night and the whole "Safety" thing went out the window. The Fire Chief then went back to ordering "RED" and to this day there are few yellows still around (spares).
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

We liked our yellow rigs so much that when it was time to order our 2007 pumper, we proposed a vote on going back to red, and red won by a landslide.

Harve's problem is, is that when his rescue company is returning from a run, and pulls to a stop at an intersection between 7 and 9 in the morning, the kids waiting on the corner want to climb on the truck.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Harve's problem is, is that when his rescue company is returning from a run, and pulls to a stop at an intersection between 7 and 9 in the morning, the kids waiting on the corner want to climb on the truck.
    It's a great recruiting tool for a new Explorer post..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Of course fire trucks are yellow. What color are they supposed to be?

We went yellow in 1970, never looked back. Black roof over chrome yellow body, just like Harve's. It's different, in our area there's only one other department about 50 miles from us that has it. Definitely stands out.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Our trucks are white and actually started as an off-white known as Wimbledon white. Simple origin: The county bought us our first real fire truck (to replace our Willys 4x4) by purchasing a bare cab & chassis at the local Ford dealer, then shipping it to the now-defunct Allegheny Fire Apparatus in Ona, WV for the build. That cab was Wimbledon white, so Allegheny painted the fire body to match, and we stuck with it as we added other trucks.

Nowadays when we order new it would cost entirely too much to get a custom color, so we went to a true white when ordering E1, E3, and R1. T1's chassis was bought used but already true white, so lonely old E2 is the only one left of the Wimbledon era.

Fascinating to me only, I'm sure.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by RollerDJ View Post
    taste the rainbow?
    They've been coined the Crayola Fire Department lol.

Talking Really??............

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    They've been coined the Crayola Fire Department lol.

I always thought that Crayola was the name of a small town in Wisconsin.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

The Guys in Our County love to give us hell for having ALF Chrome Yellow Trucks, but never fails to burn their arses when we beat them to their calls. It kinda hard to miss that beautiful Yellow engine up in front of all those plain red trucks!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    It kinda hard to miss that beautiful Yellow engine up in front of all those plain red trucks!
    Hell yes!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    You never know, Do you??............
    Did you not state that you were going to be out of town at a tractor pull and to busy to do anything here until next week ?. Nothing says we really care like 270 half empty cans of paint waiting for on your return.

Thread Information