Default Looking for some professional opinions on what to do next.

Hello folks,
    My name is Harley, Im 21 years old and I live in southern California.
    Over the past 4-5 years Ive gone through various stages to qualify myself for a career in the fire service. Ive been a fire explorer for 3 years. Completed the 6 core fire technology courses and the fire academy offered through Mt San Antonio College. Worked 2 years as an EMT with McCormick Ambulance out of Los Angeles running mainly 911 calls with Los Angeles County Fire. Have this summer and fall to finish the classes to be eligible to receive my Associates in Fire Technology with as of now a 3.55 gpa(I will have the chance to raise this through the summer/fall) Now I am undecided on which route to take next year! Although Ill continue to apply to any fire dept that offers an opportunity for a job( im also very interested in auxiliary positions), Im stuck between looking to transfer to a cal state for my bachelors or enroll into a paramedic program(which i have the prerequisites finished to enter). In the end I want to be the most qualified for the job! With my current situation does one choice look more preferable than the other? Thanks for any input!

Forum Member

In my opinion i would finish my paramedic first, i know it may be a pain but it really opens up the job openings. i dont know about you but around me you have to have your paramedic to apply for career departments.

Forum Member

Either decision is a winner! You have accomplished a great deal in your pursuit of a badge. At 21 you are still pretty young. We don't hire a lot of 21 year olds. Being a young guy with a paramedic license increases your chance of getting hired, but as you know one of the South Bay cities just gave a FF/PM test and had 50 medics apply.

Earning a Bachelors degree sets you apart from the testing crowd. It will take you at least 2 years to finish it. By then you will be 23 -24. Hiring will loosen up and you will be a very marketable candidate.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyman89 View Post
    Hello folks,
    Im stuck between looking to transfer to a cal state for my bachelors or enroll into a paramedic program(which i have the prerequisites finished to enter). In the end I want to be the most qualified for the job! With my current situation does one choice look more preferable than the other? Thanks for any input!
    Dude. You will dramatically improve your chances of getting hired by becoming a medic. Up to 80% of the job offerings in Calif are for fire medic. That alone will allow you to take more test. It's not the credentials but being able to pass the oral high enough to make the cut to get that badge you're looking for.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

You must also realize that you are talking a 30 year career. It's not a sprint, rather a marathon. As I said in my previous post. Not too many departments are going to hire a 21 year old. If you use your time wisely you can have a 4 year degree and a paramedic license by the time you are 24. Now you are a real competitor not only for entry level but for promotional exams when the time is right.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thank you for your input everyone! i have a few months of preparation to decide what to do! First on my mind is finishing this Fire technology degree. I will reapply for both Paramedic school and a cal state. I hope things will work out to where the cal state takes a year to accept me and in the meantime i can complete paramedic school! Well see how it goes! Ive already put in applications for volunteer departments and i just got my academy certificates on Thursday! Hoping for the best!

Thank you again! Harley.

Thread Information