Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    Sorry if our SOP's are not the same as yours. In this area, we have the experience with having trailer house fires involving meth labs.

If we know someone is inside, we can do an interior search. If not, we prefer to take an exterior approach. We do not want to go inside and be in the middle of a meth operation gone wrong.
    So you don't search any of them in the off-chance there may be a meth lab? I'd be more worried about being bitten by a scared dog.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    You teaching a RIT class would be about like Hitler teaching a racial sensitivity class.
    Interesting, as I have taught several RIT classes in this area and generally they have been very well recieved.

Maybe, just maybe, you have no idea what you are talking about. Again.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Interesting, as I have taught several RIT classes and generally they have been very well recieved.

Maybe, just maybe, you have no idea what you are talking about. Again.
    Just keep telling yourself that, spode...you impress nobody.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Yeah? Tell that to some of the volunteer firefighters back from where I'm from that thought it wasn't a big deal and didn't realize that everytime some smoke came by and they breathed it in they were also breathing in PVC fumes. Now two of those five carry an O2 tank everywhere they go and the other three will never have full lung capacity again.

But, we all know, smoke is safe once it exits the building right? I mean it only has bad chemicals when it's interior. Once it mixes with the oxygen and nitrogen in the outside air it's good to go. Give me a break.

I guess you don't need and SCBA while standing outside a car that's burning either, no matter that you're surrounded by the biproducts of the fire.
    Fully agree that those involved in the active supression operation should have been on air.

That being said, I have no idea what the level of training was and it is possible that they were not SCBA qualiied. Right or wrong, that is often the reality of rural firefighting.

Forum Member

Just keep telling yourself that, spode...you impress nobody.
    So that's why they keep asking me to teach more classes? And the classes are always full?

Forum Member

So that's why they keep asking me to teach more classes? And the classes are always full?
    Your fairy tales impress nobody as well.

Forum Member

Arguing with LaFire is like trying to administer meds to a dead person, It just don't work.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Arguing with LaFire is like trying to administer meds to a dead person, It just don't work.

Yeah...but even beating a dead horse is good exercise if you really work at it.

Forum Member

Your fairy tales impress nobody as well.
    Let's see ....

In addition to teaching in house,

Have taught 4 RIT classes in the past 2 years.
    Have taught about 8-9 Reading Smoke classes to indivual departments, regionally and at LSU Pine Country in the past 3 years.
    Have taught classes at LA Arson & Fire Prevention Conference.

Will be co-instructing Juvenile Firesetter Intervention I & II in the next 2 months at LSU PIne Country.

And likely will teach a Reading Smoke class at next year's State Firefighter's Conference.

Guess that's just more of my fairy tales. I guess you're the one that has to prove I'm lying.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Forum Member

Let's see ....

Have taught about 8-9 Reading Smoke classes to indivual departments, regionally and at LSU Pine Country in the past 3 years.

Will be co-instructing Juvenile Firesetter Intervention I & II in the next 2 months at LSU PIne Country.

And likely will teach a Reading Smoke class at next year's State Firefighter's Conference.

Guess that's just more of my fairy tales. I guess you're the one that has to prove I'm lying.
    Again, noooobody cares, spode. Guys like you are a dime-a-dozen.

Forum Member

Let's see ....

Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

There's also an instructor who travels the state preaching firefighter fitness. He weighs 350+.

Being an instructor here doesn't make you an expert on anything. I'm not saying the level of instructors in the state are poor but if you're begging to teach, they'll let you.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.
    Really?

I guess all the guys that instruct here can't do it, right?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    There's also an instructor who travels the state preaching firefighter fitness. He weighs 350+.

Being an instructor here doesn't make you an expert on anything. I'm not saying the level of instructors in the state are poor but if you're begging to teach, they'll let you.
    Generally I'm asked to teach.

Not that it matters.

MembersZone Subscriber

Normal thought would lead to asking people touted as educators to teach. Unfortunately, anyone can get instructor I or II and teach from the book.

Does this mean our pool of instructors are the bottom of the barrel? No, not at all.

Does this mean you are any more knowledgeable than even 10% of the firefighters you "teach"? No, sorry.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Normal thought would lead to asking people touted as educators to teach. Unfortunately, anyone can get instructor I or II and teach from the book.

Does this mean our pool of instructors are the bottom of the barrel? No, not at all.

Does this mean you are any more knowledgeable than even 10% of the firefighters you "teach"? No, sorry.
    Whatever you say dude.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can deny it all you want but anyone with experience with the LSU system of instructors knows better. Touting your area's "desire" to "learn" from you doesn't hold water to anyone who knows the truth.

I have rope rescue I. I've been asked (and politely declined) to teach a group of guys whose knowledge on the subject far exceeded mine.

The state of our instructors is getting better, for every crappy one there are 10 great guys helping our brothers. But you saying you're "in demand" and "my classes are packed" is hilarious. Most hazmat classes are packed and maybe 5 asked to attend while the others have to. Classes are packed because we all have to go to class.

Forum Member

My kids went to space camp. It didn't make them astronauts.

