Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Getting in shape to become a firefighter

Hello, I am a VB local and have recently re-discovered my desire to become a Firefighter. My weight is 240lbs and I would like to be around 175 before I apply to a fire department. I currently work at a desk job 9-5, a second job at night, and if I'm not working, I'm volunteering at the station. I'm hardly active, I get these bursts on energy ever once in a while and I want to excericse, but I can never stick with it. Does anyone have a specific plan or idea without buying DVDs or anything? I have the Zumba game for the Wii and also a gym membership. Can someone please help me achieve my goal to become a firefighter?
    VB Rescue Squad 14
    EMT-Basic

You need to have the mental drive to stick with it. All the DVDs, games, and gym memberships aren't going to do any good if you don't have the drive to work out. Just keep your mind set on on what needs to be done and work your *** off. Also try listening to certain music to help motivate you.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Don't think about how hard it is to work out, or how unpleasant it is. Just focus on getting to the gym regularly. Establish a schedule, make it a priority, and stick with it. Once you're at the gym, the workouts aren't so bad...and you'll always leave glad that you went.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful_FF View Post
    Don't think about how hard it is to work out, or how unpleasant it is. Just focus on getting to the gym regularly. Establish a schedule, make it a priority, and stick with it. Once you're at the gym, the workouts aren't so bad...and you'll always leave glad that you went.
    You're right! Getting to the gym is always the hardest part!

Forum Member

If you want this job bad enough, YOU will find a way.

If you don't, YOU will find an excuse.

Pretty simple.

Forum Member

Dr. Jen posts on this forun. Do a search and find some of her previous articles. She has great information that has helped many aspiring firefighters. Good luck on reaching your goal.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Default Weighted Vest

Go a buy a weighted vest, it may be about $100 or more but well worth it. I lost 23 lbs since Dec 2010. i live in Mn , we had a bad winter so i ran a treadmill with it on and stairs at home or in apts building hallways any where i could find. A backpack full of books or weights works to, put it on and keep it on all day you will feel it, just don't jog with down the street your knees will die. Check youtube for some good ff workout videos
    Best of luck

Forum Member

Hey buddy. I am also trying to become career FF! I am currently a volunteer as well. I am also a certified personal trainer. What I suggest, is that you start approaching working out as part of the career you wish to acheive. You have to explain to yourself (sounds odd yes, but after all, we are all our own worst enemy) that if you really want to do this, you NEED to be in shape. Start out working out 4 days or so a week, and during those workouts, when it gets tough, remind yourself why you are doing it. If you really want to do this, thinking like this should help to motivate you.

I suggest joining a gym if you are not already a member of one. I have found with my clients that those who are not that intrinsicly motivated already usually do much better at a gym. If you have the motivation to work out at home, thats great. But for those who may not be as motivated, there are far to many excuses and distractions, where as you go to the gym for one reason, to work out.

I like to start people in your situation with a basic program, working out 5 days a week. Cardio wise, start with walking or jogging at a pace that is challenging, but not so hard that you will not be able to stick with it for the 5 days. 30 mins of fast walking, or jogging is a good place to start, with gradual increases in both time (or distance) and intensity (running, rather than walking or jogging).
    As far as strength training goes, I have found that with beginners, it is best to break exercises up into 5 basic movement groups Pulling (bicep curls, pull ups or pull downs), pushing (chest, shoulder and triceps) , bend and lift movements (squatting, deadlifting), lunging movements, (lunging, walking lunges, step ups) and rotational movements (movements for the core). Work one of these groups on each of the 5 days, 3 or 4 exercises, 3 sets each, start with 12-15 reps. I suggest using body weight exercises in the begining as well, until you have form down properly, some, such as curls, can obviously not be done without weights.

Shoot me an email anytime you have and questions, I am always happy to help a Fellow FF out! jkeegantraining@yahoo.com

If you are looking for some cardio exercises, I recommend the couch potato to 5k cardio routine. You have to search from it online. But I have just started it and it is working. Best of luck to your endeavors!

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out P90X DVD. It requires an hour a day and you do it from your living room. I took my first Cpat a year ago and missed it by 4 seconds. I started P90X and took another Cpat and finished with a minute and a half remaining. You need to stick with it to see benefit though. it worked for me and I was a lazy and out of shape b@stard before I did it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Check out P90X DVD. It requires an hour a day and you do it from your living room. I took my first Cpat a year ago and missed it by 4 seconds. I started P90X and took another Cpat and finished with a minute and a half remaining. You need to stick with it to see benefit though. it worked for me and I was a lazy and out of shape b@stard before I did it.
    I have seen that advertised. I told a buddy who is out of shape about it but he said you cannot do it if your really out of shape, that it's too much on your body. How overweight were you when you started it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was about 230 and with p90X and a better diet I got down to 210 and added muscle to areas that were fat. Did it in about 4 months. They have regular p90X and another routine called p90X Lean which is less intense than regular p90x. It is in the same group of DVD's just a different routine/combo of workouts.

Forum Member

By far the thing that helped me drop the most weight was adjusting my food intake schedule! This was also by far the hardest change. I went from eating at whatever time I felt like all day long to breakfast around 8, lunch around noon-1330 and dinner no later than 1900. Then (and this is the most important part)....STOP EATING for the rest of the night. FAST! Then at 0800 or whenever you wake up....BREAK the fast...get it....breakfast! I limited my caloric intake to within 12 hrs a day...then fasted the other 12 hrs. It's really tough, especially if you don't have a regular routine for your day but after a week or so you get used to it. Of course, get out and jog/walk etc etc. Workout and whatnot. But I tell you it works. I went from almost dead on 250 this Jan 2011 to 208 by mid-April.

Oh, and just limiting WHEN you eat isn't enough...of course you'll have to tailor WHAT you intake. For me, it was not going back for 2nds after every meal and snacking on veggies like carrots and the like instead of grabbing a cookie.

It's all hard work....but you'll see results and when you do, it'll make you work that much harder. Its a good feeling....

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    I have seen that advertised. I told a buddy who is out of shape about it but he said you cannot do it if your really out of shape, that it's too much on your body. How overweight were you when you started it?
    P90X is the real deal if you stick with it and do the workouts. The nice thing about it is even if you are really, really out of shape starting it, you can tweak it however you want, and they even tell you that in the DVD's during the work out, to just do your best and hit pause if you need additional breaks. You can just try your best and repeat the first week as many times as you need to to be able to keep up with the workouts and then go forward in the program. Or as someone suggested, you can do the "Lean" version of the program. It's a great mixture of weight training, cardio, plyos, stretching, and anaerobic training, and makes for a great firefighter-type workout. I like it a lot and I'm seeing the results both in my appearance but as well as my performance.

ALS
    Forum Member

What helps me is always finishing my jog/run by going past the fire station in my neighborhood. When I see the station and the engines it always reminds me why I'm doing this and keeps me going.

Find whatever it takes to motivate you. Sometimes its hard to get going, but whenever you feel too tired to work out just remember that motivation.

Good luck!

Thread Information