Thread: Air Force Fire.

Forum Member

Default Air Force Fire.

Hey everyone,
    I'm trying to pursue a career in the air force as a firefighter. My recruiter want me to choose 5 different careers and basicly pick the first that opens. I have been told that fire protection has a slim probability of getting in. My recruiter told me about 10% of all the people that request get in. My purpose for going into the air force is only become a firefighter. My older brother has beed with San Francisco's fire department for about 12 years and my twin brother just finished their fire academy. The air force interested me a little more. Basicly is there anyway I can get a guaranteed job as a firefighter these days? If so what would the procedures be of going about it? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

To my knowledge, and in a word, no.

There are only so many FF slots Air Force-wide. And a lot of people such as yourself who want to get into them.

Best of luck on your quest - but don't fret if you don't get in as a firefighter. Those four years will provide you with plenty of opportunities to learn and improve yourself, and that service (regardless of what field you end up in) will likely help you as you seek employment as a civilian FF four or so years from now.

And you can't rule out the possibility that you might discover something you like even more (if that's possible )
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I know an USAF ARFF stationed at Barksdale, LA. Prior to enlisting in the USAF he was a career firefighter who wanted to serve his country. He said it was easier becoming a civilian firefighter than it was becoming an ARFF is the USAF. If you really want to do USAF, then do it, but USAF FF's go out on patrols just like the Military Police and even take some casualties bringing the term, Rifleman first, a new meaning. Becoming a Firefighter in the civilian world is a lot easier than it is becoming an ARFF, they have the 2d highest attrition rate in the USAF, the highest is for the USAF PJs.
    Try looking to volunteer in your local area before you go into the USAF, some of the ARFFs are just given the job because they failed some SF indoc or couldn't pick a job.
    The USAF, Department of Defense, Fire Academy gives you FF1-2, Hazmat Awareness - Technician, First Responder, and after school you go onto a base and begin firefighting. After you ascertain a certain rank, you will be given the opportunity to attend rescue school. Most ARFFs volunteer on their days off because ARFFs don't get as much fires as civilians, even though it seems Civilians dont get any fires. I think San Francisco has a ride-out program, why don't you do that and see if you even like firefighting.
    Good luck to you,
    - 6Duron1
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Forum Member

You need to look through the (many) topics posted down in "Federal and Military Firefighter" forums. The very questions that you have posed have been asked and answered hundreds of times over. Do yourself a favor and spend an hour or two reading through them. You will get an idea of how to deal with recruiters (how do you know they are lying? their lips are moving) how to get a guaranteed slot, etc etc etc.

One more thing: Enlist because you want to do the patriotic thing and serve your country, not to do it "just so that you can get hired onto a civilian fire department."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

And they say nepotism is dead.

Forum Member

Agree with above

The military life is not for everyone. If you go in and get stuck in some job, even though it sounds good on paper, you will have a miserable four years

You might tell the recruiter that you only want fire and you are willing to wait for an opening.

Not sure of that wash out rate unless it is due to not being in some form of physical shape

Worldwide Menace

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    I know an USAF ARFF stationed at Barksdale, LA. Prior to enlisting in the USAF he was a career firefighter who wanted to serve his country. He said it was easier becoming a civilian firefighter than it was becoming an ARFF is the USAF. If you really want to do USAF, then do it, but USAF FF's go out on patrols just like the Military Police and even take some casualties bringing the term, Rifleman first, a new meaning. Becoming a Firefighter in the civilian world is a lot easier than it is becoming an ARFF, they have the 2d highest attrition rate in the USAF, the highest is for the USAF PJs.
    Try looking to volunteer in your local area before you go into the USAF, some of the ARFFs are just given the job because they failed some SF indoc or couldn't pick a job.
    The USAF, Department of Defense, Fire Academy gives you FF1-2, Hazmat Awareness - Technician, First Responder, and after school you go onto a base and begin firefighting. After you ascertain a certain rank, you will be given the opportunity to attend rescue school. Most ARFFs volunteer on their days off because ARFFs don't get as much fires as civilians, even though it seems Civilians dont get any fires. I think San Francisco has a ride-out program, why don't you do that and see if you even like firefighting.
    Good luck to you,
    - 6Duron1
    A lot of misinformation here. Let me just fix some stuff.

-USAF Firefighters do not go out on patrols. US Army maybe, but not USAF. "Rifleman First" is used most often with the Marine Corps and the Army.

-USAF FF slots are very limited and competitive. I've never heard of a SF guy getting dropped into Fire, But I have heard of PJ's getting dropped into Fire after they have been dropped from PJ school.

-DoD Fire academy graduates end up with First Responder, FF 1 and 2, Hazmat Awareness and Operations and Airport Firefighter (ARFF). Haz-Mat Technician comes some time later after you complete your Driver/Operator (5 Level) certifications, Unless your home department brings in or sets up a class to train a group. Rescue school is also like Haz-Tech though slots are very tough to get unless your fire dept. brings in someone to teach a class.

-Many USAF Firefighters do Volunteer in their off time. Not much fire happens on a base. When I served in the Military, I volunteered as well. I got a lot of great training and ran more Working fire-related calls than I did on the military side.

I am currently a Civilian firefighter who got his start through USAF Fire.. I served 4 years as a Air Natl. Guardsman Firefighter before resigning (Key Personnel) to take my current position as a Civilian DoD Firefighter/Driver-Operator/Haz-Tech (GS-07/2) at a large Military base. Before the USAF, I served as an Active Duty US Navy Aircraft Director (ABH) for 8 years. As a USAF Firefighter I have deployments under my belt including Baghdad, Iraq and I've never done a Patrol outside the wire.

