Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fairfax County Housing for New Hires?

Just a question:
    I have been reading older threads about the FXCO hiring process and I have seen some info in regards to housing for new recruits.
    I haven't contacted HR yet, decided to ask here first to hear from those who may have used it or know of it personally.

From what I gather, FXCO offers a 2 year contract on housing close to the academy. Is this still around? I would be moving up with my wife and daughter (who is 1) and am wondering if its a roommate kind of thing or is it a small apartment per person?

Thanks for your help

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Just a question:
    I have been reading older threads about the FXCO hiring process and I have seen some info in regards to housing for new recruits.
    I haven't contacted HR yet, decided to ask here first to hear from those who may have used it or know of it personally.

From what I gather, FXCO offers a 2 year contract on housing close to the academy. Is this still around? I would be moving up with my wife and daughter (who is 1) and am wondering if its a roommate kind of thing or is it a small apartment per person?

Thanks for your help
    Edit: Your daughter's only one y/o, so schools arent's an issue. When you get out of the academy, and finish your ALS internship, your base w/ incentives is around 71k, so you'll have options after the year's lease is up.

The program is called Magnet Housing. Recruitment will give you the details. For me, though, the joke was that with my starting salary as a FFM, which used to be an 18/3, we would have been disqualified from living there after one year once the cert pay, hourly ALS riding pay, night diff, etc. kicked in. I would look into what the upper limit is regarding your pay scale to qualify.

We lived in Manassas for a year, at this place:

http://www.ravenscrestapartments.com...ome/Index.aspx

I think the prices are bogus. Besides getting a month free on a one year deal, we also saw Craigslist ads for the same community for less than we paid. The community itself was clean, no police activity to my knowledge, and the property managers were quick to address any repair needs. The elementary school was not to our liking, so that was a major factor on us relocating after a year. The academy was less than 30 mins from there. If you leave at 0500-0515, you avoid the morning traffic, and get to the academy at 0530-0545. You're only going two exits on 66, rt 28 then 7100 where you get off. Getting home is a different story, though. If you leave between 1630 - 1830, you're looking at an hour or more to get home unless you get lucky. I used to take 29 to 66 just in case of accidents.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Member

Deluge059 are you hired for the next class?

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Just a question:

Thanks for your help
    Saw your same post on another forum with a different name!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis1 View Post
    Deluge059 are you hired for the next class?
    No, not hired, but finished with everything and passed everything. I called HR and they said a class in the fall, so I guess we're waiting till around then.

Capt: I did. Both forums have a lot of knowledgeable and helpful guys, so I wanted to see if I can get as much info as possible.

epedemic: Thanks again! You're a great help. Hopefully if i'm up there in the fall, i'll buy you a beer for all the great info you give me and the other guys in the process.

Just an FYI, rental demand is up and rising in the DC Metro area. Be ready for a little sticker shock, even if you looked around here before the prices are going higher.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Just an FYI, rental demand is up and rising in the DC Metro area. Be ready for a little sticker shock, even if you looked around here before the prices are going higher.
    I understand, thanks. I live in South Florida, foreclosure capitol of the world and rent down here too is up, being that no one can get loans to buy houses and banks are taking forever to sell these houses.

My sister in law lives in Arlington, not sure exactly where but their 1/1 Apartment right on the Metro is $2000/mo.

Like I said earlier, we'll probably rent until our daughter is old enough to go to school, then begin looking for school districts and stuff. My wife is a teacher, so that is a consideration also.

Forum Member

Living the dream?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFMedicMiami View Post
    Living the dream?
    Thanks for asking.

Yes, I am living the dream (as I type this in my bed at the firehouse).
    I work for a great department in south florida, get paid well and have a great time.
    However, South Florida is no place to raise a child and being that my wife has many better opportunities, we have decided to relocate to Virginia.

This adds to my dream, being that I only tested and applied with one department (the one I wanted to apply to) and will hopefully be working for Fairfax County, a department that I would love to work for and many people whom I work with have a high respect for.

Im kind of surprised, being that you've looked outside the state, you seem to be making Fairfax County seem like a bad department to be with, sarcastically asking a question like that. Im pretty sure a lot of the FXCO guys on here will educate you on the department, if thats what you want.

Oh, great thread BTW:
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112666 (Are you sick of waiting??)

Really shows class. I hope you've changed that attitude, maybe you would have a job by now.
    Last edited by Deluge059; 06-17-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by FFMedicMiami; 06-19-2011 at 07:48 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFMedicMiami View Post
    De******,
    So lets get this straight..you could throw at me the " Still living the dream" jab on my bad day but when I do it to.. your mad?
    Now im insulting FairFax? I hope all the Fairfax guys are reading this.. this is exactly the type of guy you DO NOT want in your fire house..Somebody that holds his nose high to people.. Kicking me while im down huh. This scumbag is the ex military guy who got lucky... Gloating huh.
    "I applied to the department that i wanted too and got the job with the first try.." REAL HUMBLE DUKE! De******.. guess your showing your true colors huh.
    I wrote the same words he wrote to me but he made a story out of it. Now im insulting FairFax and your trying to get these guys to stand behind you..You crying old jewish woman doing laundry in brooklyn....you mad?!
    YOOOUUUUU MMMAAAADDDDDDD??!!
    and also Im proud of my post duke. Im as real as it gets. Ive gotten more applause and praise for what I write than you do blowing smoke up diffrent peoples ***.
    Dieslow.
    I fail to see how this is relevant to our discussion about housing in Northern Virginia.

How about continue this micturition contest via PM's? No one wants to read this stuff, and prospective employers won't see it either.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information