Forum Member

Default Academy over education?

I wanted to finish my associates degree in RESP=therapy,But i am half way done completing my AA in Management,Also once I was done with that then go and try to do Resp-therapy.But that takes time and is a process.But here is the problem I am an EMT and I also wanted to do my Fire academy..I wanted advice should I complete fire academy first then just finish my schooling or.......should i complete my Management degree and pre req classes for resp-therapy course then,do the fire academy then try to get into a resp-therapy program somewhere?..I need a little friendly advice thanks...

Note:I am paying school as i go and can get aid but mainly paying as i go, and I want resp therapy job as main career/fire on the side. or vise versa depending on pay andso on...id like to do both as career wise.

Forum Member

What state are you in??

What is required to just apply fir departments in your area / state???

Forum Member

fl but iam looking to move to either texas/wa or another state,

dept req all 3 here ff/emt/medic

Forum Member

They, either one, might not take Florida's certifications!!! You better check before you take the leap!

Find out what states will take them.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Simple question ....

Are you looking to work primarily as a Resp Therapist or a Firefighter?

If you are looking to work as a Resp Therapist, finish your education, then locate where there is a VFD and volunteer, and let them train you to thier standards and/or state standards for free.

If you are looking to complete your Resp Therapist schooling and then go to work as a firefighter at a much lower wage, you are nuts and you should consult a mental health professional as soon as possible.

Seriously, with standards and requirements differing from state to state, wait until you settle down and then volunteer with a department that will train you well, at thier cost.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

My suggestion is get your paramedic because if you move to tx some depts will hire you as paramedic and put you through thief or an academy
    Or you could get the tx ff cert on your on if you decide to move to tx

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/employment.asp

http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/standards/transferring.asp

Forum Member

Since you stated that you want your primary job to be a Resp. therapist, then i would suggest going to school, and getting everything done so that you can start your job sooner, maybe apply to be a tech at a hospital so you are used to the hospital environment. If you are going to have Firefighting be your main job, then go to the academy, then medic school, few departments require you to have your degree to apply for a job, its more for promotions, etc... Then you can be making great money and finish your degree out.

Forum Member

THanks for the advice well issue is like iam paying school as i go and i am currently unemployed co.i worked for laid me off...i was considering moving to Texas do to high volume of EMT jobs etc...but...the issue is like..i would like continue my education in the medical field but it is time consuming and i am paying as i go so its a slow process...i just needed advice would it be best just do my fire etc../then try to get a fulltime job somewhere and then go back to finish my degree..thats the issue iam having trying to decide but i like both sides career wise,id like to be fire fighter either fulltime and or part time but i just figured maybe its best try to do my fire then start school and pay school later on with a job/cert under my belt...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by greekmedic View Post
    THanks for the advice well issue is like iam paying school as i go and i am currently unemployed co.i worked for laid me off...i was considering moving to Texas do to high volume of EMT jobs etc...but...the issue is like..i would like continue my education in the medical field but it is time consuming and i am paying as i go so its a slow process...i just needed advice would it be best just do my fire etc../then try to get a fulltime job somewhere and then go back to finish my degree..thats the issue iam having trying to decide but i like both sides career wise,id like to be fire fighter either fulltime and or part time but i just figured maybe its best try to do my fire then start school and pay school later on with a job/cert under my belt...
    Tough market right now for fire department positions everywhere, especially without experience. It could be a couple of years, at least, before you land a fire department job after thew academy, so if you need cash now (as j.d wentworth would say) the fire side may not be the best avenue.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

If your looking for a quick job, try to get hired on a private ambu company, atleast i know around here they are always hiring people. then see where it takes you, once you get expirence on the ambulance you might want to be a fulltime firefighter paramedic while your part time job is a resp therapist. that way you would have money to go back to school. or apply as a tech at a hospital, they make great money, either way, do whatever makes you happy.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice,appreciate it yea times are tuff so.. trying to go debt free route i guess overall is the main goal,but thanks for heads up on the information

Forum Member

+1 get the education first. Your college degree will never "expire" and always allows you to put food on the table. It will be a great backup plan if you get hired as a FF and for some reason can no longer do the work, IE injury.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

If your primary choice of career is respiratory therapy, I would suggest completing your education in the field first and then start training to be a fire fighter. To address your other concern, respiratory therapists easily make more money per annum as compared to fire fighters.

Stevens-Henager College is an excellent respiratory therapy school for Associate programs in the field. You can visit their website for more details.

Thread Information