Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Fort Worth is a civil service department so you can also look at TX code 143 about civil service. Also each step is important in its own right in that you need to pass to move on. The written isn't very hard but this year for the first academy (assuming there's more than one) they'll probably only move up around 100-150 guys and I believe based on last year that would mean a score of around 98. Last year I had 95 and was tied with guys between 230 and 260. So it is very important to do well on the written just to have a shot at the rest. Also know in advance that all military guys get 5 points so that is a huge disadvantage for non-military because the top score will be 105 out of 100. There will probably be 20-30 guys with scores over hundred.I will say generally speaking though Fort Worth's process is very fair. Also this year fort worth residents get 1 point bonus so maybe top score will be 106 not sure if you can get the residency on top of military.

Forum Member

Wow. Thanks for the score updates. I was curious how high you had to get to get a call to move on to the next step. If this doesn't go well and I dont get in a dept soon, the military for 4 years is sounding pretty good.

the SAFD fell through as I screwed up on my paperwork. I am really hoping I can ace this test too and move on in FW. I like FW a lot more than SA anyhow.

To those who took the test last time: What time was the test at?
    Last edited by Brockrocks; 07-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Forum Member

The above scores are just assumptions on my part. The test was in the evening last year if I remember correctly. Can't remember time specifically cause check in took a while.

Forum Member

Class start date maybe mid febuary

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gendo3 View Post
    Hi
    so
    like I'm like super new
    and saw a banner saying that Fort Worth will start recruiting tomorrow through August
    and so I joined here to learn about the job and the process
    I hope you don't mind, but I have a few questions about the process in FW, specifically that I didn't find on the site:

I understand that it's like really hard to join the dept, because of some insane number of applicants, so I'd like to request some pointers.

What are the attributes that they look for most in recruits? Is physical fitness more valued than scoring a 100 on the written test or vice versa? Is the interview more important? (I read that there used to be some lottery, but I guess not anymore?)

I'm a big, strong guy, but my cardio needs improvement, I'd imagine that I could pass the physical, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to avoid embarrassing myself by passing out due to bad cardio so I want to prepare myself before the testing. If I applied tomorrow (7/15) how much time would I have before they call me in for the physical?

Is there any affirmative action going on to hire women? or minorities? (I hope not, as I'd rather be recruited for being really awesome than the color of my skin or some other inane characteristic) and it would suck if I'm turned away because I don't have boobs or a vajayjay.

What do they look for in past experience? should I join a volunteer dept (if there even are any)?

Is it important that I apply as early as possible or would they just lump all the applications together and call them back at a predetermined time (maybe at the end of the application period?)

Thanks folks, hope to hear from you soon, for now, I'll continue scouring these forums to hopefully get a better idea of what I'd be getting into.
    here are your answers.

you take the test august 30th, they grade it, you find out your score 2 weeks later and they begin processing the top scoring candidates then, so scoring a 100 is good. If you score and 80 it doesn't matter how strong or good of an interviewer you are because you might as well focus on next years test.

it doesn't matter when you apply as long as you do it during the application period because the test is on august 30th.

Affirmative action is illegal.

no one cares what kind of experience you have or don't have. we want work ethic and teachability.

if you don't have cardio but are strong then get your rollie pollie fat *** running if you are worried about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp View Post
    here are your answers.

you take the test august 30th, they grade it, you find out your score 2 weeks later and they begin processing the top scoring candidates then, so scoring a 100 is good. If you score and 80 it doesn't matter how strong or good of an interviewer you are because you might as well focus on next years test.

it doesn't matter when you apply as long as you do it during the application period because the test is on august 30th.

Affirmative action is illegal.

no one cares what kind of experience you have or don't have. we want work ethic and teachability.

if you don't have cardio but are strong then get your rollie pollie fat *** running if you are worried about it.
    If you aren't running now, be sure to go buy yourself a good pair of actual running shoes and start running. If you do that you will be much better off and will be in front of the ball rather than trying to play catch up the whole time.Training will wear you out no matter what your condition you're in. Invest all that y'all can into the job i.e. Training, Studying, and a nice suit (Always dress sharp to each occasion. No matter how tedious it may be, it shows that you are serious, and believe me anything to make you stand out of the 4500+ will help you). Good luck to everyone that takes the test, and just know that the process is well worth the wait.

