Forum Member

Default Fort Worth testing

The City will be accepting fire trainee applications from July 15 through Aug. 5, 2011.

Applications must be filled out electronically at http://www.fortworthgov.jobs

Civil Service Exam
    Aug. 30, 2011; Fort Worth Convention Center, 1201 Houston St.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    The City will be accepting fire trainee applications from July 15 through Aug. 5, 2011.

Applications must be filled out electronically at http://www.fortworthgov.jobs

Civil Service Exam
    Aug. 30, 2011; Fort Worth Convention Center, 1201 Houston St.
    I heard there were tons of people at the test last year. Also, I wonder how strict they are about living within 30 minutes of the station?

Forum Member

Thanks for the update agave. I have a bro that says there looking to hire about 30 again and that this years process will be a little quicker than last year. Also there will be some fundamental changes to the testing procedures although still within civil service rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFarrier View Post
    I heard there were tons of people at the test last year. Also, I wonder how strict they are about living within 30 minutes of the station?
    They're not.

Forum Member

awesome. If the San antonio FD doesn't work out for some reason, I'll be testing here for sure. How long was the process last time, and if its quicker, how much quicker?

Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brockrocks View Post
    awesome. If the San antonio FD doesn't work out for some reason, I'll be testing here for sure. How long was the process last time, and if its quicker, how much quicker?

Thanks
    We had two classes and the first one started in November and the second started in March. I believe they are planning to test in August and start in January I believe. Good luck to all in the process it is more than worth it I was fortunate to make the second class and honestly I believe it is the best Fire Department in the country and I am sure Agave can vouch for me on that seeing as how he has been here much longer...

Forum Member

This is a common question but I'm asking it specifically to Fort Worth Fire Fighters. As part of the process should one go to fort worth fire stations? Like I said a common question I would just like Fort Worth guys opinions, thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmidthouse7 View Post
    This is a common question but I'm asking it specifically to Fort Worth Fire Fighters. As part of the process should one go to fort worth fire stations? Like I said a common question I would just like Fort Worth guys opinions, thanks.
    I personally didn't because I wasn't from the area, but there are a few guys in the class that did. My view, is it wouldn't hurt. You get to one meet the firefighters that you hopefully will be working with and two if you haven't already done so before be able to get a good view of a day at the station so you know whether it is for you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by schmidthouse7 View Post
    Yeah you can go by and visit and talk with them. Most will be pretty helpful.

Fundamental changes in the testing procedures? Such as?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
    Fundamental changes in the testing procedures? Such as?
    Banded written test scores (if the last person they call back made a 95 on the test, then they'll call back everyone who made a 95 on the test, regardless of where they fell on the list). Elimination of the lottery I think was one of them, too. Seperate scoring for the interview board.

Forum Member

It means even more hinges on the interview than in the past. At least the lotto box of numbers wont be anyone's downfall this year, that was a pretty ridiculous lotto system.

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah swing on by, so i can tell you to shut up. Just kidding it would be okay to stop by but not in the middle of the afternoon, and don't stay to long or tell us how you did it at your volunteer department.

Forum Member

i`m a fireman in philadelphia right now and may be moveing out there i was wondering what the shift is like (ours is 4on /4off with 2day works and 2night works) and also how busy it is out there

Forum Member

FW does 24/48.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyzac View Post
    i`m a fireman in philadelphia right now and may be moveing out there i was wondering what the shift is like (ours is 4on /4off with 2day works and 2night works) and also how busy it is out there
    Here is a link to the website with just about all the information you need bud...
    http://www.fortworthgov.org/fire/inf..._166_0_11368_4

Forum Member

Hi
    so
    like I'm like super new
    and saw a banner saying that Fort Worth will start recruiting tomorrow through August
    and so I joined here to learn about the job and the process
    I hope you don't mind, but I have a few questions about the process in FW, specifically that I didn't find on the site:

I understand that it's like really hard to join the dept, because of some insane number of applicants, so I'd like to request some pointers.

What are the attributes that they look for most in recruits? Is physical fitness more valued than scoring a 100 on the written test or vice versa? Is the interview more important? (I read that there used to be some lottery, but I guess not anymore?)

I'm a big, strong guy, but my cardio needs improvement, I'd imagine that I could pass the physical, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to avoid embarrassing myself by passing out due to bad cardio so I want to prepare myself before the testing. If I applied tomorrow (7/15) how much time would I have before they call me in for the physical?

