Forum Member

Post Question about a merge

I heard from a friend who "heard from a Battalion Chief" that VBFD is merging with VB Rescue Squad and putting them all full time. It's great, in theory, however I see the following obstacles that will hinder this "3 year plan".

- Funding: Unless they have a grant to cross train the
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.rescue14.com/index.htm
    "The Largest ALL-VOLUNTEER Rescue System in the nation".
    , raise the taxes, or just happen to have enough money in their budget to put these guys through the fire academy; then they would be able to train each member (who is already EMT-B and above) from 21 stations to become FF2 certified and also add them to their operating budget. Let's use a base of 100 people for simplicity, and also VBFD's base salary for recruits: $36,995.76 taken from their website.
    I'm not a mathematician, so these might be off by a little bit, so here we go:

$36,995.76 * 100
    $3,699,579.00 just to hire 100 members, not including training costs and etc, is not going to happen: especially after VBFD just hired 40 recruits.

- Participation: Not all of the volunteers will want to be integrated into the deprtment, some might take pay cuts and some might not want to be hired. So just by integrating the squad and the fire department, they might lose members.

- Taxpayers: Citizens LOVE the FIRE DEPARTMENT and RESCUE SQUAD, except when 1. something doesn't go their way, or 2. when stuff gets expensive. People aren't going to pay more taxes just so they can pay people who were already VOLUNTEERING for free, just reality.

- Applicants and Current Members: the department recently took 1 bajillion applications for the 40 positions they just hired for, some guys and girls were from the west coast (trying to better theirselves ) and some were local. But to hire volunteers who possibly didn't even apply for firefighting is ridiculous.

EDIT: I meant the all of the rescue squads in that area

NOTE: I am all for the integration, however I just think the politicians will start to notice an increase in funding and start laying off the department; our community cannot let a department go to shambles, it's already happened too many times!
    Last edited by 6Duron1; 06-09-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Unit 71 - Probationary Firefighter / First Responder
    Bossier Parish Fire District #1

Let's talk fire trucks!

With all due respect, I see a number of issues with your post.

1. Why would VBFD merge with the VBVRS specifically, and not any of the other nine volunteer rescue squads in the City?

2. If there was going to be a merger, it would make more sense that it would be between VBFD and VBEMS, who already employs career EMS staff in the City.

3. What incentive (and authority) does the City have to kick all of the volunteer rescue squad members out of Company 14?

4. Even IF there was going to be a merger, it could be simply administrative. Chesterfield County's volunteer rescue squads fall under Fire & EMS administration, but the VRS members aren't required to have any fire service training if they don't want it.

5. Why would the (former?) volunteer rescue squad members be required to take Firefighter I & II?

6. The City simply couldn't afford it.

7. Could it be that the City simply wants to ensure that Company 14 is staffed 24/7, whether by career or volunteer members?

I think there's a lot of rumor and conjecture in your post. I hope that JohnVBFD will reply to this, since he works for the department, and is stationed next to the VBVRS.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

I was just posting what I heard (which is obviously a rumor) from a friend who was told by a Bat. Chief. I just wanted to see what anyone else knew. My cousin is at Squad 14 and he hasn't heard anything, so maybe this is just a nasty rumor going around.

Forum Member

Wouldn't they need FF1-2 to be considered career firefighters?

Forum Member

Ok friend of mine said it was BC XXXX XXXXX.
    Last edited by 6Duron1; 06-09-2011 at 10:32 PM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by 6Duron1 View Post
    Wouldn't they need FF1-2 to be considered career firefighters?
    I think you missed my point. They're not career firefighters in Chesterfield, they're volunteer rescue squad members, that happen to belong one of the many organizations that fall under the Chesterfield Fire & EMS umbrella.

Check your PM's as well...
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 06-09-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information