+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 First ... 3456789 ... Last
    Forum Member

No offense but if you tested with FW looking for a job you should probably know where there academy is. For a lot of guys testing this is a long time dream to work for a department like FW. I say like because here it's FWFD in Dallas its DFD New York FDNY, there are a lot of great departments and everyone thinks there's is the best. These are prestigious national departments besides the fact that you get to do the best job in the world. I don't anyone on here from Adam but if you just took the FW test on a lark and lucked into the position of possibly attaining a career that many can only hope for, get a little more serious. Take the time to learn about the fire service and the department you've applied for. This isn't flipping burgers or selling tv's at Best Buy. Don't get me wrong a lot of good guys come from that background and truth be told most people can be taught the skills of a firefighter. But honestly ask yourself if you want to be part of a storied service with a historic traditional department. Don't just try to get this job for a pay check you can make better and spending a lot less hours working doing other things. I say this because there are a lot of guys who have sacrificed a lot to never even get a job like this or even the opportunity at the job like this but they're still out there grinding so if you're not serious don't steal someone else's dream. I'm not posting to beat anyone up just letting people know a little of what they're looking to get into.

MembersZone Subscriber

Schmidthouse - Excellent post!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmidthouse7 View Post
    No offense but if you tested with FW looking for a job you should probably know where there academy is. For a lot of guys testing this is a long time dream to work for a department like FW. I say like because here it's FWFD in Dallas its DFD New York FDNY, there are a lot of great departments and everyone thinks there's is the best. These are prestigious national departments besides the fact that you get to do the best job in the world. I don't anyone on here from Adam but if you just took the FW test on a lark and lucked into the position of possibly attaining a career that many can only hope for, get a little more serious. Take the time to learn about the fire service and the department you've applied for. This isn't flipping burgers or selling tv's at Best Buy. Don't get me wrong a lot of good guys come from that background and truth be told most people can be taught the skills of a firefighter. But honestly ask yourself if you want to be part of a storied service with a historic traditional department. Don't just try to get this job for a pay check you can make better and spending a lot less hours working doing other things. I say this because there are a lot of guys who have sacrificed a lot to never even get a job like this or even the opportunity at the job like this but they're still out there grinding so if you're not serious don't steal someone else's dream. I'm not posting to beat anyone up just letting people know a little of what they're looking to get into.
    I went to a firefighter forum to ask questions about a fire department.

Forum Member

It is a bery bery good idea to know as much about a department as you can, if you are trying to get hired by them

Fw has a good web site

Also ;;;

http://www.iaff440.org/

And if you know any or get to know any fw firefighters

Forum Member

You went to a firefighter forum, under careers and training, under hiring and employment on an active post about a current hiring process to ask a question about a department. This led me to the assumption that you were in said process in which case the above would apply. If you want to know general info about a department a web search or reading their the department page or talking to a guy at station would be beneficial.

Forum Member

There are active fort worth firefighters looking at this thread though. I had pm'ed one with questions about the process. I just got antsy and posted a question here too. I live too far away for a station visit to be feasible. I have been scouring the Internet, and library in an attempt to learn all I can. Thanks. I just feel like that is an attack more than constructive help

Forum Member

X

Ok list your questions you have

Forum Member

ah thanks fire49, I think I'm figuring it out for the most part. I do have a few quick ones though..

Does FW allow ride-alongs? (I know quite a few departments shy away form that) Also do you just contact Fire Admin to schedule a station visit, or should a person just show up at a station to try and make an appointment?

I was browsing through the forums, and I just read your Arlington post Schmidt. I can understand why you're a little touchy when it seems like someone doesn't want this for the right reasons. I see you have tried to get on a large department for some time now, and that's very respectable. That being said. We all want this as bad as you do.
    Last edited by Xochimilcho; 09-30-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Forum Member

Most stations welcome visitors during daylight hours and if they are not tasked with doing something

Just walk up to someone and ask if you can come in and visit

Will check on rideouts for you

Forum Member

I didn't post directed at anyone personally and if the above doesn't apply to you then you shouldn't be defensive or take it personally. I posted it for anyone reading that falls into the category I described because there are a lot of those people. Whether you've been testing 1 year or 10 years doesn't matter to me its that your doing it with at least a realization of what you're after and why. Nuff said and your right its about FW so any questions or help is fine because just being on here is showing some motivation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xochimilcho View Post
    Does FW allow ride-alongs? (I know quite a few departments shy away form that) Also do you just contact Fire Admin to schedule a station visit, or should a person just show up at a station to try and make an appointment?
    You can do a ride out. You have to sign a Confidentiality Agreement and release of liability (naturally). Call Fire Admin (817-382-6804) and she'll be able to direct you to the right person. I don't know if you can request a station or if they just put you somewhere. As far as day visits go, late afternoon- early evening or late mornings are best. Lunch is around 11:30 and supper is around 6:00 so don't come then. Also, not first thing in the morning. If you do have a lot of questions about the hiring process the younger guys (swingmen) usually have more current info than older heads.

Forum Member

Question ?

There are 206 people in Stanine 1. It includes all the people that scored from 106% - 98% on the written test. Stanine 2 includes scores from 97% - 94%

Are the Stanine 1 guys only competing for the first academy class?
    (a first fire class or nothing at all type setup)

and the second academy class is only coming from the Stanine 2 group?
    "I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

I think to keep it fair to all test takers, and in line with Chapter 143, they will fill the first class from stanine 1. I doubt all 206 people will be exhausted to fill the first class. If there are 2 classes this go around, I could see them running through the rest of stanine 1 then going to stanine 2. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

After all those that get through the whole process out of stanine 1 the list will be re-ranked. Then they will fill classes with that new list, first to last. When everyone from the re-ranked list is used they will have to pull all of stanine 2 and the start the process again if more people are needed than the first list can provide.

Forum Member

Got orientation announcement email.

Forum Member

Got orientation announcement email.
    Yeah I got mine too. At least it's on a Saturday which means I dont have to miss work.

Forum Member

Unless you work c-shift.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    I think to keep it fair to all test takers, and in line with Chapter 143, they will fill the first class from stanine 1. I doubt all 206 people will be exhausted to fill the first class. If there are 2 classes this go around, I could see them running through the rest of stanine 1 then going to stanine 2. Just my opinion.

thanks Very cool
    "I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

ok I tested and scored in the top five. Now this was my first time testing and I have not been through this process before. I have read alot on the process and I still have questions. Who on here is on the department and wouldn't mind me asking questions..

Forum Member

What station do you work at right now schmidt?

Forum Member

You might be better off just asking the questions. There may be people not on the department who could have an answer for you.

Forum Member

I work for a department to the south of FW.

Forum Member

Schmidtinator,

Would I be correct in assuming that the process picks up speed quite a bit after this orientation?

Forum Member

I would say that after the orientation they'll give the dates for the run that being a couple weeks after orientation. Then when those are done the physical is scheduled a couple weeks later and so on for background, polys, and interview. Because of the amount of people they process it does go slowly on our end. Last year I interviewed 3 weeks after the first guy did and I was on the last day. My assumption based on the time of year and all it would seem logical for them to try to get everyone through the run, physical, and background packets turned in before the holidays (christmas, new year). That would then allow the investigators time to do there thing. Also though the holidays complicate their being able to contact people. I would definitely not expect much to happen around holiday time. Honestly though you can look at it as each step takes a month. Run - November. Physical - December. Background/poly - January. Interviews - February. March -offers/academy. All this is just conjecture and I've only been through the process 1 time.

Forum Member

I would say that after the orientation they'll give the dates for the run...

Good info thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 First ... 3456789 ... Last

Thread Information