+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default Guess I have a Following....

    2 of our members attended the Radiologocal Monitering class in Las Vegas last week .... and apprently one of the other members of the class spied the shirts and asked if I was really as much of an a** in real life as I was here.

    He didn't tell me what he said, but I'm sure hoping it was "yes".

    Wondering if I can get my own reality show on the History Channel?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    10,248

    Default

    Yes, you are one of a breed.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    JayDudley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Joke

    scFire86...Nice one....but "Why should you bury a Democrat at 100 feet.? "....."Because deep down they're a good person." It seems that most of us working stiffs are Democrats....I am an exception. This is why Politics are never discussed in the Fire House.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    He didn't tell me what he said, but I'm sure hoping it was "yes".
    Sad. Very, very sad.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sad. Very, very sad.
    I have never made any bones about not making friends in the firehouse and speaking my mind about what we do and how we do it. There are some that agree with me. There are some that do not. And there are some that consider me an a**hole.

    And yes, expressing my opinions about operations and policies that I disagree with have cost me officer's positions in the past, and likely will in the future. And there are those that perceive me as an a**hole because I do draw some very deep lines in the sand about what I consider right and wrong.

    I have friends in the firehouse. I also have people that can't stand me. But in the end, I'm not here to make friends. Even as a volly, I'm here to do a job in the way that I view the job, and yes, that means some folks will dislike me.

    So be it.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    So be it.
    Sad. Very, very sad.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Sad. Very, very sad.
    Actually, I'm quite happy where I am professionally, and what I have accomplished.

    I'm also quite happy outside of the station.

    You are the one that sounds angry and bitter.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Actually, I'm quite happy where I am professionally, and what I have accomplished.

    I'm also quite happy outside of the station.

    You are the one that sounds angry and bitter.

    No, the truth is we all have grown weary of your incessant need for attention. You whine, and grouse, and complain, and cry, about being picked on and abused here and yet when no one pays any attention to you you post selfserving "look at me" topics just to get someone, anyone, to pay attention to you.

    Like myself and scores of others have told you here many, many times...We couldn't begin to care less what you do in your little corner of the world, but when you try to spread the absolute nonsense that you preach here to the rest of the fire service you will be challenged. By now though we all know the attention, positive or negative, is why you are here. You thrive on it. My bet is you are pretty much shut out and ignored by a good chunk of your combo FD, and soon your volly FD. It doesn't take people long to see right through a guy like you.

    Heck, LA, if I was your chief and read some of the stuff you have posted here about him, the FD, and the policies of the FD, you would be lucky to still be a member and for damn sure you wouldn't be an officer working under me when you are working against me.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Haughton, LA
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Heck, LA, if I was your chief and read some of the stuff you have posted here about him, the FD, and the policies of the FD, you would be lucky to still be a member and for damn sure you wouldn't be an officer working under me when you are working against me.
    Wouldn't your Chief feel the same way about all of you who attack others? Your opinion is just as good as his. IMO
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    Wouldn't your Chief feel the same way about all of you who attack others? Your opinion is just as good as his. IMO
    Seriously, if you can't see the difference between coming online and challenging your chief, your department policies, and staffing, and rebutting someone's online opinions then I fear trying to explain it to you would be a waste of time.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Haughton, LA
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Unfortunately there is a very fine line between challenging, opinons, and specualtion. I ahve provided the definitions for you, not to insult your inteligence, not many people on here know about LA's department; all regions are different in various things such as responsibilities, independance, staffing, terminology and etc. We may know only what we see as an "attack" on a chief officer, but all we see on the forum is how things are done at our departments, how our staff acts accordingly, your terminology, your personal responsibilities and etc. So if you think LA is "attacking" his department, why don't you look at the personnel in your department, the slugs who complain about everything, and start fixing your department before coming across the internet and only addressing the "problem" that you see. LA's opinions might be just the tip of the iceberg, try before you pry.

    BSI scene safe, take it easy.

    Challenge: –verb (used with object)
    11. to summon to a contest of skill, strength, etc.
    12. to take exception to; call in question: to challenge the wisdom of a procedure.
    13. to demand as something due or rightful.

    Opinion: –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
    3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second Medical opinion.

    Speculation: –noun
    1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.
    2. a single instance or process of consideration.
    3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

    - 6Duron1
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    No, the truth is we all have grown weary of your incessant need for attention. You whine, and grouse, and complain, and cry, about being picked on and abused here and yet when no one pays any attention to you you post selfserving "look at me" topics just to get someone, anyone, to pay attention to you.

    Like myself and scores of others have told you here many, many times...We couldn't begin to care less what you do in your little corner of the world, but when you try to spread the absolute nonsense that you preach here to the rest of the fire service you will be challenged. By now though we all know the attention, positive or negative, is why you are here. You thrive on it. My bet is you are pretty much shut out and ignored by a good chunk of your combo FD, and soon your volly FD. It doesn't take people long to see right through a guy like you.

