Thread: First save

Forum Member

Default First save

http://www.ksla.com/story/14888139/f...-springhill-la

A couple of days ago when I was at my volunteer department in Springhill, we caught a fire at a bank. A bank of all places! We were paged out around maybe around 1 in the morning and arrived with smoke spewing out of the roof. We arrived on scene and immediately got out of the trucks and pulled our pre-connected line and put together our smooth bore nozzle and began the attack. I wasn't on the nozzle, I was with our search team of three guys, so I armed myself with a 6" pike pole and we entered the bank and used a left hand search pattern. We found one victim, hiding in the bathroom in one of the stalls who was pretty shaken up, and so we got some paper towels and wet them using the sink water and he held them over his mouth; then we handed him off to the incoming pair of guys who responded POV. As soon as we found the fire, the attack team came up right behind us; they put out the fire as we exited the building to get more air. What was that guy doing there at 1 AM?

We had to do some nice overhauling, yeah it sucked, and found out that the fire started in what looked like a conference room (the news states it was a training room) but either way it got put out.

Also, one of the overhaul guys had taped one of his personal tools with that firefox illumination tape, it glowed like the sun! We also saw some of the dust and all that bad stuff coming off the walls as we looked for fire extension. I would recommend the bright green (the same kind that we had).

So I got my first save!
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREguy2011 View Post
    http://www.ksla.com/story/14888139/f...-springhill-la

A couple of days ago when I was at my volunteer department in Springhill, we caught a fire at a bank. A bank of all places! We were paged out around maybe around 1 in the morning and arrived with smoke spewing out of the roof. We arrived on scene and immediately got out of the trucks and pulled our pre-connected line and put together our smooth bore nozzle and began the attack. I wasn't on the nozzle, I was with our search team of three guys, so I armed myself with a 6" pike pole and we entered the bank and used a left hand search pattern. We found one victim, hiding in the bathroom in one of the stalls who was pretty shaken up, and so we got some paper towels and wet them using the sink water and he held them over his mouth; then we handed him off to the incoming pair of guys who responded POV. As soon as we found the fire, the attack team came up right behind us; they put out the fire as we exited the building to get more air. What was that guy doing there at 1 AM?

We had to do some nice overhauling, yeah it sucked, and found out that the fire started in what looked like a conference room (the news states it was a training room) but either way it got put out.

Also, one of the overhaul guys had taped one of his personal tools with that firefox illumination tape, it glowed like the sun! We also saw some of the dust and all that bad stuff coming off the walls as we looked for fire extension. I would recommend the bright green (the same kind that we had).

So I got my first save!
    First, Well Done! AND why no mention of the save by the news? Is it out of respect for the bank or something?

Sounds as if you have trained well. Really appreciate the firefox tape recommendation too.

How long have you been on the department btw?
    Last edited by jam24u; 06-16-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Forum Member

Awesome man.

So now something seems a little strange here. A fire mysteriously starts in a conference/training room of bank... at 1am. And you find a trapped occupant... in a bank... at 1am. hmmmmmmm. Something is fishy here, and it isn't lunch.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well, a lot of banks are operating with extended hours, and they just... I mean there is... well, when people work they.... Aw, crap. I got nothing. I have no idea why some goobersmooch would have been inside a bank at 1am.

Good job saving the unexplained occupant.

(Wait...maybe he fell asleep on the pooper before closing time & no one checked the stalls before locking up! No? Not buyin' that one? Okay.)
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Maybe it is just another wild and wonderful story coming from Bossier Parish, LA!!!

Nothing was mention in the news story!!!

Springhill, LA -
    At least 40-firefighters from the Springhill, Cullen and Serepta volunteer fire departments responded to the scene of an early morning blaze at Citizens Bank in Springhill. The fire happened around 1 a.m. Saturday morning in the 100 block of South Main Street.

Springhill's Fire Chief David Camp with District 11 said the fire started in a training room before spreading to the roof. He said there was "a lot of smoke and soot damage throughout all the bank and water damage in the bookkeeping operations area."

Citizens Bank and Trust President Tommy Boggs told KSLA News 12 that they have been experiencing electrical problems in the operations area of the bank. Fire Chief Camp said they are not sure what caused the fire.

