Forum Member

Question Help me on some information on Digital Communications Please

Our department had an offer to install a repeater and base station to our department with them giving us the repeater to switch the department to digital / Analog. To receive and talk to 911 when we are toned we would still have to use the analog system. Also the radios that they want us to purchase is a Hytera Digital/ Analog radio. He stated that everything was compatible and wouldnt have any problems, but what i see is if we go the repeater route there is $1000 for a 10 year license and we dont know how the coverage would be. We are a very rural area, (a mountain splitting our coverage in the middle). Does anyone know if this system would be a good idea for our department?? He stated that we didnt have to have the repeater but there would be minimal digital coverage. Also, the digital would only be used for inner-department activities (Text Messages, etc.) Also we would be able to keep track if any of our members have an open mic. Could anyone give me some input??

Coverage??
    Radio Durability??
    Benefit or hurt us??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by thfdst14 View Post
    Our department had an offer to install a repeater and base station to our department with them giving us the repeater to switch the department to digital / Analog. To receive and talk to 911 when we are toned we would still have to use the analog system. Also the radios that they want us to purchase is a Hytera Digital/ Analog radio. He stated that everything was compatible and wouldnt have any problems, but what i see is if we go the repeater route there is $1000 for a 10 year license and we dont know how the coverage would be. We are a very rural area, (a mountain splitting our coverage in the middle). Does anyone know if this system would be a good idea for our department?? He stated that we didnt have to have the repeater but there would be minimal digital coverage. Also, the digital would only be used for inner-department activities (Text Messages, etc.) Also we would be able to keep track if any of our members have an open mic. Could anyone give me some input??

Coverage??
    Radio Durability??
    Benefit or hurt us??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would decide what you need first. Being told what you need doesn't seem like the correct approach.

There is so much involved in making a decision and what you provided doesn't even scratch the surface.

As for tracking members with an open mic, that can be done with most analog systems with the right radio hardware.

I'm betting that the repeater would be used for this person's businss as well as yours. New digital repeaters can host numerous groups and they wouldn't hear each other. If that is the case, simply providing the equipment to you for free isn't enough. Charge him rent.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Thanks for your input. The only thing is we are trying to think ahead and see if it will be feasable in the future. With the FCC Mandating the narrowband, who says they wont come say in a couple years to go digital. Speaking with some of the surrounding counties they love the system. As in our department we would love to have it so group communication would be easier and the privacy of the digital talk group would be nice. As in the repeater, no strings attached, he will install the Repeater and for 5 years its totally covered, after 5 years if something happens it will only be $125. The thing that strikes my interest is the fact that it will work with the analog so well.

MembersZone Subscriber

A properly placed repeater might help you with your geography issues.

The issue with narrowbanding and digital is that if and when they decree another round of narrowbanding, we'll be at the point where the only practical way to send information over the airways will be via digital encoding of the voice (and other) intelligence.

I find the mention of text-messaging interesting - there aren't many proprietary systems for that (ie, sole user, like a fire department). Usually that type of service is left to the cell phone providers.

You really should be talking to your county folks (or whoever handles your 9-1-1 dispatching). They may have plans that could impact how your system could be used.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    A properly placed repeater might help you with your geography issues.

The issue with narrowbanding and digital is that if and when they decree another round of narrowbanding, we'll be at the point where the only practical way to send information over the airways will be via digital encoding of the voice (and other) intelligence.

I find the mention of text-messaging interesting - there aren't many proprietary systems for that (ie, sole user, like a fire department). Usually that type of service is left to the cell phone providers.

You really should be talking to your county folks (or whoever handles your 9-1-1 dispatching). They may have plans that could impact how your system could be used.
    Thanks for your in put. I am meeting with our EMA director tomorrow on this topic. Not sure how it will turn out. But i am trying to look out for the future for our department. I have always been the type person not to worry about yesterday but handle today and plan for tomorrow.

Forum Member

I don't know WTF system this crook is trying to sell you but based on your description, this is a complete load of BS and he's looking for your money. And there is no such thing as a $1000 10yr license. Please do tell, WHO is this jackass and where did he come from??
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I don't know WTF system this crook is trying to sell you but based on your description, this is a complete load of BS and he's looking for your money. And there is no such thing as a $1000 10yr license. Please do tell, WHO is this jackass and where did he come from??
    As a FCC Lic, for a 10 year lic it is only $1000. I shall not tell the name of the guy that is offering this, i do not like to talk about anyone without proper accusations.

Forum Member

As a FCC Lic, for a 10 year lic it is only $1000. I shall not tell the name of the guy that is offering this, i do not like to talk about anyone without proper accusations.
    No its not. That's why I'm trying to tell you... You're being swindled.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    No its not. That's why I'm trying to tell you... You're being swindled.
    It's cool... he won the Nigerian Lottery, so all good!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I am throwing the BS flag on this one.

Some slicker is trying to rip your department off.

You guys need to have whoever is in charge of your communications and get them to find out all the information needed from a reliable company.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Talking

1. There is a filing fee for the FCC license and frequency co-ordinator, it is not 1000.00.
    Ours cost $150.00 .
    2. The radios he is trying to get you to buy are what is known in the trade as "black box" radios. Meaning they are produced in an unknown factory in china and sold to be re-labled under various names for re-sale.

THEY ARE NOT public safety grade radios.

3. There is most likely an ulterior motive behind someone offering you a digital repeater. They most likely want to co-locate on your tower site for free.
    Again, what is the duty rating of the equipment you are being offered.

Before you decide to make the switch to digital you need to have a qualified radio engineer do a propagation study to find out what your needs are and what type & location of equipment you will need to accomplish it.

Digital is not the all one solution to bad radio coverage. It either works fine , OR it doesn't work at all in the fringe areas that may be working for you know in analog.

Check with your states communications office and find out what the state plan requires for going forward, before investing in a pig in the poke consumer grade system.

Forum Member

Appreciate all of your replys, We decided not to go with the Digital System, although we are going with the Hyt Radios, they are great radios and some departments that have the radios say they are better than Motorola. Again thank you all for your input even though some of you prefer to make these forums a chopping block instead of useful information.

Back In Black

Appreciate all of your replys, We decided not to go with the Digital System, although we are going with the Hyt Radios, they are great radios and some departments that have the radios say they are better than Motorola. Again thank you all for your input even though some of you prefer to make these forums a chopping block instead of useful information.
    Make sure you get the radio that has the fake elmo on it.

Seriously.. these radios are garbage and not for public safety use.

Forum Member

Again thank you all for your input even though some of you prefer to make these forums a chopping block instead of useful information.
    Excuse me? You asked for information and everyone here gave you dead on accurate information. You not liking the answer to your question does not make us the bad guy.

Forum Member

Talking

You are free to choose any radio you like: BUT the HYT is NOT a public safety grade radio,
    They are "black box" radios produced and sold to many different resellers under their own name brand by putting a label on them. They are fine for a boy scout troop or a taxi company, maybe even a public works dept. BUT not for the Fire Or EMS field.

Another thing to think about is that in order for a HYT radio to be water proof you have to buy their clear plastic overcoat baggy, which if you check their product brochure is an offered option.
    They are truly a disposable product from our friends in China.
    Last edited by islandfire03; 06-14-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Thread Information