Forum Member

Default Old Brass Nozzle

I was just wondering if anyone here who loves their nozzles would knows anything about this one. A buddy of mine offered it to me. I thought it would make a nice display piece. Its a 12" brass nozzle and thats about all i know about it. Any idea what time period it would be from? Im not so sure if it would be on an truck or maybe off one of those hoses you see stored away in the hallways of a high-rise. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

It came out of a hose rack cabinet that use to be in building as a "first aid" type appliance for the untrained public. It has an 1-1/2" National Standard female hose thread and may be a 1/2 discharge orfice. I use to have boxes of them.

It is made of brass. Maybe good for use in your man cave.

If you have two you might be able to fashion them intol amps. I have several of the 2-1/2" size as well
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It came out of a hose rack cabinet that use to be in building as a "first aid" type appliance for the untrained public. It has an 1-1/2" National Standard female hose thread and may be a 1/2 discharge orfice. I use to have boxes of them.

It is made of brass. Maybe good for use in your man cave.

If you have two you might be able to fashion them intol amps. I have several of the 2-1/2" size as well
    Thanks, I kinda had a feeling thats what it came off of. I got it today and did a couple measurements and the female end is 2" and the tip is 3/4. Its a nice display piece and i definitly cant complain about it if i got it for free. Any idea what time frame it might be from? I kinda figure early to mid 1900s

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PosiPete View Post
    Thanks, I kinda had a feeling thats what it came off of. I got it today and did a couple measurements and the female end is 2" and the tip is 3/4. Its a nice display piece and i definitly cant complain about it if i got it for free. Any idea what time frame it might be from? I kinda figure early to mid 1900s
    Where it appears to be 2 inches across the large end, it is actually as I said 1-1/2" female NST opening. They came in two sizes this one shown and the 2-1/2 size. No shut off but a solid type stream. The tip is 3/4 inches across but the orifice is 1/2 inch.

If you had another you could make a night stand type lamp or clean them up, apply a clear coat and put them on a book case or mantle. Once you start polishing them, you have keep it up.

Forum Member

Where it appears to be 2 inches across the large end, it is actually as I said 1-1/2" female NST opening. They came in two sizes this one shown and the 2-1/2 size. No shut off but a solid type stream. The tip is 3/4 inches across but the orifice is 1/2 inch.

If you had another you could make a night stand type lamp or clean them up, apply a clear coat and put them on a book case or mantle. Once you start polishing them, you have keep it up.
    Hmm, thats kind of strange. So what size hose is it meant for? I tried it on 1-3/4 hose and it was to big and i tried it on 2-1/2 and it was to small. Was it just that they had bigger couplings back then or something? And by the way, i really appreciate the help. i love learning about this older stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PosiPete View Post
    Hmm, thats kind of strange. So what size hose is it meant for? I tried it on 1-3/4 hose and it was to big and i tried it on 2-1/2 and it was to small. Was it just that they had bigger couplings back then or something? And by the way, i really appreciate the help. i love learning about this older stuff.

Sir, again, the female thread end is a 1-1/2 inch National Standard Thread. It would have for a 1-1/2 inch National Standard Male Thread.

The only two sizes that I have ever seen or have documents on for this nozzle, is the 1-1/2 inch and 2-1/2 inch. I have several of each. I went to the garage and got a Male thread coupling for each and both screwed on as it should have.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Hmmm..........

Cap, when I worked for State Forestry, we had 1.5 hose with Pipe Thread. I agree that I've never seen this nozzle in anything but 1.5 and 2.5, but looking at the ones in the photo, what little bit of thread I can see looks like Pipe......... My other question would be if there was an Industrial Application that used 2.0?? I've never heard of it, but I think I know where to look at an old W.S.Darley Catalog. If anyone would know, they would...... I'll post my findings here......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Sir, again, the female thread end is a 1-1/2 inch National Standard Thread. It would have for a 1-1/2 inch National Standard Male Thread.

The only two sizes that I have ever seen or have documents on for this nozzle, is the 1-1/2 inch and 2-1/2 inch. I have several of each. I went to the garage and got a Male thread coupling for each and both screwed on as it should have.
    I could be wrong, but isnt 1-1/2 NST the size the couplings are on an 1-3/4 hose?

Thread Information