More than likely LAFE's students take his instruction and put it in their tool box of experience and use it accordingly in a given situation. No two incidents are the same. I've not been in combat so I'm not trying to compare the two. Paraphrasing, "every plan is intact until the first shot is fired." Sometimes training was the order of the day, sometimes it was instinct. Sometimes it was both.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    My kids went to space camp. It didn't make them astronauts.

More than likely LAFE's students take his instruction and put it in their tool box of experience and use it accordingly in a given situation. No two incidents are the same. I've not been in combat so I'm not trying to compare the two. Paraphrasing, "every plan is intact until the first shot is fired." Sometimes training was the order of the day, sometimes it was instinct. Sometimes it was both.
    Very true. We have recently trained extensively in an effort to reconstruct our RIT plan. We spent pretty much every other shift, about 5 hours a shift and over 3 months, just doing RIT drills. Last shift we had a good burner on the third floor of a commercial building where we had a handful of injuries from a partial roof collapse. We didn't do a drill of 3 injured firefighters needing rescue on a third floor but taking what we learned over that time span we did it efficiently.

And the training didn't require a single dime, so the bull**** of "we don't have money to train" is null.

EDIT: i'm jealous of your kids, my mom never let me go to space camp....

Forum Member

You can deny it all you want but anyone with experience with the LSU system of instructors knows better. Touting your area's "desire" to "learn" from you doesn't hold water to anyone who knows the truth.

I have rope rescue I. I've been asked (and politely declined) to teach a group of guys whose knowledge on the subject far exceeded mine.

The state of our instructors is getting better, for every crappy one there are 10 great guys helping our brothers. But you saying you're "in demand" and "my classes are packed" is hilarious. Most hazmat classes are packed and maybe 5 asked to attend while the others have to. Classes are packed because we all have to go to class.
    Where did I say my classes were packed? Please quote it.

The RIT classes I teach are not through LSU but through a couple of departments in Webster. Usually several members of other neighboring departments also voluntarily attend. Average number is 15-20 which is good working size.

None of the outside classes I teach are "required". They are all voluntary and non-certification. People come because they are interested. Most don't come for a variety of reasons.

However, some of the smoke reading classes were taught on departments mandatory training nights, so yes, they had to be there.

Again, simply said that the classes I teach do well with repeat students. Take that however you wish.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Forum Member

Very true. We have recently trained extensively in an effort to reconstruct our RIT plan. We spent pretty much every other shift, about 5 hours a shift and over 3 months, just doing RIT drills. Last shift we had a good burner on the third floor of a commercial building where we had a handful of injuries from a partial roof collapse. We didn't do a drill of 3 injured firefighters needing rescue on a third floor but taking what we learned over that time span we did it efficiently.

And the training didn't require a single dime, so the bull**** of "we don't have money to train" is null.

EDIT: i'm jealous of your kids, my mom never let me go to space camp....
    But you have time on shift that volunteers don't have, so the "time issue" is still in play and very valid.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where did I say my classes were packed? Please quote it.

The RIT classes I teach are not through LSU but through a couple of departments in Webster. Usually several members of other neighboring departments also voluntarily attend. Average number is 15-20 which is good working size.

None of the outside classes I teach are "required". They are all voluntary and non-certification. People come because they are interested. Most don't come for a variety of reasons.

However, some of the smoke reading classes were taught on departments mandatory training nights, so yes, they had to be there.

Again, simply said that the classes I teach do well with repeat students. Take that however you wish.
    It may not be written that you have to take RIT but for ratings you have to have a certain amount of classes outside of company training and RIT, smoke reading, officer, and ventilation are the most widely taught in the state. Every department seeks out the same classes pretty much.

And many of our company training takes places on nights that we're off and with other shfits so that if you are filling in on another shift than your own, you are familiar with each of our small differences.

MembersZone Subscriber

Waiting on how you plan to spin "my classes are always full" isn't the same thing as saying your classes are packed. I teach AT the state academy, FULL TIME (though many of us are in the process of being laid off), in arguably the most important portion of a firefighters career, and even I'll tell you that this whole business of throwing around the credential of being an "educator" is a piece of ****. I can't name a single 2+ year career (and countless volunteers) who do not have instructor II. Instructor III isn't any extra information, just a different practical and certification.
    Last edited by tajm611; 06-22-2011 at 08:54 PM.

Forum Member

I've offered to do a class up that way but nobody seems interested.
    Maybe they have read your posts and said...ahhhh...no thanks....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Waiting on how you plan to spin "my classes are always full" isn't the same thing as saying your classes are packed. I teach AT the state academy, FULL TIME (though many of us are in the process of being laid off), in arguably the most important portion of a firefighters career, and even I'll tell you that this whole business of throwing around the credential of being an "educator" is a piece of ****. I can't name a single 2+ year career (and countless volunteers) who do not have instructor II. Instructor III isn't any extra information, just a different practical and certification.
    Wouldn't call a class of 15 to 20 as packed, but yes, when I set up 25 chairs for a reading smoke class or planned on 20 for a RIT class, most of the seats or spots would be taken. Again, call that what you want.

Given that I have over 20 years of teaching fireground operations, as well as public education and juvenile firesetting intervention on the departmental, county/parish, regional and state level, I consider myself and educator and instructor. Again, call me what you will as it matters little since we'll never meet and likely never have each other as an instructor.

Thread Information