MembersZone Subscriber

Default 3 baxter springs firefighters fired for looting in Joplin

Three firefighters are fired and the Baxter Springs fire chief is placed on administrative leave while an investigation is underway into the looting of Joplin businesses on the night of the May 22nd tornado.

In a statement from Baxter Springs Mayor Jennifer Bingham, she says the city of Baxter Springs upholds a zero-tolerance policy and as a city we will stand united against any such behavior.

It is unclear yet whether three unnamed firefighters were on duty at the time of the looting.

Last Saturday, Fire Chief Les Page was asked to take an administrative leave of absence.

Mayor Bingham says Page was not involved in the wrongdoings of the three firefighters. He has been with the department for nearly 40 years. In his absence Art Mallory has been named acting fire chief.

At this point Joplin authorities have not yet filed charges against the three firefighters.

http://www.koamtv.com/story/14929489...ed-for-looting

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

There's some in every crowd. It could easily happen to any of us.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Un-fracking-real.. way to go @$$holes...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Way to go guys...

"Well your honor... I figured the insurance company was going to cover that 52" Wide Screen TV...so I took it home...."

You can't fix stupid...

I propose an open-season with no bag limit...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Did we forget the principle of innocent until proven guilty?

How about we wait until after the trial (if there are ever any charges filed) for the hanging?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Did we forget the principle of innocent until proven guilty?

How about we wait until after the trial (if there are ever any charges filed) for the hanging?

Yea... you're right. We did kinda skip that little detail.

It doesn't look like Baxter Springs waited before execution, so the evidence must be convincing.

What say you 301?
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! And that's all I will say about it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Yea... you're right. We did kinda skip that little detail.

It doesn't look like Baxter Springs waited before execution, so the evidence must be convincing.

What say you 301?
    I know not. Just relaying the news report. Catch may know more, but probably is not allowed to say much at this point.

I do think that you are right however, the evidence must be fairly damning if they have already been terminated, not suspended pending the outcome, but I could be wrong.

If they did do it, I hope the authorities over there hang them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh man, that is the lowest of low.

As if the fire service doesn't already have a black eye.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I know not. Just relaying the news report. Catch may know more, but probably is not allowed to say much at this point.
    Honestly, I don't know much more than what the media's put out. I hope to keep it that way.

Forum Member

forget the hanging, make them a statistic....
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    There's some in every crowd. It could easily happen to any of us.
    Well actually, I don't really believe that it would "easily" happen to any of us. A real shame but certainly not a reflection on the vast vast vast majority of firefighters. If guilty, they should be made examples of.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

MIKEY, I do not completely agree with you on your conclusions. Despite the best efforts of our board in conducting background checks and requiring 6 months of probationary time before accepting candidates, we have occasionally ecountered individuals who were eventually removed from our ranks. Some of these individuals had considerable time in the department before errant behavior occurred requiring their dismissal. Every time these transgressions became public through the courts or newspaper articles, the image of the fire company is affected. This perception almost always is reflected in the public opinion and support. It affects the city budget, the truck replacement funds, the efforts to justify this or that and if volunteer, it affects the donations. Any blanket impression formed by the general public concerning the fire service always produces some negative effect on the overall operations. Sometimes the public can relate to the problem, like a FF who goes nuts over an impending divorce and the destruction of his world and resorts to setting his own house on fire. Temporary insanity is difficult to anticipate and test for in candidates. Honesty and integrity are another matter. By the time we get to interview a prospective firefighter at 18 or 21, there should have been some errant behavior that someone knows about. Even with the best efforts of the department members, in sorting out candidates, we sometimes induct individuals with less than acceptable integrity. Bad enough for the public to loose something to theft, but when fire company property is lost the department and the public are worse for the loss. This is a bad deal for this volunteer company and a black mark for the entire volunteer service. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

I said the vast vast vast MAJORITY. I stand by my post.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

As KuhShise says - despite all good intentions, sometimes a bad egg will get through.

More important, I think, is the environment in which it happened, which was total chaos.

At a regular structure fire, we're usually limited to one building (house) with a single owner. Grabbing the jewelry out of the jewelry box on the dresser would be stupid as the owners would soon recognize the theft and the list of suspects would be relatively small.

In Joplin (or any other storm ravaged area) there can be a certain sense of anonymity - we don't know who the owners are, possibly which house the item came from, or even if the owner is still alive. Further, we may not be leaving any clues as to who we are. This can lead to a sense of "nobody will ever miss it." While the vast majority will do the right thing, as Mikey points out, there are those who will fall victim to the temptation and put that broach (or whatever) in their pocket.

I don't recall hearing exactly what was taken (or else I missed it).

Don't take this as being accepting of their actions - it's not. They need to be punished (publicly) for their actions, not only because of the theft of items, but because of the damage to our collective image.
    Last edited by tree68; 06-27-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Forum Member

Don't take this as being accepting of their actions - it's not. They need to be punished (publicly) for their actions, not only because of the theft of items, but because of the damage to our collective image.
    You're assuming that they actually took anything... I've yet to see any report of them being convicted; nor even charged with any crime for that matter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    You're assuming that they actually took anything... I've yet to see any report of them being convicted; nor even charged with any crime for that matter.
    True that.

Just working from the initial reports that they were allegedly looting, ie, stealing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Mike Hobson, JPD
    “It concerns the theft of some property in the tornado zone,” Hobson said. “We’re just getting into it.”
    Thus we're left to assume that they performed some egregarious deed, like stealing from damaged businesses, and were somehow outed, at least within their department. I'm guessing that they were either caught red handed with the loot, or bragged up their exploits (or both).

Hopefully someone in the media is following this story so the resolution is reported as widely as the accusation. With any luck, it will turn out the accusation wasn't true.

Forum Member

Hopefully someone in the media is following this story so the resolution is reported as widely as the accusation. With any luck, it will turn out the accusation wasn't true.
    Until we hear something conclusive, we should probably remember that this is the last statement we heard from the Joplin PD on June 16:

LT. MIKE HOBSON of the Joplin Police Department emphasized Thursday that it was “too early” to discuss whether charges would be filed against Baxter Springs firefighters under scrutiny for their activities the night of the tornado. Hobson said no charges had been filed in Kansas or Missouri.
    And as of June 24:

No arrests

The Joplin police investigation has not led to any arrests and no charges have been filed. Globe efforts to obtain further comment from police were unsuccessful on Friday.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 06-27-2011 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added update

Thread Information