Forum Member

Default Oklahoma Firefighter Interest

I am new to Firehouse. I registered for the site a few weeks ago, but formally would like to say I am glad to be part of Firehouse. I have an interest in pursuing a full-time firefighter position in Oklahoma and looking for the best information. I hope all you vetern firefighters can provide me a wealth of information for a 27 year old starting from the bottom up. I get my 4 year degree in business management in two weeks. I currently work in the hotel industry, but would like to move into a field that is rewarding and not dead-end. I enjoy helping others out tremendously and I think this field is perfect. Thanks everyone for welcoming me to this forum!

-Joraco8486

Forum Member

Welcome to the forum.

If you are almost ready with your BS that is great! if you live in Tulsa, I would suggest to go to TCC and earn their AS in Fire and Emergency Services. Contact the faculty, Mr. Brown or Mr. Goswick. They are great people (the best in my eyes) and will guide you to get your career started. Get you NREMT-B (most departments require to have that), and Paramedic if you can. TTC offers a very accesible ($) class even in the summer (fast track). If you want to go beyond, research any way to get at least your FFI certification. EOCTECH in the OKC area offers I would say "the best training" in this field. Get involved in your community! Here in Tulsa, there are several ways you can be part of it.

Having a BS in management, an AS in fire and emergency services, and at least EMT-B will help you big time. Interview prep will get you through the door fast. Here in the forum there is a ton of info related to that. Test anywhere you can!

Best of luck

Forum Member

EOC is a good option, They have a firefighter academy, that will get you on a hiring list(providing you pass). IDK your thoughts on the military, but that is another option.
    Last edited by cfdasstchief; 06-12-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Forum Member

enginetercera,
    Are you with the Tulsa Fire Department by chance? If so, I was going to ask how long it has been since you have done the PAT? Do you know what is all in the PAT with Tulsa?
    Thanks!

Thread Information