Forum Member

Default I found out I have a bad left eye...

So, we had our physical medical testing today. Had my blood tested, Ears, eyes, Pulmonary, plus had to do our physical agility testing in under 7 minuets. Which I was at 5 hoooohhhrayy... Trust me, that's fast for me...
    My eyesight is getting bad... ****. My whole life I've bragged about having perfect vision.
    Just want to share my misfortune with you all.

Forum Member

Misfortune?

You brought in a PAT in 5 minutes and your having a misfortune?????

When you put about 40 years in, 5 minutes is something that once was.

Man... I don't hear any violins playin'.

You want my list of battle wounds? I'd start but it would take me all day and into tomorrow. And none of it compares to 'misfortune'.

Consider yourself lucky my friend.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

mean head!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skylarmorris89 View Post
    So, we had our physical medical testing today. Had my blood tested, Ears, eyes, Pulmonary, plus had to do our physical agility testing in under 7 minuets. Which I was at 5 hoooohhhrayy... Trust me, that's fast for me...
    My eyesight is getting bad... ****. My whole life I've bragged about having perfect vision.

I have two bad eyes, both ears have hearing lost, both knees have been torn up and had surgery. I've been cut so many times, I lost count. You want me to go on with more.

I never considered anything as a 'misfortune', just part of the job and getting older day by day.

Stop your crying and bellyaching Skippy, I am much older than you and still can do the work of a 30 year old!

My brother-in-law who is a LEO had a tumor on his brain. He had surgery and back on the job. You think he let that hold him back and cried in his beer?

You moan and groan about have some eye sight loss.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I have two bad eyes, both ears have hearing lost, both knees have been torn up and had surgery. I've been cut so many times, I lost count. You want me to go on with more.

I never considered anything as a 'misfortune', just part of the job and getting older day by day.

Stop your crying and bellyaching Skippy, I am much older than you and still can do the work of a 30 year old!

My brother-in-law who is a LEO had a tumor on his brain. He had surgery and back on the job. You think he let that hold him back and cried in his beer?

You moan and groan about have some eye sight loss.
    I'm not really moaning... okay maybe I am. I had cancer in 8th grade Burkets lymphoma, not in the brain, but it was bad enough for 8 months. Been cancer free for 9 years now.

Forum Member

I'm not really moaning... okay maybe I am. I had cancer in 8th grade Burkets lymphoma, not in the brain, but it was bad enough for 8 months. Been cancer free for 9 years now.
    22 years old and crying worst than a 2 year old.

I'm putting you on my list kid.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default Try getting old

Kid....I have shoes older than you. Loss of eyesight...Please. Put in a few more years before you come on a site and complain about losing some eyesight. There are much more important things to talk about.

KMA644 out......

P.S. We had a Firefighter with a glass eye and was one hell of a Firefighter and didn't whine once.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

So basically you may need glasses now. Thanks for sharing, maybe I'll go light a candle for you on Sunday.

Forum Member

There are brothers who are dying of cancers from job related exposures, dying of heart attacks after being at structure fires and you are worried that your eyesight isn't what it used to be?

If you want sympathy, look it up in Mirriam-Webster's unabridged dictionary. You will find it between $#!t and syphillis.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I've been called alot of things... but never a mean head...

Now my feeling are very hurt.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember when I said there should be a 100 post benchmark before you can create a new thread? Do you see why?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Remember when I said there should be a 100 post benchmark before you can create a new thread? Do you see why?
    I have seen the light!

Forum Member

Originally Posted by skylarmorris89
    So, we had our physical medical testing today. Had my blood tested, Ears, eyes, Pulmonary, plus had to do our physical agility testing in under 7 minuets.
    They made you dance?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

UH OH! some one got pink named!
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

It takes someone royally ****ing me off to get "bold pinked"...
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Okay, I'll admit maybe my post are very stupid, but before you guys start judging me on work ethics. Realize this is a forum, not real life. I work very hard to put dinner on the table for my 3 month old. Yes, I may act childish I guess at times. I don't know why. I'm a good person I never look to make harm at anyone. So I'm sorry. I'll move on now. I really do apologize.

MembersZone Subscriber

in direct response:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

in direct response:
    Sounds good

Forum Member

skylar -- if thngs dont work out in Oregon - there is a VFD in Arizona thats always looking for help. I bet Donna would even let you bunk with "her"
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    skylar -- if thngs dont work out in Oregon - there is a VFD in Arizona thats always looking for help. I bet Donna would even let you bunk with "her"
    ha, nah ism perfectly fine. I only tend to **** people off online!

MembersZone Subscriber

Its funny, you never angered anyone here except for fyred but he's always mad so it doesn't count. I would actually say he was quite nice to you. You are the one who flew off the handle and screamed-typed your way into forum infamy. You have a lot of growing up to do.

Forum Member

Its funny, you never angered anyone here except for fyred but he's always mad so it doesn't count. I would actually say he was quite nice to you. You are the one who flew off the handle and screamed-typed your way into forum infamy. You have a lot of growing up to do.
    I'm sorry. It was just a bad spout off on my part!

Forum Member

@skylar

You know what... we are all human. I forgive you for calling me a mean head. I'm taking the advice of others and going to deal with it and accept it.

I have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions when someone can do a PAT in 5 minutes. I guess I am jealous.

Ok... I admit it... the kid is better than I am. I'll retreat from the field in shame and do some pushups, perhaps one or two anyway.

I hope that you understood my message... when you get most of your career behind you and if you can still wake up each morning without pain, you should consider yourself lucky. Some of us will never use parts of our body again without unimagineable pain.

20 years ago we compared our battle scars and how many surgeries we had under our belt. Today, we know they are there but forgot how we got them.

Hang in there kid... if you can't take what is dealt out here... you must work with a bunch of sissies.

Forum Member

Wow. I really wanted to thank you for putting this info out. I do not know how I have made it through my days without knowing this about you......whoever you are.

I'll add you to my Christmas list and file the information appropriately with the rest of the crap that I could care less about and wasted time reading on this site.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Wow. I really wanted to thank you for putting this info out. I do not know how I have made it through my days without knowing this about you......whoever you are.

I'll add you to my Christmas list and file the information appropriately with the rest of the crap that I could care less about and wasted time reading on this site.
    I'm interested to know what files are next to that one.
    IAFF

Thread Information