Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NakedTillerman25 View Post
    Well, we may not get to the bottom of whats wrong with the video, but that statement just explained whats wrong with the Fire Service today!!!
    Sorry if our SOP's are not the same as yours. In this area, we have the experience with having trailer house fires involving meth labs.

If we know someone is inside, we can do an interior search. If not, we prefer to take an exterior approach. We do not want to go inside and be in the middle of a meth operation gone wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee750 View Post
    Have you ever been to a trailer fire? We bring the proper GPM and then some but the smoke and heat need somewhere to go. I sure as hell ain't venting through the roof!! We don't have an aerial and I am not calling one mutual aid for a trailer. By the time it gets there it would be worthless. Cut a hole behind the seat of the fire and push it all out.

You have a metal roof and metal walls. That translates into one thing.... OVEN
    We've fought many trailer fires at Benton, I'm sure we'll be seeing a vast amount now that I'm at Springhill, so I know what you are talking about. A house fire is hot enough, a trailer fire is just fuel and like you said, an oven. Fuel + Oven = food is done.

EDIT: it could have been worse, fire conditions could have changed rapidly when they were opening up the siding; that guy without gear better be thankful.
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by Fireeaterbob View Post
    Using SCBA units and full PPE is no longer just for the big boys. It is for every FF that may be exposed to breathing that crap. Dont stand there and defend otherwise because it is CLEARLY an industry standard.

Stop treating FFing as a hobby and treat it as a job. You don't have to be a Career or Combi guy to do the job right. You just have to be professional about it. Nothing says you can't love your job like you love a hobby.
    The most intelligent thing posted here in a LONG time.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Nothing on the OP's link anymore. Just says intelligent monkeys were dispatched to fix the problem. So I won't comment on anything about it.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    We've fought many trailer fires at Benton, I'm sure we'll be seeing a vast amount now that I'm at Springhill, so I know what you are talking about. A house fire is hot enough, a trailer fire is just fuel and like you said, an oven. Fuel + Oven = food is done.

EDIT: it could have been worse, fire conditions could have changed rapidly when they were opening up the siding; that guy without gear better be thankful.
    Were you in the search class and RIT class I did up there a couple of months ago?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

“Judge not, and ye shall not be judged”
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged”
    Testify!!!!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

In the January class?
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

In the January class?
    Nope.

I taught a Saturday search class in March and a weekend RIT class in April for Springhill.

Forum Member

No the only one I heard about was a class in January in webster; I just joined Springhill in the middle of May. When are you teaching another one?
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

No the only one I heard about was a class in January in webster; I just joined Springhill in the middle of May. When are you teaching another one?
    Probably going to do a RIT class in south Webster in the fall.

Forum Member

Why don't you come up here to Benton?
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

Why don't you come up here to Benton?
    I've offered to do a class up that way but nobody seems interested.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I've offered to do a class up that way but nobody seems interested.

Maybe thats just the instructor choice.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's hard to teach a RIT class when all you do is repeat BUT YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN THERE ANYWAY.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Maybe thats just the instructor choice.
    Maybe, bit there are very few classes that get a lot of attendence in this parish compared to the parish I volunteer in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    It's hard to teach a RIT class when all you do is repeat BUT YOU SHOULDN'T BE IN THERE ANYWAY.
    Identifying when to leave the building is certainly a part of the full 2-day class as being able to identify conditions that may lead to a mayday is critical in terms of preventing a RIT event. And yes, I do discuss structures that are more likely to cause a mayday event, and should not be entered under marginal conditions or resources.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee750 View Post
    Have you ever been to a trailer fire? We bring the proper GPM and then some but the smoke and heat need somewhere to go. I sure as hell ain't venting through the roof!! We don't have an aerial and I am not calling one mutual aid for a trailer. By the time it gets there it would be worthless. Cut a hole behind the seat of the fire and push it all out.

You have a metal roof and metal walls. That translates into one thing.... OVEN
    Oh I've been to a few and I agree that you need horizontal ventilation. My point is that many of us no longer subscribe to the "push the fire out from the unburned side". Basically we used to use an 1.5" line on narrow fog (30 degrees)flowing 95 gpm and vent opposite the nozzle in hopes the fire would be directed out and to areas where the fuel ad already been consumed. Clearly, this had some positive affect as no fires from the 80's are still burning.

Today we use 1.75" lines on straight stream (better yet solid bore) flowing at least 150 and shoot for a standard 180gpm, attacking residential fires via the point that allows us to get between the fire an any occupants or means of egress and we do not "push the fire out", we put it out where it's found.

So while you can use older methodology that worked in the past, and the fire will still go out, don't expect the same results today you saw 20-30 years ago. In case you hadn't noticed, even in trailers the furnishings are much more combustible, heat release is greater and faster and new lightwieght structural members fail sooner, maybe it's time to rethink the plan of attack so the basis of the plan isn't built on archaic tactics.
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 06-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Forum Member

Hi skylarmorris89,
    I have watched the video and didn't find any issue in this.
    If you are talking about self contained breathing apparatus it's not a big deal as they are standing outside the house.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carlten View Post
    If you are talking about self contained breathing apparatus it's not a big deal as they are standing outside the house.
    Yeah? Tell that to some of the volunteer firefighters back from where I'm from that thought it wasn't a big deal and didn't realize that everytime some smoke came by and they breathed it in they were also breathing in PVC fumes. Now two of those five carry an O2 tank everywhere they go and the other three will never have full lung capacity again.

But, we all know, smoke is safe once it exits the building right? I mean it only has bad chemicals when it's interior. Once it mixes with the oxygen and nitrogen in the outside air it's good to go. Give me a break.

I guess you don't need and SCBA while standing outside a car that's burning either, no matter that you're surrounded by the biproducts of the fire.

Back In Black

Air is free.....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Air is free.....
    For now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Carlten View Post
    One of the topics that came up in a roundtable discussion at NYSAFC was cyanide - and one victim was a pump operator who was 30-ish feet from the fire building. There's some strong evidence that many fire fatalities are cyanide-based, and it's entirely possible that many post-incident firefighter "heart attacks" may actually be cyanide poisoning.

I'll plead guilty to the same mindset in the past, but my thoughts are changing on that.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

You guys do realize that a woodframe brick and mortar with drywall holds heat in better than something made of metal, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Probably going to do a RIT class in south Webster in the fall.
    You teaching a RIT class would be about like Hitler teaching a racial sensitivity class.

Thread Information