Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sireno Model 40010 "The answer to the Q Siren"

Forum Member

Whatever happened to tradition in the FD? Our fire department is full of traditions, including the mechanical siren on every truck.
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcwops View Post
    Whatever happened to tradition in the FD? Our fire department is full of traditions, including the mechanical siren on every truck.

Ugh, I'm all for tradition, but advocating a certain siren based on tradition seems silly. At least have a practical reason, not just "well we always have". It seems the idea of "tradition" has really been skewed in the fire service.

Forum Member

I have apparatus with both electronic and Q's on them. I can tell you if your manufacturer installs the Q Sirens they will make sure that the apparatus can properly operate the Q siren and all other warning/chassis equipment needed. Also from using apparatus with Q's and just electronic sirens drivers clearly hear and move more frequently when we utilize the Q than the electronic siren.

Federal Q's and Airhorns are in my opinion the best and only warning devices fire trucks need. Well ok and some warning lights.

Forum Member

I'm not on here as much as I should be but I will tell you this, I don't see people putting their hands over thier ears when an E Q2B comes around the corner. Mechanical, it makes a difference.
    Last edited by live_wire09; 12-04-2011 at 08:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Siren - Whinning

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    One other detail.IF that is a tilt cab rig make sure you leave enough space to tilt it.Otherwise you WILL be an unhappy camper. T.c.
    That old E-One is not a tilt cab
    It also looks a little out of warranty too.
    Other hearing loss sources for all you street lawyers out there are 2 stroke diesel engine pumping at high rpms. Ahhhhhh, the good old days when you could smell work from the Mack's open jumpseat area when you pull on the block

Forum Member

Pardon me while I dig this old thread up, dust it off and give it some fresh life. After a few years (I've been busy okay...) I've finally found the time to dust the old Sireno off and give another crack on getting it running correctly and mounted onto out Ladder. Its sat comfortably at the foot of my locker at the station for three years now (While I was off doing the whole Marine Corps thing) and its ready to get hooked up and tested! I'll have pictures and video's ready for your viewing pleasure this week.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

........still waiting for DeputyMarshal to deliver those documents............
    fotowun likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

LOL! Hey maybe we'll get lucky and by now he's managed to find something to back his claims!
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

There is another reason that Qs and their brethren in earsplitting awesomeness are superior to electronics...

...The other day my 8 year old grand niece was with me as we were waiting at a stop light at a major intersection...a Chesterfield (Va) engine company and truck company came through...against the light..with the Q-2s wound out of the frame, and Griover Stuttertones braying that stacatto blast that's often heard at intersections.

My grand niece...wide eyed and grinning from ear to ear...commented sagely as only 8 year olds can do...and I quote...

WOW!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

The medic from the same statiion was right behind 'em, with only an electronic siren.

Didn't even get an honorable mention from her.

So not only are mechanical sirens far more effective...they are also far, far cooler. (But then again we already knew that

Waiting deputy...

Forum Member

The great green weenie strikes again...here I say I'm gonna do more work on that Siren. And the Marines kidnap me...go figure right? Anyhoot, I'll be getting to that siren soon. Now that my military obligations are met for the month, I should have plenty of time to play with it.

Thread Information