Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kaui FD

Forum Member

Default Kaui FD

Is anybody familiar with the testing process (written/physical agility) with Kauai Fire Department?

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-14-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Forum Member

From what I have heard, if you are not a born and raised local you will probably not get hired on one of the Hawaiian islands. I could be wrong, but I have heard this from several sources. I was also considering flying and testing for a few of the Hawaiian departments, but everyone I talked to who went through the process basically told me I would be wasting my time. Please don't get discouraged by my post, I wish you the best of luck, just do some research on the demographics of the department before investing in the testing process. Honestly I would love to be proved wrong, is anyone else on the forum a current employee of a Hawaiian department that was not born and raised locally? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KHawke View Post
    From what I have heard, if you are not a born and raised local you will probably not get hired on one of the Hawaiian islands. I could be wrong, but I have heard this from several sources. I was also considering flying and testing for a few of the Hawaiian departments, but everyone I talked to who went through the process basically told me I would be wasting my time. Please don't get discouraged by my post, I wish you the best of luck, just do some research on the demographics of the department before investing in the testing process. Honestly I would love to be proved wrong, is anyone else on the forum a current employee of a Hawaiian department that was not born and raised locally? Thanks
    I've heard the same, and from seeing the starting wage, it would be hard to live off that if you werent a local.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Forum Member

I know, that kinda sucks. I have heard that as well, but Im gonna give it a shot. It will at least be a nice little vacation. What's crazy is they don't even do interviews. They take the top 40 written to move on to the physical agility.

Forum Member

Each Island is a County FD. Yes, locals have the advantage. Weíve spent a few vacations on Kauai.

Some have tried being a life guard hoping to make it into the KFD. Few do. The written weeds out many in their testing. They still might not have an oral. Last I heard the firefighters werenít EMTís?

I talked to an AMR Medic in Hanalei one day and he said he got hired on the KFD but couldnít make it on the pay and had to go back to ARM. If you want live there you have to have at least 2 jobs. KFD fronds on having side jobs.

Iíve heard many candidates test for the other islands. Many trips over and few job offers. Medics have an advantage.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Last time they tested (2007ish?) one of the requirements was being an ocean lifeguard. I'd look into that and see if that's still the case. It's not impossible to get hired from off island, but if you don't have a family structure out there it's very hard to live in a super expensive place like Kauai on KFD pay. If you were 25 and single I'd say go for it. 35 with family? Unless your spouse brings in $, you'd be in a world of hurt.

Forum Member

KFD is currently accepting applications, and will be accepting through 6/25/13. The written exam are tentatively being held on 7/22/13 or 7/23/13, and the physical ability test will be help 7/29/13 and 7/30/13.

To apply visit http://agency.governmentjobs.com/kauai.

Thread Information