Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Whats wrong in this video?

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats the big deal??

Just because no one is wearing SCBA
    I like the guy with the pike pole with no gear. That's just awesome!!

We have a trailer park in our district. When they burn it sucks!! Nothing more than a glorified dumpster fire. They are hot as all he11 inside until you ctr off some of that metal holding the heat in.

That one was not rocking too bad. I would have run a line in and pushed right out the back. Cut a hole in the outside wall where you want to push the fire.

Piece of cake!!

Forum Member

Must have been short on Turnouts, SCBA's, and safety glasses that day...WOW, that is bad.

Forum Member

The video wasnt that bad overall, ive seen worse. Yea, they were not wearing scba's, but no one was going into the trailer, they were outside in adequate ventilation. No that one guy should not of had his head inside of the window without a mask on, but that was his decision. I know a lot of departments around here do the same thing as they did and surround and drown the fire, as long as there is no life to be saved, those trailers are not safe to enter. Looks to me like it was a volunteer department, No, im not knocking volunteer departments, all im saying is that is why some of the guys didnt have full gear on.

Forum Member

Wow......that's all I'm gonna say.

Not to hijack the thread...but anyone out there operate with a different set of SOPs (specifically for making entry) for trailers than "regular" SFDs? Our informal SOP is, if there's smoke showing, entry is usually ok....if there's legitamate fire showing...not until it's knocked. Our mentality exists mainly because of: 1) in response to a close call we had where a trailer fire went south very quickly and 2) the fact that we only see one every 18 (or so) months...so we certainly aren't the most experienced at them.

Maybe someone who is more in tune with them can offer some insight...but I see these things as much more dangerous than a regular fire in a SFD.

Forum Member

at least there was no one on the roof....
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee750 View Post
    That one was not rocking too bad. I would have run a line in and pushed right out the back. Cut a hole in the outside wall where you want to push the fire.

Piece of cake!!
    Really? It's 2011 and your plan of attack is still to "push the fire out the back"? Most of us moved on to "bring the proper gpm to the fight to kill it in place".

MembersZone Subscriber

nobody nows the back story here. This may be a rural poor dept, may not be able to afford decent equipment etc. Given the limitations they seem to have had, no SCBA etc they did decent. Nobody was placed in harms way and they did a nice job opening up safely from outside. Yeah, maybe we would do it different but they seem to know wehat they are capable of. Sometimes we forget how good some of us have it.

Forum Member

Really? Guys are still fighting fires in 2011 without SCBA and proper gear. That's pathetic!!

So what if they are outside, do don't think they went in to hit hot spots or to mop up later on.

MembersZone Subscriber

I always "LIKE" (note the sarcasm) these videos & the judgement that is placed on them. Not all fire departments are the same. Those whom follow the NFPA guideline to a "T" & integrate it into their SOP's aren't the picture of perfection. Heck seems to me they only follow the guidelines that are easiest for them. So don't judge how others fight their fire, you are no better or worse than the brother/sister next door.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    I always "LIKE" (note the sarcasm) these videos & the judgement that is placed on them. Not all fire departments are the same. Those whom follow the NFPA guideline to a "T" & integrate it into their SOP's aren't the picture of perfection. Heck seems to me they only follow the guidelines that are easiest for them. So don't judge how others fight their fire, you are no better or worse than the brother/sister next door.
    Yeah it does no good to study other fires and learn from the mistake or triumphs of others. How dare we say there are right ways and wrong ways. After all it's only peoples lives and property on the line.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skylarmorris89 View Post
    You posted it? You tell us.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You posted it? You tell us.

Nothing's wrong. It's all good to me!

Forum Member

Poor departments don't wear Morning Pride gear....
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IllinoisFF3 View Post
    Really? Guys are still fighting fires in 2011 without SCBA and proper gear. That's pathetic!!

So what if they are outside, do don't think they went in to hit hot spots or to mop up later on.
    I think you would be shocked at the number of rural departments without gear for all thier members, and an inadequate number of SCBA.

On my VFD the average age of an SCBA is easily 15 years with some as old as 20-22 years. Money simply does not exist to replace them.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Department may very well have minimum interior training and or minimum number of members able to operate interior.

