Thread: Alf

Forum Member

Jesus. Is the sky falling? I don't think ALF is the only fire company that has changed hands since 1975. If my poster is correct, ALF has changed hands over 30 times since 1831.

Their parent company owns MD helicopters, so if you want the fire truck to fly, I guess anything is possible.

Visit a tradeshow. According to their website they will be at FRI. Kick the tires. My best advice is to visit the plant. Can't hide anything there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default retiredchiefone

Quote Originally Posted by arcticcat 400i View Post
    Thanks for the info. just want to get the best we can for the money spent. Quality, service, workmanship, and reliability a must.
    You may want to look at Rosenbauer General Division. There body carries a life time warranty for as long as you own the truck. I don't know of any other manufacturer that offers this type of warranty. They have some very uneek inavations that are extreamly interesting

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    You may want to look at Rosenbauer General Division. There body carries a life time warranty for as long as you own the truck. I don't know of any other manufacturer that offers this type of warranty. They have some very uneek inavations that are extreamly interesting
    CustomFire has 20 and 25 year body warranties. I believe there are others now as well.

Forum Member

Whatever the case, run far, far away from ALF.
    Remember, make sure you look at the:
    1.) Build quality of the truck
    2.) Cab structure
    3.) Body structure
    4.) Warranty
    5.) Service - Does the factory have a mobile service group that can come to you? Can you take the truck to the factory and have it worked on there? Service contract?
    6.) Tour the factory(s) and see how professional the people are, and how they work.

Forum Member

Given all of the financial problems that ALF has had over the past few years (which includes lack of warranty/parts/service support) this alone would cause me to drop them as a candidate.

Given all of the problems I have seen with their fit and finish and overall quality of work, I would drop them as a candidate.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Rosenbauers Minnesota Division offers extruded bodies with a 20 year transferrable warranty. That's a lot of warranty. No one with a formed body will offer that (that I know of)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim54 View Post
    Rosenbauers Minnesota Division offers extruded bodies with a 20 year transferrable warranty. That's a lot of warranty. No one with a formed body will offer that (that I know of)
    If the warranty is a sticking point, lots of builders will extend their warranty to meet bid requirements. I've seen it done by a few builders to be compliant to a bid proposal.

I'd also look at paint and corrosion warranties, how long they are, and if they're prorated or not.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Thread Information