Forum Member

Default Pager ear pieces?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with pager earpieces? Thanks!
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

For........................????

It is no different than an earpiece for anything else. Instead of an iPod or phone, it is a pager.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Well, I've missed several calls due to events which require me to turn off my pager (concerts, presentations etc.). Frankly (and as cheesy as it sounds), the safety of my community matters more than my own personal entertainment.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any specific brands etc. I also want to know things like when the tones drop, will the pager deliver the same loud piercing volume that the pager does, or if it will turn it down some since it will be in your ear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NFD-Firefighter View Post
    Well, I've missed several calls due to events which require me to turn off my pager (concerts, presentations etc.). Frankly (and as cheesy as it sounds), the safety of my community matters more than my own personal entertainment.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with any specific brands etc. I also want to know things like when the tones drop, will the pager deliver the same loud piercing volume that the pager does, or if it will turn it down some since it will be in your ear.
    I've only used the Minitor series. Up until the V-series they had a plug for an earbud that was the same as a typical headphone jack. My understanding is anything that would have gone out the speaker would now go out the headphone at similar volume. My V-series doesn't even have that plug anymore.

Rather than walking around with headphones attached to your pager, perhaps you should look at programming your pager with vibrate.. may be more useful.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Pretty sure the Minitor V does indeed have an earphone plug. The entire minitor series has never used the standard 1/8" headphone plug. It's been the next size down, which I forget the name. Earphone volume will be the same a the speaker.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Pretty sure the Minitor V does indeed have an earphone plug. The entire minitor series has never used the standard 1/8" headphone plug. It's been the next size down, which I forget the name. Earphone volume will be the same a the speaker.
    You are in fact correct. The minitor V has a jack on the bottom of the pager. I am unsure of the dimension but there is a rubber plug that covers the jack.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Take the pager by a Wally Mart, Target or even a Radio Shack store and see all the different styles and type of ear phone bubs, which may work on your pager. Try one out, make the pager or minitor break the squelch and see how it works. I use on for years in meetings.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to look "official" , there are several outfits around that sell "stealth" earphones. That's the kind with the coiled plastic tubing, and they're available with different plug sizes. A search will provide some outlets.

I don't use one on my pager, but it comes in handy when I'm working on the tourist railroad, working extremely busy holiday event trains.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    I stand corrected. Never thought to look at the bottom of the thing.
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Try one out, make the pager or minitor break the squelch and see how it works. I use on for years in meetings.
    I'm still curious how this would work in a meeting? So it's a meeting environment where having the pager go off would be disruptive, but having me jump out of my shorts after it blew out my eardrum wouldn't?
    Also, most people in meetings I'm in would be offended if I was wearing an earbud. Investigating a pager's Vibrate function may be a better option.
    -3dd

FF-EMT

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    I'm still curious how this would work in a meeting? So it's a meeting environment where having the pager go off would be disruptive, but having me jump out of my shorts after it blew out my eardrum wouldn't?
    Also, most people in meetings I'm in would be offended if I was wearing an earbud. Investigating a pager's Vibrate function may be a better option.
    What industry do you work in that people would be offended by your being a volunteer firefighter/emt? I think one of the problems we face is that we don't let people know that we do what we do and it is only our unwillingness to speak up about what we need or do that is the problem. In other words , if they have a problem with the earbud because they think you might be FBI, DEA or ATF or some other agency, maybe you or they need to just speak up and ask why the earpiece? Then just get over it! I don't think the right to never be offended is guaranteed to anyone.

BTW, In what limited experience I have with earpieces, you have to watch your volume knob or you will hurt yourself I don't wear an earpiece with a pager anymore, I have rarely made calls that my appearance was absolutely needed and missed more than one because the dispatch was unreadable.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    First of all, when you insert an ear bud, you turn down the volume on the device so it doesn't blow your brains out when it went off.

Have the volume up enough to hear any transmissions being received by that device.

If I am as firefighter, would offend anyone in that meeting which I was in, then I don't need to be around such people. I would never want to offend anyone in any meeting.

I have been in meetings, with Governors, Secretary of Public Safety, Senators, Congressmen, Mayors, Council Members, and other top line City Officials.

I was in my department uniform and none of those folks were offended.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

What happens when the tones drop? Does the piece blow your head off? The reason I'm after one is because I find myself in a bunch of places which require all electronic devices to be silenced. Unfortunately, vibrate doesn't cover this requirement because there's still that little voice that appears after tones.

MembersZone Subscriber

What happens when the tones drop? Does the piece blow your head off? The reason I'm after one is because I find myself in a bunch of places which require all electronic devices to be silenced. Unfortunately, vibrate doesn't cover this requirement because there's still that little voice that appears after tones.
    The volume control will do very nicely. Just play with it for a while in monitor mode and you should be OK. If you have vibrate, you can put it in vibrate/alert so you get the vibration and won't be as surprised by the audio.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

The Minitor V has a programming option where it will vibrate only, and not speak after that. It will just vibrate to alert you, the record the voice without actually putting it through the speaker when it first goes off.

MembersZone Subscriber

REQUIRE? Require might be something written in law. Anything else is a request. Courtesy and common sense suggest that you turn down the volume when you're in some settings (church, movie, etc).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    REQUIRE? Require might be something written in law. Anything else is a request. Courtesy and common sense suggest that you turn down the volume when you're in some settings (church, movie, etc).
    It's a requirement if I wish to stay... or I get kicked out. Look, if all I had to do was turn down the pager, then I'd do so. I wouldn't be asking you about earpieces. Also, I have a minitor IV, so no stored voice.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's a requirement if I wish to stay... or I get kicked out. Look, if all I had to do was turn down the pager, then I'd do so. I wouldn't be asking you about earpieces. Also, I have a minitor IV, so no stored voice.
    If I were to go all Rube Goldberg.. reprogram the IV to vibrate then connect the earbud jack to a compact digital audio recorder with VOX. Allows you to be notified of a call when the pager vibrates and then listen to the stored voice at after you get the earbud in.

Obviously if just wearing the earbud is ok with you then that's the simplest approach. I know I'd have a hard time doing that all day on the off chance there is a call.
    -3dd

Forum Member

well, the question is will the pager still vibrate if the ear piece is in?

Forum Member

well, the question is will the pager still vibrate if the ear piece is in?
    Yes. Of course it will.

Forum Member

cool! Thanks guys!

Thread Information