Good, safe job operating from the exterior.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    What are you talking about? We look at close call reviews, LODD's, and call critiques all the time. For our Clowser Ct. Fire, for example, we had some Prince William guys sit in on our critique to learn from the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30SCtOHUGhc

These studies are what guide changes in our SOP's and such. For example, how many have been injured or killed by missing critical information (fire extension, victims at the windows, two stories in the front, three in the back for example) by not doing a lap prior to making entry? What about coordinated ventilation vs breaking everything as you go along? The newer search tactics that have us leave the wall, sweep with our hands, and backtrack afterward instead of sweeping with a tool, why we should no longer flip or move furniture when searching (people arrange furniture to allow easy travel from room to room; if you throw everything around, you cut off those passageways), etc?

These are things we've learned from the misfortunes of others. Another example, many of us have seen that training fire where the FF's go inside, someone else goes up to the front door, starts PPV, and the place quickly flashes.

Ripping a department on an anonymous internet forum with incomplete information isn't wise, but we can and do learn from the successes and failure of other departments.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by edpmedic View Post
    What are you talking about? We look at close call reviews, LODD's, and call critiques all the time. For our Clowser Ct. Fire, for example, we had some Prince William guys sit in on our critique to learn from the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30SCtOHUGhc

These studies are what guide changes in our SOP's and such. For example, how many have been injured or killed by missing critical information (fire extension, victims at the windows, two stories in the front, three in the back for example) by not doing a lap prior to making entry? What about coordinated ventilation vs breaking everything as you go along? The newer search tactics that have us leave the wall, sweep with our hands, and backtrack afterward instead of sweeping with a tool, why we should no longer flip or move furniture when searching (people arrange furniture to allow easy travel from room to room; if you throw everything around, you cut off those passageways), etc?

These are things we've learned from the misfortunes of others. Another example, many of us have seen that training fire where the FF's go inside, someone else goes up to the front door, starts PPV, and the place quickly flashes.

Ripping a department on an anonymous internet forum with incomplete information isn't wise, but we can and do learn from the successes and failure of other departments.
    There is a big difference between "critique" & "bashing" I see a lot of "higher than thou" bashing on here. I should restate some how that not everyone on here is bashing. I've seen a lot of very interesting critiques to videos.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Default Trailer House Fire

In my experiences with trailer house fires, when the floor becomes wet & soggy from the hoseline water, you can fall through the floor when walking on it.

Therefore, unless there is a need to do an interior search, it may be better to spray water in the windows and peel the siding off to get at the fire.

Truckie

What's wrong? It got posted on firehouse, and every 1 horse wacker will give their 2 cents worth, whether the have had a fire this decade or not.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post
    In my experiences with trailer house fires, when the floor becomes wet & soggy from the hoseline water, you can fall through the floor when walking on it.

Therefore, unless there is a need to do an interior search, it may be better to spray water in the windows and peel the siding off to get at the fire.
    More than likely true here given the age of the home. Probably had some floor sag issues before the fire.

Forum Member

it may be better to spray water in the windows and peel the siding off to get at the fire.
    Well, we may not get to the bottom of whats wrong with the video, but that statement just explained whats wrong with the Fire Service today!!!

And LaFireEducator, I hate you and your opinions, so please save any response to any of my posts, FOREVER! Thanks

Back In Black

I know.

There was no cooler of beer for rehab.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Really? It's 2011 and your plan of attack is still to "push the fire out the back"? Most of us moved on to "bring the proper gpm to the fight to kill it in place".
    Have you ever been to a trailer fire? We bring the proper GPM and then some but the smoke and heat need somewhere to go. I sure as hell ain't venting through the roof!! We don't have an aerial and I am not calling one mutual aid for a trailer. By the time it gets there it would be worthless. Cut a hole behind the seat of the fire and push it all out.

You have a metal roof and metal walls. That translates into one thing.... OVEN

MembersZone Subscriber

If we want the public to pay for quality equipment, we have to use the 20+ SCBAs and proceed in a professional way and protect ourselves with the PPE we have got.

If we want to justify money for training and development then the hillbilly vfd tactics simply have to stop.

The industry's best practices every suceeding year are published and taught in more and more clear concise ways.

Using SCBA units and full PPE is no longer just for the big boys. It is for every FF that may be exposed to breathing that crap. Dont stand there and defend otherwise because it is CLEARLY an industry standard.

Stop treating FFing as a hobby and treat it as a job. You don't have to be a Career or Combi guy to do the job right. You just have to be professional about it. Nothing says you can't love your job like you love a hobby.

Sorry, venting...
    Last edited by Fireeaterbob; 06-17-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information