+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 First ... 45678910 ... Last
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xochimilcho View Post
    Schmidtinator,

Would I be correct in assuming that the process picks up speed quite a bit after this orientation?
    I am a part of the class that is about to get out and we did our orientation about a week before December and physicals and everything else started on the 9th of January. I believe they will be giving y'all kind of a timeline during the orientation to go by and that will all be tentative but the hire date may be the only set thing that is what they did with our class.

The one thing I will tell you guys is be sure to be able to run about 5 miles before you start because you would be much better off being in front than behind the ball... And granted its a time a way on the first day y'all will start with EMT and they will give you your books and tell you to study... DO IT!!! We had a few people get dropped because they didn't study enough and make the grade, and as bad as it sounds the way you can look at it is you just wasted a whole lot of time and money.

I know I have said it multiple times about running and stuff, but I am hoping that if any of you are fortunate enough to get on that you will be more than prepared for what is in store.

If anyone has any questions, I am not saying that I am an expert on how to get in or what not, but I will try to help any way I can the way that it was done for me. Good Luck to all

Forum Member

Thanks for your time pyrofyter.

Forum Member

I've been lurking on the site since I took the exam. I scored in the high 200's and I'm in stanine two. Anyways, I was talking to a mid-cities chief today and he said that ftw might hire up to 3 groups based on what he has heard. I don't have any other info other than that but I thought I would pass it along.

Forum Member

Sometimes I wished they did processes like those places in Cali where its a long weekend and you do everything. Sure it would mean getting time off work but there wouldn't be the interminable waiting.

Forum Member

I know we're still just waiting but anyone here anything new?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmidthouse7 View Post
    I know we're still just waiting but anyone here anything new?
    Schmidt, do you realize every time you post something asking if there is anything new, I get excited because I think there is something new!

Wait...I guess I just did the same thing

Nothing new here. Getting excited to hear what they have to say at orientation and see how I do on the practice physical

Forum Member

It'll be nice to have a tentative timeline after orientation so we'll have and idea of when things will happen.

Forum Member

Not big news, but we got a reminder e-mail today for this weekend's orientations
    "I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

I am very excited about Saturday! I do feel weird though going to orientation is work out attire though so I can do the PAP righ aftewards, but thats what the email says to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    I am very excited about Saturday! I do feel weird though going to orientation is work out attire though so I can do the PAP righ aftewards, but thats what the email says to do.
    same here! I'm really excited to see how I fare in the practice physical. It will be nice to kind of know where we stand on this physically.
    "I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine." ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

Process is gonna be pretty quick this year.

Forum Member

How did everyone enjoy their orientation.

Forum Member

I believe I was in the first orientation of the day and already 2 people gone didn't even show up.

Forum Member

That was pretty cool. How did you guys do on the practice today?

Forum Member

How did everyone enjoy their orientation.
    I enjoyed it man. I'm pretty excited about the schedule

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats the schedule look like??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jay9876 View Post
    Whats the schedule look like??
    The physical was easy IMO. Everyone got through it with some time to spare. I forgot to see how many packets were left, and to see how many didn't show up!

Timeline: Run next weekend. PAT following weekend. Then Background, Poly, then interviews in January.

Hiring about 20 for class start date of 2/13.

Forum Member

Talking about 2 being gone from the first orientation... I am on of those 2. My car broke down on me and by the time i got it running it was 830. Just my luck.. good luck to everyone else.. i will just have to try again next time.

Forum Member

Sorry about the bad luck.

Forum Member

I'm glad about the short notice for the run it will probably mean less people will pass. Unfortunately, I have to knock done some mild tendonitis on the quick.

Forum Member

I'm glad about the short notice for the run it will probably mean less people will pass. Unfortunately, I have to knock done some mild tendonitis on the quick.
    Ahh that's intense man. What day are you running? I'm going Sunday.

Forum Member

I will be there Sat morning. Looking forward to it! Small groups though. i was surprised that they are only running about 8 at a time. i was hoping there would be about 50 guys out there running at once and get a better feel for how many can or can not finish in time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    I will be there Sat morning. Looking forward to it! Small groups though. i was surprised that they are only running about 8 at a time. i was hoping there would be about 50 guys out there running at once and get a better feel for how many can or can not finish in time.
    They have to run on a certified track which has 8 lanes and you will get a wrist band with a color and every time you pass a table you will call out your color to ensure everyone runs the 1.5 miles... Hopefully everyone has been doing some sort of running because there will be people who cant pass the run and the PAT, don't let it be you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also had a few not show up for the afternoon session on Sunday.

Forum Member

I like the small groups because more people seem to fail. I think with the small groups there's no good pace setters so guys don't know how fast to go it's hard to judge if you haven't done it for a while. Hopefully muscle memory kicks in for me I've been running but not on a track hopefully I can get to one this week to time myself. Good luck to everyone if you're a music runner they let you wear your ipod or whatever last year. I may try to set my pod with 12 minutes worth of songs just to have a good pace. My advice would be run your mile and a half there are always guys who go out and do it in 10 minutes. I'm 260lbs if I run 12 minutes that's a 8 minute mile pace and I feel that's decent, actually that's good for me, especially as I'm over 30 now and have never really been a runner. Remember you have 13:57 but do your best even if it is pass fail.
    Last edited by schmidthouse7; 10-30-2011 at 09:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 First ... 45678910 ... Last

Thread Information