Forum Member

Default Ladder Inspection/Testing

Hello We are having a ISO Inspection Tuesday. We have all the paper work from them and have all the pump testing and hose testing info they are asking about. I am wondering if they will be asking about if we get our Ladders inspected and testing each year. If they do we are in trouble because we don't do that. I believe it is NFPA 1932 says it needs to be annually. Does anyone have any idea if they will be asking about the ladders or not. We are in Ohio if that makes any difference.
    Thanks
    Tim

Forum Member

Default ISO Slayer

Believe it or not ISO does not require your ground ladders to be tested.... The aerial device is different. ISO requires annual testing of the aerial device and will require a minimum of three years of records showing compliance, I have seen where an ISO Field Representative required five years worth of records. NFPA requires all ladders to be tested... and real world has its own set of requirements, as does your world.... Please remember, you are taking an ISO TEST, so follow their rules and you will score the most possible points...
    David

Forum Member

Again, the beauty of ISO and it's inconsistencies rears it's head...

Our last 2 ISO reviews, 3 years worth of ground ladder test records were asked for and reviewed. Ladders that were on the trucks and/or engines that did not have current testing (and heat detection stickers) were not counted.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default ISO Slayer

What you have faced is a Field Rep who is too big for his britches as my grandfather would have said... According to the Fire Suppression Rating Schedule (FSRS) Table 544C Aerial ladder/platform tests you should follow NFPA 1914 - Testing Fire Department Aerial devices. This does not address ground ladders and the ISO guy knows that. According to Page 458 of the Field Procedures Reference Guide (FPRG) it states that "To be credited, an aerial ladder or elevating platfrom should comply with the general requirements of NFPA standard no 1901, Automotive Fire Apparatus, so that we do not find ourselves in the position of crediting a piece of equipment that is unsatisfactory for use in the fire service"
    The FSRS is readily available for anyone.... The FPRG is the book that the ISO guy has to figure out ISO's requirements for what they are telling you to do. No where in the FPRG does it indicate that ground ladders are to be tested, only the aerial device.

This is a point that we have had to bring up with one ISO Field Rep in the past.... When we asked him to provide the documentation that ground ladders should be tested, he was unable and we moved on beyond that point.... FULL CREDIT. Why? because it is NOT required by ISO... If they continue to insist... ask to speak to his supervisor.

Now, do I think you should test ground ladders.... YES, but I know of fire departments that have destroyed BRAND NEW ground ladders with testing, one after the other..... Not good business. Now you could argue that the ladder FAILED when tested and during testing is better than during an emergency.... But have you ever watched the testing of ground ladders? In my opinion, I question their abilty to withstand anything after that kind of bending.... if you have placed a ladder in a situation that would cause question in the structural abilities of that ladder... Then by all means TEST it. If it looks like it is questionable.... TEST it. If it hangs out on your apparatus and NEVER sees a fire, why would you bend it in half to prove you can...?

Remember, I said that there is ISO world, NFPA world, real world and YOUR world.... Only YOU know what is required in your world....

Have a great day...

ISO Slayer

Forum Member

No worries here,we do BOTH annuallly. T.C.

Thread Information