Boggs said they will be operating out of their other bank site in town, in the 600-block of South Arkansas street, until repairs are finished.

"What will happen is we will have to not run our drive-in windows in our locations, we have Saturday banking on a drive-in basis on Saturday. We're not going to be able to do that. We will be up and running full force on Monday morning."

The State Fire Marshall's Office will be called in to assist in the investigation. Stay with KSLA News 12 and KSLA.com for the latest updates.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 06-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I have heard of after hours cleaning crews that get physically locked inside the building when they're working. An employee of the bank meets them there, opens the door and locks it behind them, when the shift is over the employee meets them there, does an inspection of the building to ensure nothing is wrong and then lets them out.

That may have been the case here. The manager stated in the news article that they had been having electrical problems previously. If that's the case and a vacuum or floor buffer were plugged into a bad outlet it could have overheated and sparked a fire.

I'm fairly certain The lockin practice is illegal in most areas if there are no panic bar doors in the event of a fire, but many of the members of these cleaning crews are undocumented/illegal aliens and when that's the case sometimes health and safety rules go out the window.

I've also seen this practice in restaurants and retail establishments, although those almost always have panic hardware on numerous doors throughout the establishment so it alleviates most of the safety concern.

Good Job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    First, Well Done! AND why no mention of the save by the news? Is it out of respect for the bank or something?

Sounds as if you have trained well. Really appreciate the firefox tape recommendation too.

How long have you been on the department btw?
    I don't know why there was any mention of the save. When my buddy and I left the building and got another tank, I never saw that guy again; so I don't know what happened to him. Yeah this was my 5th week over at Springhill, I've been at Benton for a couple of years now.

Awesome man.

So now something seems a little strange here. A fire mysteriously starts in a conference/training room of bank... at 1am. And you find a trapped occupant... in a bank... at 1am. hmmmmmmm. Something is fishy here, and it isn't lunch.
    Yeah I'm not a fire marshal or anything but hey, what the hell? Like I said earlier, I didn't see the guy again.

Well, a lot of banks are operating with extended hours, and they just... I mean there is... well, when people work they.... Aw, crap. I got nothing. I have no idea why some goobersmooch would have been inside a bank at 1am.

Good job saving the unexplained occupant.

(Wait...maybe he fell asleep on the pooper before closing time & no one checked the stalls before locking up! No? Not buyin' that one? Okay.)
    LOL, I don't know the majority of Springhill or it's homeless rates or whatever.

Sorry OldTimer, Springhill is in Webster
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Maybe it is just another wild and wonderful story coming from Bossier Parish, LA!!!
    Well obviously Bossier Bobby was not in any kind decision making capacity at this fire. We know this, because...

A) An interior attack was made without any knowledge of a victim.
    B) A search and rescue was executed without confirmation of a victim.
    C) Someone survived.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    I have heard of after hours cleaning crews that get physically locked inside the building when they're working. An employee of the bank meets them there, opens the door and locks it behind them, when the shift is over the employee meets them there, does an inspection of the building to ensure nothing is wrong and then lets them out.
    We do that at my office. Of course, my office isn't a bank, so it's not such a big deal.

Should have been finished cleaning before 1am, though, right?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post

That may have been the case here. The manager stated in the news article that they had been having electrical problems previously. If that's the case and a vacuum or floor buffer were plugged into a bad outlet it could have overheated and sparked a fire.

I'm fairly certain The lockin practice is illegal in most areas if there are no panic bar doors in the event of a fire, but many of the members of these cleaning crews are undocumented/illegal aliens and when that's the case sometimes health and safety rules go out the window.

I've also seen this practice in restaurants and retail establishments, although those almost always have panic hardware on numerous doors throughout the establishment so it alleviates most of the safety concern.

Good Job.
    Sorry I missed your post. That seems a little bit weird having one of those policies. Imaging if we hadn't gotten the call when we did
    I was kind of nervous when we did the search because I didn't think there would be a victim. I mean, I know that's why I joined Benton's ladder crew, but it was exhilarating finding someone!

Also if you guys were wondering what tool had the glow stuff on it, it was a fubar the guy ordered from thefirestore.com
    Without it, I wouldn't have noticed all the bad stuff we might have inhaled.
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Thread Information