Forum Member

Default call response in POV

In rural Massachusetts, where call and volunteer departments predominate, problems arise when responding to the firehouse to man the apparatus. Here, there is a state law requiring motorist to yield to approaching emergency vehicles ( including POV displaying legally permitted flashing red lights and siren). Pulling over to the right side of the road with turn signal and stopping is required when overtaken from ahead or behind to allow the responding emergency vehicle to safely proceed. Very few motorists are aware of this law and fail to yield, creating unsafe condition for all the road users and often impede the progress of the call, depriving first responders of precious minutes and seconds when life and property are at risk. Sometimes these same uninformed and careless drivers will phone the Chief, or police station, and complain about us firefighters and EMTs trying to safely do our job.
    I am interested in how other communities' FD deal with this problem. Public safety awareness campaigns might work. Are there any packaged programs with a proven record of success?
    JR
    Last edited by jarowen; 06-17-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: word choice

Forum Member

I usually just pop out of my sunroof and blast a short burst out of my M60 machine gun over their heads. Works wonders.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is how I run.....right, wrong, or indifferent.

I have a few whoopie lights on my truck, both front and back. We are a suburban/rural department, and although I live within 3 minutes of the station, I can rearely make a rig.

When I drive with my whoopie lights on, I only pass if the perosn in front of me yields right of way, that means acknowledges me and pulls over, be it a stop or a slow down, but ONLY if it is safe to do so for me and them.

If a driver refuses, so be it...I am runing a courtesy light. I do not need to wreck my truck or get sued.

If there is no traffic in front of me, I typically turn off the lights.

I ALWAYS turn off the front lights at red traffic lights! This helps to avoid alot of confusion.

I always make it a point to drive safely and non-erratically when using my blue lights. I do not need a complaint.
    FTM - BTB - KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I usually just pop out of my sunroof and blast a short burst out of my M60 machine gun over their heads. Works wonders.
    Please excuse my friend. He gets a little overexcited. Obviously an M5 is much more appropriate for this application.

On the question at hand, this is a tough situation. While the law states that motorists must yield to POV responders there is very little you can do if they don't. I've been in that position and it can be frustrating. On the department side first, take a look at the complaints. If the members are driving like knuckleheads then you're going to lose the public. Any campaign will fall on deaf, or angry, ears. I think a pub/ed program to help explain who you are and why your doing it would help. In the end, though if people don't yield, they don't..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarowen View Post
    Sometimes these same uninformed and careless drivers will phone the Chief, or police station, and complain about us firefighters and EMTs trying to safely do our job.
    I lived in the Boston area for 2 years and EMTs and firefighters trying to SAFELY do their job when it came to emergency driving seemed to be the exception, not the rule. I can't count the number of times I've seen ambulances (and, mind you, I'm talking about marked ambulances, not POVs with a red light and a siren) feel the need to push a line of cars through a red light into an intersection with the ambulance 4-5 cars back or running up I-93 with lights and sirens trying to get cars moving out of their way with traffic going 65+ mph (despite the absolute asinine speed limit of 55 mph). If providers are that bad in marked units, I can't imagine the stupidity that goes on during a POV response.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Please excuse my friend. He gets a little overexcited. Obviously an M5 is much more appropriate for this application.
    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Two things to remember,
    1- Nobody cares unless it is their house that's on fire or their dad having a MI.
    2- The most important thing is getting there.
    The A/C is not cold enough, the warning lights are not bright enough, siren is not loud enough, the C.D. player skips every time we jump a curb, cab doors only open to 89.5* and it's been like this since day one!!!!

Forum Member

I always tell our guys in driver training:

We want to get there fast, but the "get there" comes before the "fast".
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarowen View Post
    Here, there is a state law requiring motorist to yield to approaching emergency vehicles ( including POV displaying legally permitted flashing red lights and siren). Pulling over to the right side of the road with turn signal and stopping is required when overtaken from ahead or behind to allow the responding emergency vehicle to safely proceed.
    What state are you from again? Massachusetts does not recognize POVs with lights as emergency vehicles and has no law that you must pull over for them.

If people are calling the chief to complain, maybe you are not driving safely. POVs are held to the same laws and speed limits as any other car on the road. Only emergency vehicles are permitted to exceed the speed limit as long as it is safe to do so; and a POV is not one of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post

Lightweights.

Dual M2 50 cals, mounted on a joystick operated turntable, remotely fired.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Lightweights.
    Dual M2 50 cals, mounted on a joystick operated turntable, remotely fired.
    Boys and their toys.

Real men use a M134 Gatling gun, on a swivel.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    Boys and their toys.

Real men use a M134 Gatling gun, on a swivel.

FM1
    Something like this maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZPTDh1YHvA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KB1OEV View Post
    Yep, that be the one.

My other choice has radiation issues, so I left it out.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    My other choice has radiation issues, so I left it out.
    So go for the PPB-76.......no half lifes to deal with, with an explosion just as exciting!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I think I just peed a little..

Only problem is you need someone to man it... Another option that is remotely operated:
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Ammo Load

I wouldn't want to have to hand load all the brass discharging from the gun. It would take the better part of three weeks!!!!

Thread Information