Forum Member

Default Basic USAR instructor

We've been discussing some new topics for training at our department and came up with basic urban search and rescue.

We are a rural department in eastern Kentucky. Tornadoes are pretty rare here, but we do have flash flooding problems occasionally.

We're not looking to be a FEMA strike team or any of that stuff. I'm looking more like an awareness level: How can we assess the situation, how do we mark searched structures, etc.

Who at FEMA could I contact to identify an instructor? I am told KyEM doesn't have anybody with those credentials.

Thanks!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

You might want to begin here

http://www.training.fema.gov/Instruc...quirements.asp

Once there look around and maybe where it says, contact us, do that.

I think I know where you are going and what you are looking for.

It is basic operation for floods, storms, and the like. Probably much of what you are doing now. Check with the KY folks about the CERT program and gleam some of that material off.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

EastKy,

Check you inbox. I sent you a PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    Tornadoes are pretty rare here, but we do have flash flooding problems occasionally.
    Never say never. Up here in the wilds of NY, tornados are even rarer, but they do happen.

I'm also looking at about the same thing, along with making folks aware that they need to consider the big picture at such incidents, not just the person with the nasty looking head lac standing in front of them. In the meantime, I'm going to put together some laminated cards with the standard search markings and store them in the Rescue.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Whatever you end up doing, make sure your people understand the USAR marking system. On a recent deployment we ran into a lot of buildings that had been "searched" by the local VFD but being as they weren't marked properly we had no idea of the results of said search.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

And to add to that, Florida has a pretty good structural collapse awareness class on thier online training system. Check it out.

http://www.florida-elearning.com/
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Give the Ohio EMA a call. In the decade since 9/11 they have set up regional USAR teams in addition to OH-1 the FEMA team. I am a member of the Region 1 team and while we cannot handle as much as a FEMA team, our team has been deployed to a few tornados (one with extremely severe damage and 7 fatalities) and a building collapse where they successfully rescued one with an additional fatality.

Also, send me a PM and I might be able to get you in contact with some people who will probably be more than willing to help you out in any way possible!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Whatever you end up doing, make sure your people understand the USAR marking system. On a recent deployment we ran into a lot of buildings that had been "searched" by the local VFD but being as they weren't marked properly we had no idea of the results of said search.
    That's one of the key things we want to cover. As I said, we don't aspire to be "Hillbilly TF-1". We just want to learn proper procedures so that we make the most of our efforts and don't undermine those who come in later.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

One of the most useful tasks is clearing the "priority" streets , not glamorous, but necessary. Do some electrical awarness classes and look into having your guys trained to USFS sawyer level. Work up from there.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    That's one of the key things we want to cover. As I said, we don't aspire to be "Hillbilly TF-1". We just want to learn proper procedures so that we make the most of our efforts and don't undermine those who come in later.

A few of the command officers for our USAR team have been going to area departments and basically doing this sort of thing. A "USAR Awareness" course more or less. Everyone I know who has gone through it said it was a very informative class.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Thread Information