Forum Member

Default Man down, stop or not?

I was driving by my local DMV in williamsburg and saw a man lying on his back on the concrete near a bus stop. So I thought hey, he's just resting for a second (it was hot yesterday) but I just realized he wasn't moving, so I just drove around the block and came back around and I stopped my car and asked him if he was okay, guess what: no response.
    So I being to notice it looked like his sunglasses were knocked off, you know how you turn over on the couch with you sunglasses on and try to go to sleep but the arms hurt your face, so I pull in the driveway of DMV and call 911.
    My medkit (just basic 1st responder stuff) is in my trunk, it hasn't been used so it's begging to see sunlight, but when I call 911 dispatch, they tell me not to get out! So this guy could be dead or on his way, but I was told not to get out because I could get involved in a court lawsuit if he was dead or something. So I just sit there watching the guy, stuned as heck, and decided I was going to get my EMT ASAP and start volunteering again (i am in between departments)!!!!
    Anyways another person walking the sidewalks finally saw him and began shouting to see if he was ok, he began to call 911 when they pulled up, finally I see the guy moving. I don't know if the guy had a heatstroke or what, but he was out.
    So the reason for this posting is: Is it right to fear a "lawsuit" or court case instead of getting out and conducting our skills that we were taught to use in this situation?
    Last edited by 6Duron1; 06-02-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Forum Member

You have to love some 911 call takers

If it was thier loved one they would be going nuts for someone to help them

Yes you can be sued ask mcdonalds about thier hot coffee

Check good samaritan laws in your state and check with a local ems chief

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Check good samaritan laws in your state
    This. Here in NS, you cannot be sued for rendering help unless it it grossly outside of your abilities. For example, if you checked his pulse, noted he had none and began CPR (which you have been qualified to perform) but cracked a few ribs you cannot be sued. However, if you checked his airway, noted he was choking, then decided to break out your trusty pocket knife and perform a tracheotomy... well, you better hope to god you do it right and that the individual recovers 100%, because you can be sued into the ground and criminally charged for attempting medical procedures that you are obviously utterly incapable of performing - regardless of how many episodes of ER you've watched.

Forum Member

Virginia's Good Samaritan Law:

http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...m00.vaoems.pdf

Be govern accordingly
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Ask these guys if doing nothing is a good option.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Yeah this happened last night after I read about this at work, less than 2 hours later. not good. Yeah I knew VA had some kind of good samiritan laws just didn't know the specifics. I am just glad he started moving around.

Forum Member

but when I call 911 dispatch, they tell me not to get out! So this guy could be dead or on his way, but I was told not to get out because I could get involved in a court lawsuit if he was dead or something.
    Really? 911 dispatch telling you not to help as you may be involved in a lawsuit?

You just gave that guy and/or his family reason to start a lawsuit against the 911 service.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Let's talk fire trucks!

I'm not surprised about the response from the call taker. So many agencies across the US have had to adopt policies like this based on their perceived threat of liability....after consultation with their attorney of course. It's a shame that it's come down to rules like this at some PSAP's.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

There are states where a civilian does not have legal protections, such as New York, where only EMT and above is protected by Good Samaritan legislation.

I always will stop for a possible EMS situation, though in LA, there is no legal requirement to stop, even if trained and EMS certified, unless you are on-duty, which under the law specifies you are being paid. My department requires we stop out of district if we are in a department vehicle or in a department t-shirt visable to the public.

One thing to remember is to carefully scan the situation and surroundings before rendering aid as you may be stepping into a dangerous situation.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

yeah I looked at it, it was at one of the bus stops, and tahats why I drove up to him before even thinking about getting out of my car. He legs were on the street and he was laying in the grass. Now that I think about it, his arms were bent toward his body.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    yeah I looked at it, it was at one of the bus stops, and tahats why I drove up to him before even thinking about getting out of my car. He legs were on the street and he was laying in the grass. Now that I think about it, his arms were bent toward his body.
    One thing to remember is that unless you have recieved a card in that state, you are still only certified to operate in LA. You have no rights in the state of VA to operate in that state at the level you operated here.

So technically, you are not certified to render aid. Keep that in mind.

Forum Member

I wasn't going to do First responder stuff, I was getting ready for CPR!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    I wasn't going to do First responder stuff, I was getting ready for CPR!
    All I'm saying is be careful about what you do because you are now living in state where you are not certified.

Just think before you act.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-02-2011 at 10:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can understand the 911 call taker possibly stating that the caller should not get involved - as a matter of protecting the caller from possible harm if the situation became ugly - as it could do.