    Heck, LA, if I was your chief and read some of the stuff you have posted here about him, the FD, and the policies of the FD, you would be lucky to still be a member and for damn sure you wouldn't be an officer working under me when you are working against me.
    I have no issue with being challenged, and have no problems with challenging folks when things simply don't seem right. Prove to me that I'm wrong and I'll shut up.

    You describe challenging my current chief over hiring staffing. I beleive and still belive that hiring personnel and digging my combo department unecessarily deeper into the morass of additional paid supression staffing was not and never will be cost-effective. Sorry, but I can't justify the cost of paid staffing here v. the number of calls we run when we have a pool of volunteers avaialble.

    I have also "challeneged" our command staff on training requirements and hot responses. I see issues ans I speak up about them.

    Same with a past department and hot responses to fire alarms. Completly wrong and completely unecessary. And yes, I went as far as stopping my responses to alarm trips because running hot bothered me that much.

    I do what I think is right.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  13. #13
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I do what I think is right.
    Yet, no one, even within your own department, seems to agrees with you. At what point do you start to see the pattern?

    On another fire service website, your bio has the following question & answer:
    Top issues in your department:
    Staffing, training


    Yet your argue that your chief shouldn't add additional career staffing, and you try to justify that your members shouldn't attend Firefighter I & II classes. Which is it? You have staffing and training issues, or you don't?
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 05-31-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Prove to me that I'm wrong and I'll shut up.
    It's been done and you didn't.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Yet, no one, even within your own department, seems to agrees with you. At what point do you start to see the pattern?

    On another fire service website, your bio has the following question & answer:
    Top issues in your department:
    Staffing, training


    Yet your argue that your chief shouldn't add additional career staffing, and you try to justify that your members shouldn't attend Firefighter I & II classes. Which is it? You have staffing and training issues, or you don't?
    Legtimate question.

    The majority of the time staffing is not an issue on my combo department. We currently have an active volunteer staff, however, thier availability has begun to decline slightly as of late, hence, the timing regarding the hiring of additional paid staff. IMO, the solution to staffing is not spending over 50K per man to add one additional firefighter per shift. I beleive that the solution did lie in additional volunteer compensation, which would have likely increase the response of existing volunteers and assist in the recruitement of additional volunteers. In the long-run this would have been far more effective than spending close to 150K per year to add one paid firefighter per shift. Paid supression staffing on a department with our run demographics is by and large not cost-effective, and likely never will be.

    I had no issues in hiring one additional daytime firefighter, primarily for admin, maintainence and testing functions and to periodically supplement our volunteers during the day when thier response numbers are reduced. That purpose would have been cost-effective.

    There was much discussion reagrding the hiring of addtional staffing v. incentives.

    On my volunteer department, staffing is a significant issue especially given that any paid staffing is not an option.

    As far as training, yes volunteer training is a problem. The fact is the increasing training demands are making it very difficult for a member, with a family, or working a full and part-time job, to volunteer. This is especially true is training requirements are increased as some would like to see. At this time, LA has no training requirements for volunteer or career members, and while at this time there seems to be no move afoot to change that, down the line, requirements could be put into place.

    We have a working training system that incorporated the elements of FFI/FFII that are in play within our district that has produced and continues to produce some pretty fair firefighters. But even in our system which has modern training facilities on-site, a number of in-house instructors and adequate funding for outside training, the issue of time is still a major challenge.

    My VFD training is much more of an issue as we lack facilities and to a lesser extent, certified instructors.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-31-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    Unfortunately there is a very fine line between challenging, opinons, and specualtion. I ahve provided the definitions for you, not to insult your inteligence, not many people on here know about LA's department; all regions are different in various things such as responsibilities, independance, staffing, terminology and etc. We may know only what we see as an "attack" on a chief officer, but all we see on the forum is how things are done at our departments, how our staff acts accordingly, your terminology, your personal responsibilities and etc. So if you think LA is "attacking" his department, why don't you look at the personnel in your department, the slugs who complain about everything, and start fixing your department before coming across the internet and only addressing the "problem" that you see. LA's opinions might be just the tip of the iceberg, try before you pry.

    BSI scene safe, take it easy.

    Challenge: –verb (used with object)
    11. to summon to a contest of skill, strength, etc.
    12. to take exception to; call in question: to challenge the wisdom of a procedure.
    13. to demand as something due or rightful.

    Opinion: –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
    3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second Medical opinion.

    Speculation: –noun
    1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.
    2. a single instance or process of consideration.
    3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

    - 6Duron1

    Here's a piece or 2 of advice for you.

    Mind your own business.

