Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Cool Toledo... So how did everyone do?

Hi! How did everyone do this morning? Pretty good here, now the dreaded 4-6 week wait!

Forum Member

Talking

Did you mean the Toledo spelling bee

Forum Member

Glad to hear it went good for you Squirrel.

I'm not sure how I did without having an idea of what kind of score I'm gonna need. Freakin spelled receiver (reciever) and preparation (preperation) wrong. I missed 3 known questions on the "study guide" section and was so so on the "note taking" part.

18 people per row with 25 (give or take) of the 30 rows full in room "c" (or A depending on how you look at it). So about 450 in room C . Assuming the other 2 rooms were filled equally, about 1350 total. Probably a little low. Say 1500.

Do you remember what percentage you scored the first time you took it, and where that percentage landed you on the list?

Forum Member

Let you know in 4-6 weeks....

Forum Member

@ EBHFD68 - Yeah seriously lol!
    Trekker- Don't feel bad... I think I missed 6 on the study guide. I did pretty well on the other 2 parts though. Those have always been my strong points. I also struggled with "receiver" but stuck to the "i before e except after c" rule.
    Room C was the one on the far left, right? That's the one I was in. 3rd row on the right side.
    I don't remember my % but it was maybe mid to upper 80's (in 2001 way before I had any fire/ems). My ranking was 210 out of 1500 and I actually did get called in for an interview in 2006. But my husband just retired from the Army and commited to Tucson Fire so I didn't interview.
    Lol, it was a rough morning! I'm still in a totally different time zone. Woke up at 4 am and it was 1 am for me... Ugg!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brownsquirrel View Post
    @ EBHFD68 - Yeah seriously lol!
    Trekker- Don't feel bad... I think I missed 6 on the study guide. I did pretty well on the other 2 parts though. Those have always been my strong points. I also struggled with "receiver" but stuck to the "i before e except after c" rule.
    Room C was the one on the far left, right? That's the one I was in. 3rd row on the right side. I don't remember my % but it was maybe mid to upper 80's (in 2001 way before I had any fire/ems). My ranking was 210 out of 1500 and I actually did get called in for an interview in 2006. But my husband just retired from the Army and commited to Tucson Fire so I didn't interview.
    Lol, it was a rough morning! I'm still in a totally different time zone. Woke up at 4 am and it was 1 am for me... Ugg!

I think I erased it 3 times going back and forth before settling on the wrong answer. Same thing with "preperation". LOL.

I was in the 6th or 7th row on the right side.

Forum Member

Lol! Cool! So you probabbly saw me. I was soooo embaressed! I thought I'd be smart and not have a coffee in the morning so I figured one of those 5 hour energys would help. It did... but had so much cafeine in it and I was dying during the note taking part. Ugg! Got so bad I had to head out to the bathroom after signing a waiver saying that I was missing a part of that test. Luckilly I still could hear somewhat in the bathroom and didn't miss much. I wanted to die I was so embaressed.

Forum Member

Are you serious? Why the heck would you leave during the audio portion? I think I would have figured out a way to hold off....you have to want this job!

Forum Member

[QUOTE=419tfrd;1276437]Are you serious? Why the heck would you leave during the audio portion? I think I would have figured out a way to hold off....you have to want this job![/QUOTE]

She flew from Arizona to take the test. Hard to argue with her "want" of this job.

Forum Member

1155 took the test

Did we have to fill in the circles that aligned with our name, or just sign it at the top. I've got this sick feeling that I was supposed to fill in those circles and didn't?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trekker View Post
    1155 took the test

Did we have to fill in the circles that aligned with our name, or just sign it at the top. I've got this sick feeling that I was supposed to fill in those circles and didn't?
    I didn't fill them in...we were never told too..plus are names are on top of each page and kept in the envelope with our canidate ID...I wouldn't worry about it

If I missed more than 5 or 6 through the whole thing I will be kicking myself.

Thought that it went very well.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 419tfrd View Post
    Are you serious? Why the heck would you leave during the audio portion? I think I would have figured out a way to hold off....you have to want this job!
    I did hold it off, but at that point I just couldn't concentrate and I already have fire expereince (Fire 1 and 2) so I figured if I missed something I could make an educated guess (I was right- I missed part of the colors of smoke but knew what colors backdrafts gave off) Only missed maybe a minute and I could hear it from the bathroom. Except for that one question, I had everying else in my notes.
    And if I didn't want the job, do you really think I would spend $300+ on an airline ticket and spend 2 days traveling to and from? I spent over an hour each day studying.
    Unless you are in that situation, you shouldn't judge someone.

Forum Member

I found the audio portion to be the toughest part of the test. I was scribbling notes as fast as possible, and when it came time to use them I had problems figuring out what they meant. I skipped alot of them and went back at the end to try and decipher my notes. It took some time, but I was able to answer most of the audio portion questions. It just took a while to figure out what the heck my notes meant.

For instance, what color smoke does burning paper emit? After much searching I found the following in my notes "pap LY". With light yellow being one of the possible answers, I went with light yellow as my answer.

There were quite a few that I was able to piece together like that. Were they right.......who knows?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Toledo Test

I thought the test was fair, the more I got in to the test the easier I thought it was. Spelling was a breeze, and the audio portion I filled one sheet front and back of notes, but it was hard to keep up with the speaker. I only had to refer back to my notes a couple time tho. But, for the rest of the test I couldnt remember anything that I studied. Im more worried about the first 100 questions on how well I had done. I guess we'll see in 4 to 6 weeks.

Forum Member

I'm sure you did fine
    She was going rather fast lol! I'm used to note-taking (jouirnalism background and 5 years of college) so i just tried to write down all the key points and ended up filling out both sides of both papers.
    I thought the color of smoke from paper was something like grey, and that yellow was the color for backdraft? IDK.

Forum Member

thought the color of smoke from paper was something like grey, and that yellow was the color for backdraft?

This would tend to indicate that my notes were way off, or atleast my ability to understand them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bobJ View Post
    thought the color of smoke from paper was something like grey, and that yellow was the color for backdraft?

This would tend to indicate that my notes were way off, or atleast my ability to understand them.
    I actually was thinking it was a light grey but im not sure either, lol.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by brownsquirrel View Post
    I'm sure you did fine
    She was going rather fast lol! I'm used to note-taking (jouirnalism background and 5 years of college) so i just tried to write down all the key points and ended up filling out both sides of both papers.
    I thought the color of smoke from paper was something like grey, and that yellow was the color for backdraft? IDK.
    I hope i did, the girl sitting next to me filled out both pages front and back and she was done quickly with the test, i dont know how she wrote so much so fast.

Forum Member

Unless they gave us wrong info on purpose to make sure we were listening, paper should not have a yellow cloud as it's just paper.
    t stoudi, what room were u in? I wonder if u sat next to me? I had a light blue top on.

Thread Information