Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Union against Union?

How many union guys, are against the IAFF? I'm curious to know because in our union meeting today, we had a huge argument over the union, basically, Communist vs. America! I am for neither, I really could care less if I was union or not. The basic ideology to me is pretty useless in arguing about. It's an Organization, just as corrupt as any other political campaign.

I'm asking because, well, some of the guys feel like they are not alone. I was just curious how many union guys, are against the spreading of the sticker? To me the IAFF sticker is on everything nowadays. I mean for Christ sake, covering your truck in IAFF stickers does not make you a BAD ***.

It made me a badass, because I have a custom IAFF sticker.

My first and last post in this thread. This is why my thread count has dropped to about 1 a month or less.

Who cares what you think about the union. How about posting something in the tactics forum so someone can either learn something or teach you something. This site is as bad as old woman arguing over Soap's.

F'ing pitiful.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

About soap's what?
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    It made me a badass, because I have a custom IAFF sticker.

My first and last post in this thread. This is why my thread count has dropped to about 1 a month or less.

Who cares what you think about the union. How about posting something in the tactics forum so someone can either learn something or teach you something. This site is as bad as old woman arguing over Soap's.

F'ing pitiful.
    Well, I guess you're right, I'm going to bed night. ****ER

My Union has protected me. I will not go into details, however I am grateful for the chance to be Union represented, and I will NOT go back to no Union.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Why dont you quit the union? Simple enough.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Go work in the Deep South, like SC for example, and see what type of working conditions, cronyism, and such you have to deal with when there's no Union presence. The employer can make you do whatever they want, give uneven discipline, change your working conditions on a whim, cut pay if they want, fire you for no reason, etc. etc. You'll be jumping at your own shadow before long. If you don't become a "company man" or get in with the click, they'll look to make your situation untenable so that you'll resign.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    About soap's what?
    soap or detergent?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by skylarmorris89 View Post
    How many union guys, are against the IAFF? I'm curious to know because in our union meeting today, we had a huge argument over the union, basically, Communist vs. America! I am for neither, I really could care less if I was union or not. The basic ideology to me is pretty useless in arguing about. It's an Organization, just as corrupt as any other political campaign.

I'm asking because, well, some of the guys feel like they are not alone. I was just curious how many union guys, are against the spreading of the sticker? To me the IAFF sticker is on everything nowadays. I mean for Christ sake, covering your truck in IAFF stickers does not make you a BAD ***.
    If you can't see the value of the Union then perhaps you should resign from your local and go it alone.

I can tell you I am fully aware of the value of MY local. We have bargained hard for the things we have and we have at other times formed a cooperative front with management to prevent layoffs and to improve safety and working conditions.

I would prefer to cover my truck with IAFF stickers and not be thought a bad *** than post inflammatory nonsense like you did and be thought a dumb ***.

Perhaps you should do some research into the history of Unions and the battles they fought to get many of the things people in the work force take for granted. You know like days off, overtime pay, health insurance, vacations, workplace safety standards, for many the 8 hour day and 40 hour work week, (yeah I know that doesn't apply to FFs) and so much more. I just shake my heads at guys like you that throw the communist card when it comes to Union activity.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    Go work in the Deep South, like SC for example, and see what type of working conditions, cronyism, and such you have to deal with when there's no Union presence. The employer can make you do whatever they want, give uneven discipline, change your working conditions on a whim, cut pay if they want, fire you for no reason, etc. etc. You'll be jumping at your own shadow before long. If you don't become a "company man" or get in with the click, they'll look to make your situation untenable so that you'll resign.
    Thanks but no thanks

Not everywhere in the deep south has bad working conditions. Oh there are plenty that do true enough, But don't wrap us all in the same blanket please.
    Bring enough hose.

He never called the union or union supporters communist.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

The Unions, like virtually everything has good points and bad points. But the good points far outweigh the bad. My biggest complaint about Unions is that they protect lazy people and screwups. People who SHOULD be fired.

That aside, witout Unions, your city or town could do anything they please to you or your job whenever they want and their would be NOTHING you could do about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    The Unions, like virtually everything has good points and bad points. But the good points far outweigh the bad. My biggest complaint about Unions is that they protect lazy people and screwups. People who SHOULD be fired.

That aside, witout Unions, your city or town could do anything they please to you or your job whenever they want and their would be NOTHING you could do about it.
    Actually the civil service laws and the absolutely ridiculous protections and processes they provide police and fire make unions unnecessary.

The laws here also guarantee some pretty generous wage and vacation schedules as well.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Actually the civil service laws and the absolutely ridiculous protections and processes they provide police and fire make unions unnecessary.
    That is a very ignorant and naive view.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I would agree. Civil Service laws will not offer anywhere near the protection a Union will.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Really?

Of the last 12 Bossier City and Shreveport firefighters and cops fired or suspended, they all found loopholes in the law and were returned to full duty by the civil service board.

It's very typical to have most employees returned to work rather than be fired statewide.

The civil service laws here have a lot of requirements, and it's very easy for the fire or police department to make errors in the process, as the above results indicate.

Civil service protection in LA is very strong. Even some of the cops and firefighters will say it's too strong.

For all you "experts" out there who think a union is put in place to protect screw ups...You are just plain wrong. The union makes sure everyone gets a fair shake when it comes to discipline. The leadership decides if someone is being unfairly treated and then we act. We have a duty to fair representation. If someone isnt even in the union but is covered under collective bargaining, we have to represent them as well. I laugh at all the misinformation that is posted as gospel.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Please quit generalizing for this state. I can't stress enough how different everything is for you and I.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Please quit generalizing for this state. I can't stress enough how different everything is for you and I.
    Things are very different in the northern part of the state v. the south.

I see it through my involvement through the State Firefighters Association, then state Arson & Fire prevention Association as well as through the 2-3 classes I take in the southern part of the state every year.

Some of thwe differences are good, some are bad and some are just plain differences that work well there but may not work well here, and visa versa.

I also see tremendous differences in many areas when compared to the way we did things up north.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information