-Damien

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    A lot of misinformation here. Let me just fix some stuff.

-USAF Firefighters do not go out on patrols. US Army maybe, but not USAF. "Rifleman First" is used most often with the Marine Corps and the Army.

I was just posting what I had a friend who is AD tell me. Maybe he volunteered for RAMS?

-USAF FF slots are very limited and competitive. I've never heard of a SF guy getting dropped into Fire, But I have heard of PJ's getting dropped into Fire after they have been dropped from PJ school.

I didn't think I said they were dropped from SF to FF, if that was the impression you got, then I'm sorry. My understanding that many drop outs go to Security Forces. I was saying their attrition rate is the second highest.

-DoD Fire academy graduates end up with First Responder, FF 1 and 2, Hazmat Awareness and Operations and Airport Firefighter (ARFF). Haz-Mat Technician comes some time later after you complete your Driver/Operator (5 Level) certifications, Unless your home department brings in or sets up a class to train a group. Rescue school is also like Haz-Tech though slots are very tough to get unless your fire dept. brings in someone to teach a class.

I thought they were now trained to have tech, another info bit that my friend told me.

-Many USAF Firefighters do Volunteer in their off time. Not much fire happens on a base. When I served in the Military, I volunteered as well. I got a lot of great training and ran more Working fire-related calls than I did on the military side.

Yeah, we even had some of their "officers" volunteering as peons, they loved it!

I am currently a Civilian firefighter who got his start through USAF Fire.. I served 4 years as a Air Natl. Guardsman Firefighter before resigning (Key Personnel) to take my current position as a Civilian DoD Firefighter/Driver-Operator/Haz-Tech (GS-07/2) at a large Military base. Before the USAF, I served as an Active Duty US Navy Aircraft Director (ABH) for 8 years. As a USAF Firefighter I have deployments under my belt including Baghdad, Iraq and I've never done a Patrol outside the wire.

Sorry if I posted incorrect info, just throwing stuff out there that I've heard. Thank you for your service.
    -Damien
    My replies to your answers are in bold.Stay safe man,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvail41 View Post
    Basicly is there anyway I can get a guaranteed job as a firefighter these days? If so what would the procedures be of going about it? Thanks.

Yes. I too looked into this in the fall/winter of 2010. My recruiter told me he would sign and guarantee me in writing that I would do firefighting, and firefighting only. I already have a BS is Safety and Fire Science, EMT, blah blah blah, so I don't know if that made a difference or not. From persons I've talked to, you CAN get it in writing...whether your recruiter will do it or not is the snag...

Forum Member

Thanks everyone for their post. Reason why I ask is because I have been getting both answers. Actually yesterday a firefighter in the air force who is stationed at beale came to my job. He enlisted in 07 and said his recruiter called him after 2 weeks with a guaranteed job. One thing he did say that caught my attention was that af fire fighting isn't the same as civilian ff. I. In which ways is it different?

Forum Member

My friend at barksdale has only fought one fire in his entire usaf career. A gas pipeline fire.
    They train more than they fight fires because fire PREVENTION is their main job, not fire putter outter. Schedule a ride-a-long with your local fire company. There is always someone hiring someone, look at the surronding county departments too. You might have to travel to get a job. Another great option would be to volunteer to see if you really wanna learn. Most Volunteer/Career Departments have part time opportunities for vollies. Where are you located?

Forum Member

One thing he did say that caught my attention was that af fire fighting isn't the same as civilian ff. I. In which ways is it different?
    Are you sure he wasn't referring to structural vs. aircraft crash rescue firefighting?

Forum Member

they also do structure.

Forum Member

I'm located out of Sacramento CA. The firefighter out of beale did not really give any examples as far as differences between the two. I understand somewhat but what would be the description of " fire prevention" in the af. Ive done alot of research already. but the more the better. This is all I want to do. I'm sure its similar with alot of other people trying become a ff in the af. I need to know whats the best ways to go.about this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    they also do structure.
    But not very well.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand somewhat but what would be the description of " fire prevention" in the af.
    Based on my work with the fire department on an Army post, the biggest difference is that the fire department on a military installation has a bigger "hammer" to wield with regard to virtually all aspects of fire prevention.

Building occupants don't say "no" when an inspector shows up on their doorstep, and violations will be corrected, or somebody will have to explain why to their next level of command. If a new building is going up the fire department gets a say in design, etc, to ensure that all code requirements are met. If you work in a building on a military installation, you can expect one or two fire drills per year - it's in the regs and they will happen, including accountability for occupants once everyone is supposedly out.

Most "commercial" occupancies (ie, admin, industrial, etc) have alarms that ring into a central point. Very often the quarters (housing) do as well. Sprinklers are also very commonplace.

Companies regularly do inspections and walkthroughs - and again, the building occupants don't say "no."

If a fire does occur, the responsible individual could face military discipline (if military).

As a result of all that, actual fires on military installations a rare, although they do occur. The military installation I know of spends most of their time chasing AFAs, MVAs, and medical calls.

My son is now a federal firefighter - he said he once worked eleven shifts (24 hrs per) without turning a wheel on an alarm.

Many military installations are also part of the area mutual aid plan. They don't often need help, but they do go off the installation - which is about the only time they actually get to fight fire.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information