Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default To all the firefighters out there

Hi all
    Just joined this forum specifically to ask some of these questions. I am a paramedic working for a private ambulance. I have been testing for departments out here, and have come up with some questions that I cant seem to answer myself
    1. Is it worth it to get a fire II cert or fire science degree on my own? Will that significantly improve my chances of getting hired?
    2. Is there anything else that you would recommend I do beyond having my paramedic licence (which I do) that would help me score higher on the list? I do pretty well on the written exams, but always get bunmped down below people with vet status, 4 year degree, and firefighting experience. I had one oral interview and didnt make the cut. The chief said that it was because I need to talk more on the interview.

And just some general questions that I wouldnt be able to answer untill I actually ride on a department (which nobody seems to want to let me to do)
    1. What do you like most about being a firefighter/paramedic? What dont you like?
    2. What functional skills do you use most?
    3. What personaly traits or talents would somebody need to enjoy being a firefighter?

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Forum Member

Okay well first off I am not a career firefighter YET, but I might still be able to answer your questions. Where do you live and are you applying for large cities or smaller departments that will make a difference in what it takes to get hired. You almost never need a degree to get hired so out of the two I would say get your firefighter 1 and 2 done. as for the interview questions
    1 is your personal opinion
    2 again I couldn't answer that for you
    3 you would have to want to help and protect others.
    I would let some older career men answer that better though.

good luck!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Well..............

Quote Originally Posted by remt View Post
    Hi all
    Just joined this forum specifically to ask some of these questions. I am a paramedic working for a private ambulance. I have been testing for departments out here, and have come up with some questions that I cant seem to answer myself
    1. Is it worth it to get a fire II cert or fire science degree on my own? Will that significantly improve my chances of getting hired?
    2. Is there anything else that you would recommend I do beyond having my paramedic licence (which I do) that would help me score higher on the list? I do pretty well on the written exams, but always get bunmped down below people with vet status, 4 year degree, and firefighting experience. I had one oral interview and didnt make the cut. The chief said that it was because I need to talk more on the interview.

And just some general questions that I wouldnt be able to answer untill I actually ride on a department (which nobody seems to want to let me to do)
    1. What do you like most about being a firefighter/paramedic? What dont you like?
    2. What functional skills do you use most?
    3. What personaly traits or talents would somebody need to enjoy being a firefighter?

I am a Retired Career Firefighter, so I might know just a little bit about the Job. First, Where you are in America has a great deal to do with what you need (or don't need) when job hunting. For instance, here in Maryland where I am, you can't get a Firefighter II Certificate on your own. Only people who are Members of a Fire Department can have access to Fire Training, meaning that you get hired first, then trained. This keeps the "Fringe Element" away from stuff that they shouldn't get involved in........ Paramedic Certification is a plus when applying in many places, but it's not necessary. Being one of those creatures that live on Caffine and Adrenelin, it's easy to see why I've done this for the last 53 years........ I admit to being one of those fossils who has an EMT-B Card, but isn't interested in being a Road Doctor, I'd rather do Fires..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Hi all
    You should really be asking these first questions to the people who hire firefighters in the area you want to work. They always need good people and will readily provide their requirements. Talk to them. Good communications skills are an absolute must if you want to get ahead. It will also give them a chance to get to know you.

Oh, like most of the "seasoned" veterans will tell you, communication primarily involves listening, especially at first. (Just how do you season a veteran? BBQ sauce? Boil in beer? A dry rub?)

That question deserves its own thread. Double points for including the word "enjoy."

Forum Member

That's great man!

Forum Member

hey, thanks for all the answers. I do have some people that I am trying to talk to around here, hopefully that will clear things up a bit.

Thread Information