Thread: Father's Day

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Father's Day

With Father's Day upon us I wondered how many of us followed our father's into the fire service.

My Dad was a volunteer firefighter in Winfield Illinois from I believe 1958 until 1971 when we moved to Wisconsin. He almost immediately joined the Wyocena Bureau of Fire as a volunteer and was a member there until his death from cancer. Of course in his latter years his duties changed and he usually manned the station and watched the firefighter's kids while the younger guys went on the call.

I spent many many hours in the old fire barn in Winfield with my Dad. Heck I thought every boy grew up and became a fireman because all my friends Dad's were firefighters. (That Fd was where I also learned that Mack and firetruck meant the same thing!!) I followed him onto the Wyocena Bureau of Fire. Went from there to another POC FD, worked part-time for another fire department, became a civilian state firefighter on a WiANG base, then back to Wyocena to that FD at the same time, and now my job in the burbs of Miwaukee.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 06-18-2011 at 09:24 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I am the first in my line, I hope my sons may want to follow in my steps.

They would be good at it if they did, Better than me anyways.
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    I am the first in my line, I hope my sons may want to follow in my steps.

They would be good at it if they did, Better than me anyways.

My oldest son is on Wyocena and is trying to get on a career FD.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Default Dad

Nope....I'm the only one. My Uncles and Cousins were all employed by San Francisco Fire and South San Francisco Fire.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

My father was a volunteer firefighter for a while, until he and another fellow formed the auxiliary (later reserve) police in the same town.

Either way, it planted a seed of public service that led me to follow the fire path (the police path wasn't really available where I live now).

My son joined my department as soon as he was of age, then after a stint in USAF and a move to MD, he became a volunteer FF there, which led him to a job as a federal firefighter.

The grandkids are too young to even consider such thoughts right now.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

My Father (chiefengineer11) has been an active volunteer in Montgomery County, Pa. since 1957, interrupted only by 4 years active duty USN. I hung out with him at the firehouse from the ripe old age of 3, when he took me to a parade on board a **certain 1958 F.W.D. Pumper, the first firetruck I ever rode on. I continued to hang out with him at the firehouse, running parades, training functions, handing him wrenches and learning how to cuss and throw said wrenches......Then finally when I turned 16, I was able to join the company......In fact, the monthly business meeting was three days before my 16th b-day, so they voted me in "contingent upon turning 16" or else I would have had to wait another month.

And even prior to joining the company, starting at about 14 or so, I became an avid fire buff and ate, breathed, slept and pooped the Philadelphia Fire Department (ok ok ok maybe a little of Camden and FDNY thrown in there too.)

My volunteerism and buffism convinced me that I wanted to be a Career Firefighter. I kept trying for the Philly Fire Department, but circumstances beyond my control did not allow that. So I became a Federal Firefighter for 10 years, it was a good run, but more circumstances led me out of the Federal gig into civilian life as a Code Enforcement Official/Building Inspector/Plans Examiner/Fire Marshal. I owe it all to Pops.

**That certain 1958 F.W.D.......I now own it!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Fyred: Thanks for sharing that story.

My dad was a firefighter but I never got the chance to work with him. He always told me to not pursue this. He became very ill at about the same time I signed on.

The fire service runs thick in our blood and DNA.

My Wife serves at a different dept than the one I serve (Different State). We actually competed for the same job once many years ago.... she won.

Out of our 5 children, 4 are currently Firefighters (3 Girls, 1 Boy). None of us work for the same agency today which is the sad part. There is just nothing like having your kid working by your side. I miss it.

Two of my Grandkids are Firefighters, (from the daughter that isn't a firefighter). Figure that out. I'm pretty sure a few of the other 15 grandkids will follow this path.

From a dad's point of view, we always want our children to be better than we are. That wasn't an issue for my bunch of highly competitive kids.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

First firefighter in my family, ever.

Don't have kids yet...but when (read: if) I'd love to see them follow my footsteps.....I'm kind of jealous of the incredible bonds and experiences between firefighting son/father pairs I've seen other guys on my department have.....wish I had that growing up.

Forum Member

At one point my Dad was the Chief of Wyocena, I was the A/C, my brother was the fire inspector, my then wife(now ex) was a firefighter, and so was one of my sisters. It was definitely a family business.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I just remember what Lewis Grizzard (great writer from the Atlanta Journal Constitution and UGA alumni) said and it is very applicable here. Just change Mother to Father, "Boys, be sure and tell your mother, happy mothers day, I wish I could tell mine"
    I lost my dad 2 years ago, I sure do miss him, I learned much from him!