    Follow your own advice in your signature line and don't worry your little head about what I am doing.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    FyredUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have no issue with being challenged, and have no problems with challenging folks when things simply don't seem right. Prove to me that I'm wrong and I'll shut up.

    You describe challenging my current chief over hiring staffing. I beleive and still belive that hiring personnel and digging my combo department unecessarily deeper into the morass of additional paid supression staffing was not and never will be cost-effective. Sorry, but I can't justify the cost of paid staffing here v. the number of calls we run when we have a pool of volunteers avaialble.

    I have also "challeneged" our command staff on training requirements and hot responses. I see issues ans I speak up about them.

    Same with a past department and hot responses to fire alarms. Completly wrong and completely unecessary. And yes, I went as far as stopping my responses to alarm trips because running hot bothered me that much.

    I do what I think is right.
    My point entirely is that it is UNPROFESSIONAL to come online to this, or any other forum, and challenge your FDs policies, Chief, hiring policy, staffing issues and more in the manner YOU do.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    My point entirely is that it is UNPROFESSIONAL to come online to this, or any other forum, and challenge your FDs policies, Chief, hiring policy, staffing issues and more in the manner YOU do.
    There is notjhing on here that I haven't discussed with him.

    You call it challenging. I call it having a different perspective.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in the southeast.
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I have never made any bones about not making friends in the firehouse and speaking my mind about what we do and how we do it. There are some that agree with me. There are some that do not. And there are some that consider me an a**hole.

    And yes, expressing my opinions about operations and policies that I disagree with have cost me officer's positions in the past, and likely will in the future. And there are those that perceive me as an a**hole because I do draw some very deep lines in the sand about what I consider right and wrong.

    I have friends in the firehouse. I also have people that can't stand me. But in the end, I'm not here to make friends. Even as a volly, I'm here to do a job in the way that I view the job, and yes, that means some folks will dislike me.

    So be it.

    Yeah we have those same types in the Marine Corps. Guess what happens to those guys in a combat situation and they go down?

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    It's been done and you didn't.
    Actually in many cases it hasn't.

    I asked for hard and cold numbers in some discussions, and never got them.

    Usually I got stories about without any statistical documentation.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Actually in many cases it hasn't.

    I asked for hard and cold numbers in some discussions, and never got them.

    Usually I got stories about without any statistical documentation.
    Maybe so, but what about the rest of the cases?

    What about situations in which there aren't any "statistics" to be "documented"? For example, I know myself and others have repeatedly provided you with factual information regarding OUR Union in response to your uninformed opinions and pontifications regarding it's operations, policies, practices, etc. yet you still keep running your mouth.

  22. #22
    Back In Black
    ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    It's funny, I've never started a thread where the main subject is me... if I'm not mistaken, this isn't your first "me" thread.

    I think that is evidence enough that you stir things up and post stuff just to get attention.

    Bravo... it's worked once again.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Maybe so, but what about the rest of the cases?

    What about situations in which there aren't any "statistics" to be "documented"? For example, I know myself and others have repeatedly provided you with factual information regarding OUR Union in response to your uninformed opinions and pontifications regarding it's operations, policies, practices, etc. yet you still keep running your mouth.
    And there have been others that have contradicted that information. There are posters here that firmly state that union members can never volunteer, anywhere.

    The simple reality is that some of the disccussions that have created the most heat are situations that have no real solutions. They are ways of operating that have very traditional roots that some members can never envision changing, and then there are others that no longer see the need for operationg in that manner. As much as I would like them to be black and white issues, they are not due to the fact that they involve the culture, right or wrong (which is an subjective perception by each of us), that we have been brought up in.

    I will, as an example, never again see the need to operate in abandoned structures without concrete information regarding victims, and IMO, that can never be justified, even though my roots are in that culture. Others can never invision not operating in them. Disagreements like that will never be "solved".
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    It's funny, I've never started a thread where the main subject is me... if I'm not mistaken, this isn't your first "me" thread.

    I think that is evidence enough that you stir things up and post stuff just to get attention.

    Bravo... it's worked once again.
    I just found it amusing that two members of my department travel to class of about 15 people 1300 miles away and I'm commented on.

    Maybe it's just me though.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I just found it amusing that two members of my department travel to class of about 15 people 1300 miles away and I'm commented on.

    Maybe it's just me though.
    I (and I am pretty sure many here will agree with me) think it's pretty sad.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 AFG 1199A Are Moving
    By Pelican631 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 558
    Last Post: 08-20-2007, 07:40 PM
  2. I guess he got voted off the "Island"
    By BuzzCut1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 07:25 PM
  3. Guess What Chief Reason Did Now....
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 12:45 PM
  4. THE PROOF IS IN THE "WORM" - I GUESS
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-03-2003, 02:20 PM
  5. Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register