Forum Member

Default fire dept. employee evaluations

This looked like the proper place to post this but i am looking for ideas or whatever on writing new employee evaluations. Currently we are using a standarized city wide form. As the RDOs in our department makes promotion to Lieutenant we have to take on a nproject to benefit the department, and as i was attending my first officer's meeting it was a suggestion made to me to tackle this. I have been getting a few examples from different departments who have made available on the net and I would appreciate any and all the help i can get.

Thanks,

Lt. Terry Whitehead
    Oxford Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't recall the exact format of our evaluations, but I can forward them to you later if you want. We rate on a variety of topics, in grades ranging from 'needs improvement' to 'superior/outstanding'. Evals are done on annual basis, but if brought up on disciplinary charges, a member's review should be redone to reflect the current situation.

But since you brought them up, how much part do they play in your world? Here, they are a determining factor in layoffs (should it ever come to that). If/when the city decides to layoff, supposedly the layoff list will be ranked by last evaluation then least seniority. In other words, a "subpar" rookie goes before a "subpar" 20 yr. vet (as it should be); but that "subpar" vet (who BTW had 19 yrs. of "outstanding" reviews) will go before a "satisfactory" rookie. The net result is that unless a disciplinary action, almost every evaluation is glowing report, or else the officer risks getting his guys jammed up if the city decide to clear house.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Forum Member

We do our evals once a year and it is a typical paper trail, they can be used in promotions and as well as layoffs however i have not seen this since the department was put into place and my dad was the first chief in the department back in the early 1970s. However they can and have been used as a tool in regards to handling a displinary matter for a policy infraction or incident. The guys are just wanting something more closely nrelated to their jobs and i would love to see what other departments are doing in this area.

Forum Member

Default Evals

My major gripe with evaluations is that when you do one....it honest. Most just go through the paces and fill in all the blanks. Then when promotion comes around the rater makes them walk on water. If your going to do them do them correctly with all the warts and all. With that said.."That was my old Department." Now that I'm retired and work for a small Paid/Volunteer Department they are done correctly and honestly. They are used in the firing and laying off of the paid staff.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information