Forum Member

Default finding f.f.work,is it that hard to find a job?

Hi i have question is it really that hard to find a job as an fire fighter anywhere in united states,i notice alot post on this site about issues regarding hiring/employment in departments/cities/county fire departments.

So what is the deal,is it really that hard to apply and find work ?what are odds of getting hired after you finish your fire academy/emt?

Forum Member

Like any profession now a days, it's certainly harder than it used to be. It really depends n where you are.
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

Depends on the state. City. If certs are needed

And IMO a matter of luck sometimes

Forum Member

You'll be competing against a lot of other people for available spots. There are also many cities that are laying off or just not hiring right now. It'll be pretty tough, you just have to do research into who's hiring and what you need to do to have the best chance there.

Forum Member

Talking

At this point in time there are more Firefighters being laid off than there are new hire positions.

ADD IN THE SHORT TERM FUNDING OF POSITIONS PROVIDED BY SAFER GRANTS AND THERE WILL BE SOME MASSIVE LAYOFFS COMING IN A COUPLE OF YEARS.
    The cities & towns that got safer funding have to maintain all those federally funded position for 2 years and then poof the pink slips will fly again.

There are a few openings posted for hiring around the country , but you will be competing against literally hundreds of applicants for each position hired.
    Not an impossible task , but certainly not easy either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    At this point in time there are more Firefighters being laid off than there are new hire positions.
    I doubt that. Maybe in your corner of the world, but not everywhere.

Many Depts in Washington are hiring, many are hiring 10+ at a time. There have been some layoffs recently, but there are far more people being hired than laid off.

To answer the OP, yes. It was very competetive when times were good, and it's worse now. It's doable, but it's a grind.

Forum Member

I think it really boils down to where you are looking... simple as that
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by greekmedic View Post
    So what is the deal,is it really that hard to apply and find work ?
    Yes. Yes it is. Several people, even hundreds of people apply for one position.

That is why you need to make yourself stand out above the rest by getting as much education and training as you get your hands on.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Ya it's hard but it's up to you to make it happen. I've been hired twice this year by different departments, and I know someone else who's been hired twice too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by greekmedic View Post
    Hi i have question is it really that hard to find a job as an fire fighter anywhere in united states,i notice alot post on this site about issues regarding hiring/employment in departments/cities/county fire departments.

So what is the deal,is it really that hard to apply and find work ?what are odds of getting hired after you finish your fire academy/emt?
    It's very difficult. Here in CA, it's nearly impossible. I know guys who have been testing for years with no luck... I tested at one dept in VA not too far back where there were about 1600 people testing for 20-30 positions... Another dept had 600 testing for 20, and yet another 600 for 1 position. It varies, but what will not vary is the fact that it IS very competitive. You can't really limit yourself to any one area...you have to be willing to look further away than you might consider ideal.

MembersZone Subscriber

CA is next to impossible. Most departments are on a hiring freeze and have been for years, and many departments are laying off firefighters, not hiring them, on top of regular retirements. Thats why I left and went to Texas, CA just isn't worth it, theres almost no hope out there. Thousands of firefighter medics with experience competing for entry level jobs, if you want to be a firefighter, don't go to CA, go to VA, CO, TX, or WA. Thats where the hiring is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    Ya it's hard but it's up to you to make it happen. I've been hired twice this year by different departments, and I know someone else who's been hired twice too.
    How do you get hired twice? Two different offers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by amtresidder View Post
    CA is next to impossible. Most departments are on a hiring freeze and have been for years, and many departments are laying off firefighters, not hiring them, on top of regular retirements. Thats why I left and went to Texas, CA just isn't worth it, theres almost no hope out there. Thousands of firefighter medics with experience competing for entry level jobs, if you want to be a firefighter, don't go to CA, go to VA, CO, TX, or WA. Thats where the hiring is.
    I'm not so sure about CO being a place to go. There are tons of guys who come from CA to here for jobs and are finding out the situation is very similar. It's better than most, but still not like out east.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FranckNBeans View Post
    I'm not so sure about CO being a place to go. There are tons of guys who come from CA to here for jobs and are finding out the situation is very similar. It's better than most, but still not like out east.
    Yeah, but at least you are testing and some departments are hiring. I participated in CO Springs, Poudre and West Metro and did well but got a job in Dallas before any of them hired. Those are the big ones I've known of recently, on top of DRCOG, Denver this fall. It's not great, but its considerably better than CA, where there are hardly even tests to take, and the few jobs that are there you compete with thousands who are overqualified and experienced. I came to Texas and Colorado and found that the competition wasn't nearly as fierce and there are way more jobs to compete for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by amtresidder View Post
    Yeah, but at least you are testing and some departments are hiring. I participated in CO Springs, Poudre and West Metro and did well but got a job in Dallas before any of them hired. Those are the big ones I've known of recently, on top of DRCOG, Denver this fall. It's not great, but its considerably better than CA, where there are hardly even tests to take, and the few jobs that are there you compete with thousands who are overqualified and experienced. I came to Texas and Colorado and found that the competition wasn't nearly as fierce and there are way more jobs to compete for.

This guy is spot on.
    So tough to get in any department in CA.
    Everyone has a fire academy, a medic cert and experience(paid or volunteer)

You might get lucky and get picked up by a big department but the deck is stacked against you. Some of these tests open up and close within minutes(4-5) and often times they need to fill two spots....

If you're dead set on staying in CA, like I was, keep hustling and make it happen. If you can go out of state and test, I would highly recommend it. I am currently in a different state testing for the first time and I just went through my poly.... I have never made it this far in CA but keep in mind I am fairly new to the testing process.

Whatever you decide to do. Good luck.

Thread Information