They call taker knew help was on the way, it was in an area that should enjoy a fairly rapid response (bus stops are usually in areas that are not that rural) and the call taker has no real idea about the caller or their capabilities.

With all that said - what is the reason for the question? Was there a question? Is humanity even alive out there still? You see a man down, you at least perform a cursory check. Hell, hit the airhorn and see if there is a response. (or whatever you are equipped with)

Hell, even LA says he would stop and render aid. Maybe traffic control while he waited for real responders.

Forum Member

Duron you are stupid, you shoulda got out and shown them how we southern boys does it!
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

Seriously, not qualified to render aid? Not qualified to check if a guy is dead or alive, maybe apply pressure to a bleeding wound? You are talking about first responder level stuff here not brain surgery. Almost everyone is capable of rendering first responder level aid.

Forum Member

Ignore anything LA moron tells you. He's the same guy who blatently said he would not help a child out of a burning car outside his own district because workmans comp wouldn't cover him if he got a sunburn. He's probably the dispatcher that told you not to help.

This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Nowhere in any dispatch protocol does it encourage the caller not to help. The whole point is to provide PRE-ARRIVAL HELP.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Nowhere in any dispatch protocol does it encourage the caller not to help. The whole point is to provide PRE-ARRIVAL HELP.
    I respectfully disagree with this, as a former comm center supervisor and training officer. Many agencies are varying their approach to handling callers who wish to get involved, for fear of being sued by a good samaritan who was "told" by the dispatcher to do something.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this, as a former comm center supervisor and training officer. Many agencies are varying their approach to handling callers who wish to get involved, for fear of being sued by a good samaritan who was "told" by the dispatcher to do something.
    Extremely huge difference in being "told" to do something and being "told" not to.

Basic humanity should lead you to do something more than worry about getting sued.

Society is doomed.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Exactly, Bones. The call taker wouldn't have to say anything if he/she wasn't asked by the caller. If the caller does say, "What should I do?" the call taker only needs to say, "I can't advise or order you to do anything. Help is on the way." No liability there, but the caller has not been ORDERED to do or not do anything.

As emergency personnel, we know a little more than John or Jane Q. Public. For example, most civilians who would bother to help might not think to watch for a weapon when rolling over the patient. So our action might prevent a less qualified person from getting hurt.

Use your judgment and good sense, but for crying out loud, check on the patient.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice everyone!
    It's just one of those things I guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    There are states where a civilian does not have legal protections, such as New York, where only EMT and above is protected by Good Samaritan legislation.

I always will stop for a possible EMS situation, though in LA, there is no legal requirement to stop, even if trained and EMS certified, unless you are on-duty, which under the law specifies you are being paid. My department requires we stop out of district if we are in a department vehicle or in a department t-shirt visable to the public.

One thing to remember is to carefully scan the situation and surroundings before rendering aid as you may be stepping into a dangerous situation.
    Its funny in that in all of my 42 yrs in the fire service, ALL in NYS, I have never been told that the Good Samaritan Law only covered EMT's and above. In fact EMT's were still several years off when I started. So either you or I have been given some false information.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fitguy51 View Post
    Its funny in that in all of my 42 yrs in the fire service, ALL in NYS, I have never been told that the Good Samaritan Law only covered EMT's and above. In fact EMT's were still several years off when I started. So either you or I have been given some false information.
    I could be wrong as this info comes from when I transferred my VT EMT to NYS EMT back inthe early 80's.

Tried doing a search but couldn't get any results specific to NYS.

Forum Member

If you're an EMT, you aren't a good samaritan. You are a medical professional, regulated accordingly by your state. The point of a good sam law is to protect the untrained but well-intentioned person who tries to help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    If you're an EMT, you aren't a good samaritan. You are a medical professional, regulated accordingly by your state. The point of a good sam law is to protect the untrained but well-intentioned person who tries to help.
    It's my understanding that basic EMTs are indeed covered under the Good Samaritan laws, since they usually don't do any invasive procedures. That is changing with the addition of epi, blood glucose monitoring, and albuterol (in NY, and on a case-by-case basis), but the strictly BLS stuff is covered.

Heck, a purely BLS EMT can't really do a whole lot more than the CPR/First Aid students I teach, when you get right down to it. EMT's just get a heck of a lot more background training.

When you get into invasive procedures (IV's, airways other than OP, meds, defib, etc) then, yes, the Good Samaritan laws go right out the window and your malpractice insurance kicks in.

And that's been my understanding since I first became a NYS EMT better than 25 years ago. I'm a "critical care" (often known as "Level 3" in NY) now, so yes, I do have to work under medical control when the ALS stuff comes out.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information