Forum Member

Default Online fire academy

I am currently enrolled in an university trying to finish my associate's in management.I am currently not enrolled but I came across online fire academy and to be honest the price of trainingdivision.com and as well as online fire academy beats my local f.f academy prices by about 1500 give or take. I do live in fl.I figured the price was awsome to by pass has anyone ever went there have advice as far as how physical demanding it is,is it like bootcamp style? or more "hands on training ordeal? I know in 12 days it wont beat out the ability of what you learn in an tradition program but .Todays times its about MONEY and things arent all traditional in busy world.

So anyone have a little positive feed back on those programs?

Would like to hear what people have to say.
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by greekmedic View Post
    I am currently enrolled in an university trying to finish my associate's in management.I am currently not enrolled but I came across online fire academy and to be honest the price of trainingdivision.com and as well as online fire academy beats my local f.f academy prices by about 1500 give or take. I do live in fl.I figured the price was awsome to by pass has anyone ever went there have advice as far as how physical demanding it is,is it like bootcamp style? or more "hands on training ordeal? I know in 12 days it wont beat out the ability of what you learn in an tradition program but .Todays times its about MONEY and things arent all traditional in busy world.

Thanks
    So what do you wanna hear? You wanna hear people say positive things just to make you feel alittle better about it? Good luck finding ANYTHING positive about an ONLINE fire academy on this forum...or anywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    So what do you wanna hear? You wanna hear people say positive things just to make you feel alittle better about it? Good luck finding ANYTHING positive about an ONLINE fire academy on this forum...or anywhere.
    I'll say something positive. I went through an online fire academy and got job offers at 2 different fire departments within 4 months of graduating. One was part-time paid, the other (which I chose) is a full-time paid.

Best move I've ever made. Don't listen to the "doubters"....online fire academies are going to become the future and just like anything else, it's not the class, but the cadet. You get out of it what you put in.

Take care,
    Pete

Forum Member

Thank ,yea ,due to money etc now a days i came across training online and it was half price,even with round trip ticket to and from the training honestly it still was about half the price of the the fire academy down the street..so kinda why I wanted know more about it.

Forum Member

Good place

Great group

You are constantly learning on the job

You learn the basics in boot camp

Go for it if it works for you

You do not say what state you are in, just make sure that state / cities accept the training. If it is even needed

MembersZone Subscriber

this is my post from another thread about training division. I copied and pasted so i don't have to type it again. and there is nothing wrong with an online academy if that is what it takes for you to get your cert. VES medic probably learned the same **** as his traditional academy as you will learn at training division.

Training division is good. You will catch some flack but that's from people that don't think outside the box.

They were the first to create a curriculum online and now others have jumped on board and base their business/training model off of TD's. They have good people working there from a diverse background within the fire service. TD is different than a traditional academy. You must be self motivated to accomplish the academic portion.

Look at it this way, what you need to get a job is to go to academy, pass the exam and skills evals and get the cert. When you get hired you will go through an orientation for that department (if they don't put you through an orientation then you probably don't want to work for them) and they will more than likely have an officer or a senior firefighter who will mentor and evaluate you for a determined amount of time.

Academy's are just what they are meant to be, a school. They teach a state mandated curriculum. No academy can duplicate what a real fire will be like for you as no fire is the same and no firefighter is the same. So find a way to get your cert and just get it done. If TD works for you to gain your certificate then do it. If you want to go to a traditional academy, then do it. TD is just another option and it is a dang good option.

Forum Member

Very well said

State of tx mandates so many hours and cover specific topics

As long as that is accomplished an academy can add and somewhat deminish the requirements

As you say the fight does not start till you get hired

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpete View Post
    I'll say something positive. I went through an online fire academy and got job offers at 2 different fire departments within 4 months of graduating. One was part-time paid, the other (which I chose) is a full-time paid.

Best move I've ever made. Don't listen to the "doubters"....online fire academies are going to become the future and just like anything else, it's not the class, but the cadet. You get out of it what you put in.

Take care,
    Pete
    http://www.edvancementsolutions.com/open-fire.php

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by greekmedic View Post

Thanks
    http://www.edvancementsolutions.com/open-fire.php

MembersZone Subscriber

firegawg have you used them before?
    Saving the world, one medical local at a time!

MembersZone Subscriber

Firedawg, you never seem to get back to anyone about your fireacademy.org thing. Are you sure you aren't a bot? If you aren't how about you tell us about that site rather than just putting a link up

tcd
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    ...Good luck finding ANYTHING positive about an ONLINE fire academy on this forum...or anywhere.
    The above quote is simply not an accurate assessment.

I'm in a similar situation where an online program is the only option I have for getting trained to certify as a FF. I've looked at a few options, and searched this and other forums for testimony regarding trainingdivision.com, and what I've found is that the majority of opinions are positive. I even found the same pattern in another forum's thread that was specifically asking for negative experiences.

The consensus seems to be this:

The traditional full-time academy route is preferred if you could pick between the two, but if you're like many working adults that have obligations that prevent them from going the traditional route, then an online option is perfectly fine as long as it's a reputable outfit and the departments in your area accept it.

Regarding trainingdivision.com specifically -

I've read tons of posts on their program and lost count of the positive feedback it gets, both from former students and those that know former students or the school itself. I can probably count on my hand the negative feedback, and it's usually a generic "online is no good" statement such as the one posted above, and not specific to trainingdivision, or the same type of comment but specifying EMS at trainingdivision.

If you want to read a bunch of comments regarding the program go to a website called Firehall and search their education forum,there's one thread on there that's 16 pages long. (cue Canadian jokes...3..2..1...go!)

That said, do some research on the school, search this forum and the one I just mentioned, search google, visit their website and facebook page, and you'll walk away feeling reassured that doing an online program through them is a good choice.

As for me, I'll likely be signing up with them early next year once I've joined up with a volunteer department locally. My hope is that as I work through the online portion I'll be able to apply what I'm learning through volunteer work and training, which further reduces the fear of "not enough hand's on".

Forum Member

Try openfireacademy.org, they offer certification courses in all areas of fire courses/ FESHE/ and offer degree program as well. So in other words you can get both bangs at once at the same place, and you can study and do your work at your own pace. They are IFSAC and Pro-Board Certification but you can get dual for those through them and get a Regional Accredited college degree. 1-800-225-9567 or openfireacademy.org.

Thread Information