Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Out of grade Officer Requirements?

I am looking for information pertaining to requirements your organizations have for out of grade company officers. Our current policy is vague, to say the least, and does not give a goal or path. I am hoping to give the guys something attainable and practical. Is there a "probationary period"? Any suggestions? Thank you all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMoore3904 View Post
    I am looking for information pertaining to requirements your organizations have for out of grade company officers. Our current policy is vague, to say the least, and does not give a goal or path. I am hoping to give the guys something attainable and practical. Is there a "probationary period"? Any suggestions? Thank you all.
    Our department utilizes "acting" officers to fill daily vacancies. In order to be an actor, you have to be on the promotional list for the position you are acting for (ranking does not matter). In order to test and make the list, as an example, for Lieutenant, a member has to have 5 years on the department and be certified ISO. Captain and Battalion chief have requirements for time in rank below and other certs as well.

We only allow actors in the ranks of Lt and B/C.

Hope this helps

Forum Member

Our department also utilizes them daily. Our requirements are less strict, rather than being on a promotional list, the firefighter/engineer/medic must simply have passed our department's officer development class. Its an in house course that lasts about 3 months total and covers the basics of being an officer. Hope that helps.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Thread Information