Is there any affirmative action going on to hire women? or minorities? (I hope not, as I'd rather be recruited for being really awesome than the color of my skin or some other inane characteristic) and it would suck if I'm turned away because I don't have boobs or a vajayjay.

What do they look for in past experience? should I join a volunteer dept (if there even are any)?

Is it important that I apply as early as possible or would they just lump all the applications together and call them back at a predetermined time (maybe at the end of the application period?)

Thanks folks, hope to hear from you soon, for now, I'll continue scouring these forums to hopefully get a better idea of what I'd be getting into.

Forum Member

hmm...
    Actually...
    I just found this really useful .PDF

http://www.fortworthgov.org/uploaded....pdf?version=2

Hope it answers most of my questions
    ONLY ONE WAY TO FIND OUT

Forum Member

Apply as soon as it possible

Yes with current economic conditions, the size of the dfw metroplex, high school diploma there are a number of people, Good paying job but may be around 50 recruited

So if you live near apply

A little late to volunteer

Forum Member

Forum Member

Fort Worth is a civil service department so you can also look at TX code 143 about civil service. Also each step is important in its own right in that you need to pass to move on. The written isn't very hard but this year for the first academy (assuming there's more than one) they'll probably only move up around 100-150 guys and I believe based on last year that would mean a score of around 98. Last year I had 95 and was tied with guys between 230 and 260. So it is very important to do well on the written just to have a shot at the rest. Also know in advance that all military guys get 5 points so that is a huge disadvantage for non-military because the top score will be 105 out of 100. There will probably be 20-30 guys with scores over hundred.I will say generally speaking though Fort Worth's process is very fair. Also this year fort worth residents get 1 point bonus so maybe top score will be 106 not sure if you can get the residency on top of military.

Forum Member

Wow. Thanks for the score updates. I was curious how high you had to get to get a call to move on to the next step. If this doesn't go well and I dont get in a dept soon, the military for 4 years is sounding pretty good.

the SAFD fell through as I screwed up on my paperwork. I am really hoping I can ace this test too and move on in FW. I like FW a lot more than SA anyhow.

To those who took the test last time: What time was the test at?
    Last edited by Brockrocks; 07-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Forum Member

The above scores are just assumptions on my part. The test was in the evening last year if I remember correctly. Can't remember time specifically cause check in took a while.

Forum Member

Class start date maybe mid febuary

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gendo3 View Post
    Hi
    so
    like I'm like super new
    and saw a banner saying that Fort Worth will start recruiting tomorrow through August
    and so I joined here to learn about the job and the process
    I hope you don't mind, but I have a few questions about the process in FW, specifically that I didn't find on the site:

I understand that it's like really hard to join the dept, because of some insane number of applicants, so I'd like to request some pointers.

What are the attributes that they look for most in recruits? Is physical fitness more valued than scoring a 100 on the written test or vice versa? Is the interview more important? (I read that there used to be some lottery, but I guess not anymore?)

I'm a big, strong guy, but my cardio needs improvement, I'd imagine that I could pass the physical, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd like to avoid embarrassing myself by passing out due to bad cardio so I want to prepare myself before the testing. If I applied tomorrow (7/15) how much time would I have before they call me in for the physical?

Is there any affirmative action going on to hire women? or minorities? (I hope not, as I'd rather be recruited for being really awesome than the color of my skin or some other inane characteristic) and it would suck if I'm turned away because I don't have boobs or a vajayjay.

What do they look for in past experience? should I join a volunteer dept (if there even are any)?

Is it important that I apply as early as possible or would they just lump all the applications together and call them back at a predetermined time (maybe at the end of the application period?)

Thanks folks, hope to hear from you soon, for now, I'll continue scouring these forums to hopefully get a better idea of what I'd be getting into.
    here are your answers.

you take the test august 30th, they grade it, you find out your score 2 weeks later and they begin processing the top scoring candidates then, so scoring a 100 is good. If you score and 80 it doesn't matter how strong or good of an interviewer you are because you might as well focus on next years test.

it doesn't matter when you apply as long as you do it during the application period because the test is on august 30th.

Affirmative action is illegal.

no one cares what kind of experience you have or don't have. we want work ethic and teachability.

if you don't have cardio but are strong then get your rollie pollie fat *** running if you are worried about it.

Thread Information