MembersZone Subscriber

Default Recruitment Ideas

We are looking for some ideas to use in out community to inform the public that we are looking for members. We are a rural community of about 1500 and we are thinking about placing a large banner in front of out station. We are looking for some ideas on wording on a banner that maybe some of you have used in the past.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've seen about everything from "Volunteers Needed - Will Train" to "Give Back to Your Community - Volunteer."

Google "fire department recruiting" and select "images" - some interesting ideas there.

Our state association put up billboards statewide that had a picture of a firefighter in full turnouts and the word "volunteer" with an H "handwritten" below and between the two e's, and an o above and after the r = volunteer + hero. Can't find a picture of it just now, though.

A little more labor intensive is some personal visits - ranging from attending the meetings of fraternal organizations (Lions, Rotary, etc) to give a presentation to a door-to-door campaign throughout your district.

In both cases, uniforms are de rigeur - preferable something sharp looking, not just the department T-shirt. Go with background information (training and other requirements members have to meet, run volume, etc) and applications in-hand. If they show real interest, maybe even provide them a stamped envelope to mail the app in to you.

One department in our county (with a very rural service area) brought in six new members with just such a campaign.

Consider a group effort among your neighbors - the media is more likely to latch onto a bigger push - "Podunk County fire departments push for new recruits." NY just had a statewide campaign for which they recommended that individual departments hold open houses and other events. Some departments had great success, we gave out two applications. Maybe we should have handed out hamburgers...

Best of luck - we all need it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I agree tree68..That's such a nice idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

tree68,

Thanks for response and ideas. We are having a pancake breakfast coming up during our town celebration and we are going to write a message on a large chalk board asking for volunteers, also will show equipment and answer questions. I will try to do a google search some more, I did find some cool stuff on you tube.

Forum Member

I think the biggest thing is being totally open and honest. Let them know all the requirements of being a FF as well as making sure they understand the "extra" activities that the dept partakes in( pancake breakfast, food stands, community events, etc) so they know full well what is required of them. We have an explorer program in its first year and already pretty sure we will have two out of it signing on.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Google "fire department recruiting" and select "images" - some interesting ideas there.
    I like this one. It screams "volunteer or we'll burn your f*cking house down!". It would definitely have an impact :)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Engine4Cap View Post
    I think the biggest thing is being totally open and honest.
    And taking things slightly off topic - don't forget the spouse/significant other!

Many years ago my father was involved with the reserve police program in a small town in MI (actually, he and another guy started it, but that's another story entirely).

One thing they did with each applicant was sit down with the applicant's wife (this was the 60's - not many women in police work yet) and tell her what was going on, expectations, etc, so she would better understand why he had duty, meetings, etc, ie, would be away from home.

If the significant other doesn't buy in, the new member probably won't last long.

Not only that, but sometimes you can make a new member out of the significant other - two for one!

MembersZone Subscriber

Stolen from here,

NOW HIRING. NO PAY. KEWL HAT

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Stolen from here,

Like!

Forum Member

Think about yard signs too.

Have each of your member put one up in front of thier homes. Put 4 at each significant intersection in your community.

I used them in my previous VFD with great succcess.

Simple slogans which I have used in the past:

Smoke.
    Heat.
    Fire.
    Interested?
    (Department Name)

Pride
    Commitment
    Dedication
    Interested?
    (Department Name)

Saving Lives is Just
    One of the fringe Benefits.
    (Department Name)

Looking for
    Special people with
    Special Skills.
    (Department Name)

It takes more
    than Firefighters
    to Fight Fire.
    (Department Name)
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Stolen from here,

That is funny. I am going to steal that from you!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

One of the basics that a lot of volunteer organizations forget is to have some sort of note on the front door giving the contact information for someone in the department and listing times and days for your training nights. A lot of folks will just stop by assuming someone is there and having that information where they can see it will help a lot.

LA Fire -- how much does it cost to make such yard signs? Are we talking homemade, or professionally made (like political signs)?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by auxman View Post
    One of the basics that a lot of volunteer organizations forget is to have some sort of note on the front door giving the contact information for someone in the department and listing times and days for your training nights. A lot of folks will just stop by assuming someone is there and having that information where they can see it will help a lot.

LA Fire -- how much does it cost to make such yard signs? Are we talking homemade, or professionally made (like political signs)?

Talking about the disposable type, which actually should last a few years, are about $10 each. In bulk, they probably are less, depending on how many colors you choose to use.

They are very cost effective.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Thread Information