Forum Member

lol I just tested myself on the running
    it says that I need to run 1.5 miles in 14 minutes
    I made 1.3 miles in 14...
    so yea.... I'll need to work on that

MembersZone Subscriber

So in the recruitment packet it says the test has 105 cognitive and 50 non cognitive questions, and that matches exactly the Arlington test description. I just took Arlington's and didn't do as well as I would have liked, and I'm assuming its because of the non cognitive section. Can't believe people got 100's on that test without vet points, I normally test really well, and thats the first time I've not done well enough to move on. Has anyone taken both tests, are they the same?

Forum Member

Same test company different questions.

Forum Member

For all you certified guys - Houston is planning on testing sometime this fall for 2 Fast Track classes. Much better schedule and retirement than FWFD.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTX View Post
    For all you certified guys - Houston is planning on testing sometime this fall for 2 Fast Track classes. Much better schedule and retirement than FWFD.
    ...yeah and an ambulance, and less money:

Fort Worth-
    Highest Salary $61,239
    Lowest Salary $50,377
    Median Salary $61,239
    Last Updated June 21, 2010

Houston-
    Highest Salary $58,954
    Lowest Salary $36,846
    Median Salary $46,957
    Last Updated July 13, 2010

(From Texastribune.org)

Go make your own thread RyanTX

Forum Member

So I wasn't the only one who was rubbed the wrong way by bashing FWFD on the FWFD thread. Seemed inappropriate.

Forum Member

Houston has a confusing schedule but it is pretty good and they do have great retirement. But it's apples and oranges. Plus you'd have like a long ***** commute unless you actually want to live in Houston. I did know a guy living up here in DFW area driving down. That's why they have their unique schedule so guys can work trades to accommodate their long commutes. Now back to Fort Worth info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    So I wasn't the only one who was rubbed the wrong way by bashing FWFD on the FWFD thread. Seemed inappropriate.
    Nice. Sensing a little hostility. I was not "bashing" the FWFD or trying to hijack the thread. Fort Worth is a great city, born and raised there, and FWFD is a great department. Let me say that again. The Fort Worth Fire Department is a great Fire Department. But... A few words about money and ambulance work. If you are in this for the money, especially for a few thousand dollars, do us all a favor and move on to your next professional endeavor. Secondly, if the ambulance a shift or two a month discourage you, then have fun. Remember, wherever you go. 80% EMS. For those of you looking to work for the FWFD then study hard, get your things in order, practice your interview skills and PT. Don't give up and go after your dream. But, for those looking to work for a big city in the state of Texas. I will again say that the rumor is, that HFD will be testing for a couple of certified classes again this fall.

Forum Member

..nevermind (don't know why this posted twice)
    Last edited by laddermonkey76; 07-25-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Forum Member

...nevermind
    Last edited by laddermonkey76; 07-25-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RyanTX View Post
    . Secondly, if the ambulance a shift or two a month discourage you, then have fun. Remember, wherever you go. 80% EMS.
    80% of EMS when attending, transporting to the hospital, documentation, etc. is a lot different than 80% of EMS where all you do is get baseline vitals, help load the patient, then get back in the truck and go back to the station. I've done both. I know for a fact FW does the latter.

Who would want to get on a meat-wagon and make bellyache calls (and you know this is what EMS mostly is) when you can be on a pumper or quint every day, every shift? For a dept, like FW, that still makes a fair amount of fire you stand a decent chance of masking up and going in. Something you can't do when you're on the box.

I've talked to other FFs who've tried to convince me (and themselves) that making EMS
    runs on an ambulance isn't different than making them on an Engine. But after that 3am run when the Engine is crawling back into bed while the Medic is still at the hospital... yeah we know what the real answer to that is.

Forum Member

Has anyone received confirmation that they are cleared to take the exam?

Forum Member

Nope .

Forum Member

Anyone get anything on what the time the test will be or are they waiting until after the application period closes to send a mass email notification.

Thread Information