Forum Member

Default Spartan Gladiator A/C Issues

Once again our $440,000 engine does not have a working A/C. Its a 2009 Gladiator. Last year condensation was leaking so bad they had to retrofit the system with a venturi fan so loud it sounds like a tire leak. Now it just doesnt cool period.

Anyone else having Spartan A/C problems or just lack of Spartan customer service in general?

Forum Member

that sucks, is there a warranty on it?
    Also, you might want to start stone-aging it and roll the windows down until you find out whats going on with it.
    So much for the phalanx
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD2005 View Post
    Once again our $440,000 engine does not have a working A/C. Its a 2009 Gladiator. Last year condensation was leaking so bad they had to retrofit the system with a venturi fan so loud it sounds like a tire leak. Now it just doesnt cool period.

Anyone else having Spartan A/C problems or just lack of Spartan customer service in general?
    Funny you should mention that, Erik. We were out last week on something where we were in the truck for over an hour. The A/C was working well when we left but by the time we returned it was blowing warm. The next day it was fine. I'm waiting for it to do the same thing to see if maybe we got a buildup of ice on the evaporator. Also, I hadn't heard the condensate bilge pump running, but today it was.

I talked to Chris and Jason, they both said that the pump motors have been an ongoing problem. Jason called Spartan, they said ours is out of warranty (2007). If I remember correctly, yours got changed from a motor to that newer air evacuation system. I was considering something like that.

I don't know about yours but I suspect that it's probably a Red Dot system, same as ours. In Phila., the local Thermo-King dealer is also the Red Dot dealer. In 1991 they installed a Red Dot system in our '89 Duplex. It's worked almost trouble free ever since. So if I continue to have problems with our Spartan, I just may see what they can do.

The reason I mention this is that you might want to check with your local Thermo-King dealer to see if they also do Red Dot. If not, check with other transport refrigeration dealers in your area to see if one of them is. I'm sure there's no shortage of them where you are. Good luck and let us know how you make out. - Sam

Forum Member

Yes, Ours is slightly older a 2000 model year. We had to replace every line and fitting in the system. WE could not get the lines to hold. Added a die to the system and every single fitting was leaking. The guys that ran all the new lines figure the wrong size dies were used to put the crimp fittings on. So they held for a while and then started leaking.

SBLGFD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    So if I continue to have problems with our Spartan, I just may see what they can do.
    No accidents at 27th & Fairmount this time, please.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sorry Erik. If I could go to bat for you guys I would....
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    No accidents at 27th & Fairmount this time, please.
    Try 7th & Fairmount (maybe 9th). TK was at 610 N. 3rd (in sight of the FAB), we were trying to get to Broad St. Certainly wouldn't have been west of Broad. TK's now on Holstein Av. in Eastwick (69's local).

Forum Member

CE11,

That bilge pump is a pain to change. I pulled apart one of our rigs to replace the pump only to find the connection was bad. Still put the new pump anyway after all that labour. I believe you are correct, I think they are Red Dot systems.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    CE11,

That bilge pump is a pain to change. I pulled apart one of our rigs to replace the pump only to find the connection was bad. Still put the new pump anyway after all that labour. I believe you are correct, I think they are Red Dot systems.
    Thanks for that advice, VanIsle. I think this is one job that, if needed, is going to an outside shop.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Try 7th & Fairmount (maybe 9th). TK was at 610 N. 3rd (in sight of the FAB), we were trying to get to Broad St. Certainly wouldn't have been west of Broad. TK's now on Holstein Av. in Eastwick (69's local).
    7th and Fairmount.....27th and Fairmount.....Is there a difference given the surroundings?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    CE11,

And I only thought bilge pumps were on boats !!!

Forum Member

Really....it is a bilge pump. I was surprised when I opened the parts box from Spartan.

Forum Member

At FDIC this year a Spartan sales rep pointed out the new design for the AC drain in a Gladiator chassis. They have gone back to a gravity style drain. If you get a chance to see a new chassis you can see a small v shaped channel that runs from the AC unit toward the windshield. Not that it is any help to you right now just FYI to those on this thread. In what is otherwise a quality chassis the AC seems to be one of those things that keeps popping up.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies all. Thanks Joel and Sam.

I was out of the country (hayastan) but am now back in the USA.

I will see what we can do about this. We were really excited about having a roof mounted AC so the doghouse would be smaller but we were not expecting so many problems. I am pretty sure we will not buy another Spartan for a long time.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies all. Thanks Joel and Sam.

I was out of the country (hayastan) but am now back in the USA.
    Hope you had a good time. I'll be interested to learn your impression of our ancestors' homeland.

Forum Member

The system is made by Mobile Climate Control (MCC) not Red Dot. Just a FYI.

Forum Member

Our reserve truck's A/C is getting fixed at a shop right now. If they pass the test with that, we will be taking it there. Spartan was not very helpful on the phone. They complained about the "Spartan Authorized Service Center" we took it to the past few times for the A/C.

Forum Member

Smile Air Cond ?

Most of the guys on this forum are spoiled wanting a A.C. unit that really works, our Seagrave engine has'nt pumped out cold air in years and leaks water. And our Mack CF the central air works fine, just as long as you roll down both cab windows and open the rear slidding window. Don't feel bad " Spartan "is not the only chassis with AC problems.

Thread Information