Forum Member

Default A concern with stuttering

I've battled with stuttering my entire life. It gets pretty bad when I'm nervous.

I was thinking of taking a speech class at a local community college and if it would help any. I really want to conquer this.

Forum Member

Yes, a speech class (public speaking) will greatly assist you. The best thing to help with stuttering is to be confident in what you are saying. Preparation is the key.
    You will take oral interviews to get hired on the fire department. You MUST become proficient with them. Again, preparation is the key.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Have you consulted a speech pathologist regarding your issue. Regardless of the cause someone who specializes in speech disorders can give you the best advice on how to conquer your stuttering.

Good luck.

Forum Member

Has anybody ever heard about this treatment where they put an insert in the person's ear? The theory was that there was an issue with the stuttering person's ability to hear his or her own voice.

When they put in a little doo-dad that essentially captured sound, delayed it a split second, and played it into their ear, they were corrected. Gonna Google/YouTube it.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Found it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuO3DbnQjxE

Skip ahead to 1:18.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Polymer View Post
    I've battled with stuttering my entire life. It gets pretty bad when I'm nervous.

I was thinking of taking a speech class at a local community college and if it would help any. I really want to conquer this.
    Everyone gets nervous, so I wouldn't worry about it. Will the other firefighters give you a hard time, yea, but this is the firehouse.

When I get nervous I repeat myself, they call me 2 times, as my nickname but it is all in good fun. Good luck and don't worry too much, the firehouse is an understanding place.

Forum Member

We've got a guy at work who stutters pretty bad. It has since lessened up since he got to know everyone and isn't nervous for being the new guy. He said that he has taken classes and gone to speech pathologists and he keeps getting better and better everytime.

His stuttering has never been a problem whether around the firehouse or on a call. His nickname doesnt have anything to do with his stuttering, but we call him Stretch causes hes about 6'10" and has a ridiculous wingspan.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information