Forum Member

Default regional question

When working with multiple departments on a regional grant, I think I remember hearing that its a good idea to have each department sign a letter of agreement or contract stating that they agree to pay their portion of the grant cost match.... How detailed does that letter or contract need to be? Does it need to be notorized or anything? What should or shouldn't be included in the agreement?

Thanks in advance...

Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volff1170 View Post
    When working with multiple departments on a regional grant, I think I remember hearing that its a good idea to have each department sign a letter of agreement or contract stating that they agree to pay their portion of the grant cost match.... How detailed does that letter or contract need to be? Does it need to be notorized or anything? What should or shouldn't be included in the agreement?

Thanks in advance...

Tim
    Tim it is called am MOU or Memorandum of Understanding. This document will spell out the who, what , when, where, and why for each participant in a regional project.It should address the costs to each department and what they will be receiving in terms of equipment. Who is in charge of that equipment, who is responsible for maintenance of it, what you can or cannot do with that equipment in terms of ownership and selling or giving it away. It should discuss who is in charge of the grant reporting and what is expected of each department in that regard. It will offer a plan for who is going to be in charge of maintaining the inventory counts and records. All of these things get discussed depending upon the nature of the project you are attempting. Since it involves long-term commitment of usually 3 years or more, it is something that should be signed and accepted by the governing body of the FD.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thanks Kurt!!

I just did a search for some samples of MOU's on Google.. Hopefully I can use that as a reference.

Thanks again!!

Tim

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volff1170 View Post
    Thanks Kurt!!

I just did a search for some samples of MOU's on Google.. Hopefully I can use that as a reference.

Thanks again!!

Tim
    You are quite welcome and it was my pleasure. If you ever need advice give me a shout. 863-551-9598.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Make sure to include a clause about their responsibility in replacing a piece of equipment that was purchased through the grant.

If you are the submitter and awardee of the grant, make sure you are the person in charge of the equipment in the MOU as well. It's all going to flow through you anyway and you cannot let some ego knucklehead assume anything on their own about the equipment.

Besides the MOU, if you are a volunteer/combo department and within a mutual aid system, this also may be the time to renew or rewrite you auto/mutual aid contracts. The MOU can be slid right into those documents as a temporary rider or seperately but as a package.

Thread Information