Happy Father's day to all!
    Flochief

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I followed my father into the fire service.

My father was on the of founding members of a local volunteer fire department back in 1955. This department grew into 5 stations covering the 5 townships surrounding the city of Eau Claire, WI. http://www.townshipfire.org/

There are family pictures of me as a small yard ape in my father rubber boots wearing his helmet. I remember hanging out at the station a lot and later trying to chase fire trucks on my bike as they left the station.

The only reason I am in Altoona which is just across a small lake is that I started as an explorer there in Jan of 1990 and just wasn't smart enough to leave!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Two uncles, two cousins, my father and me are all in the local poc dept, holding various ranks of course. My grandfather retired 20+ years ago and then held the highest rank possible at the dept. This is all on my mother's side of the family. My grandfather had two daugthers and in order to get married their future husbands were "forced" to join the dept. or else he wouldn't let his daugthers go. It's more like an inside family joke.

While it's "fun and cool" to go on calls together with family it's also, sometimes, a pain in the *****. In general one should leave the fire stuff at the fire station and leave the family stuff at home but it's a gray area.

I enjoy working together and for my father on calls. Being on the job certainly helped me understand the things my father had to experience. In the end I think it's bringing us closer together and that can only be a good thing.

Forum Member

Well, fyred answered it for me lol. Followed him, who followed his dad. I love it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Trying hard for a career slot somewhere in Wisconsin, but that search may expand here soon.

Forum Member

Yup...I am a second generation Lieutenant...and there is little doubt my boy will also be a fireman..most liekly my daughter as well..

My wife was a firefighter, her father my current Deputy Chief, her mother a former EMS Captain..

My little brother is also a fireman in a neighboring town..

I have cousins who are firemen, including a Lieutenant on in Syracuse..and uncles..
    FTM - BTB - KTF

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup. I followed my dad into the fire service. He was very active with a VFD in Maine while I was growing up.. we had a scanner before we had cable TV! We never ran on the same department, I didn't get started until I moved to NJ but he certainly was a source of inspiration and advice. He fought fires right up until loosing his battle with cancer in 2008.

I just celebrated my first father's day. I don't know if my daughter will want to be a firefighter, but I need to go buy a shotgun in case she wants to date one.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

My dad was a volunteer before I was born. I grew up around the small town volunteer fire service. He is currently the assistant chief of our volunteer department.

As a kid he worked for a small career department until it was disbanded and absorbed into a larger municple department in the mid 1990s. Ever since he has been in fire inspections and fire protection engineering.

I started as an explorer in high school with the volunteer department I grew up in. Became a full member at 18 and landed my first career position at 19. Currently work for one of the larger departments in our area of Georgia.

To say his involvement influenced me would be an understatement. My mom always told me she knew this is where I would end up. Loving every minute of it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Yes - I followed my father, as well as my grandfather, and great-grandfather. And both of my sons followed me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Followed my father in the volunteer ranks and my oldest son has followed me. My youngest is in the minor league yet. Oldest like Chenzo is looking for full time work in WI.
    FyredUp, you know the way th Gov wants to privitize everything we could by some old Macks and put them to work in our own fire company with the kids.

Back In Black

My grandfather, born to Scottish and Dutch immigrants was a volunteer (not sure of the department)...

My Father was a member and past Chief of the Department that I grew up in. He joined when I was 5 and I joined a month after my 16th birthday as a junior.

He has since moved over to EMS and retired a few years ago from his paying job... only to now work Full Time as an EMT and also runs as a volunteer (he is 67 now and going strong).

My brother also joined and served about 10 years, eventually as an L.T.

I was even the "mascot" at age 10, where I marched in parades in uniform. Loved/lived for the firehouse as a kid. Couldn't keep me off the trucks, playing the role of "victim"...etc.

Eventually served 2 terms as Chief and then work and family has since dominated my life and I've had to take a much smaller role at the firehouse.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Worldwide Menace

Nope...

I'm the first in my immediate family.. (though my aunt mentioned that my great grandfather was a firefighter). As I have no plans to have kids, I'll also be the last. My niece may follow me into the fire service though.. I've been stoking that flame...

-Damien

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm the first in my family. Joined a few years ago bacause my wife said I needed to get out of the house. Now I'm not home enough.

I do have some connection to the fire service in my family. My grandfather, father and uncle all worked for Howe fire apparatus in Daleville, IN until they went out of business.

Forum Member

Skipped a generation. My grandfather finished up his career as District Chief in Lynn, MA (and his brother was an officer in the volunteer department in neighboring Lynnfield).

Thread Information