Thread: Need a new lid

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NFD-Firefighter View Post
    By the way, don't blame P&C... check this lid out http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Helmet-Cai...item4840f51f81

read the whole page! he also says it has cosmetic issues but is fully functional for its original use. JEEZ!!!
    It is you who did not read the whole page. The guy put in HUGE writing halfway down the listing page:

NOTE: This helmet is damaged, it has a cracked shell and a cracked liner,
    cannot be worn to fire fires, being sold as a display item, see photo's

The smaller note up top is a generic Ebay condtion that you have to choose when listing an auction. The seller did not write that out himself. When you list an item, you have to choose the condition. But the condition choices are the same for anything you are selling. He chose the right option, USED. And when you do that, it generates the condition you saw listed at the top.

The only mistake i saw him put in the auction was the helmet model number. Looking at the sellers current and past auctions, they are not a firefighter. So more then likley they were told "It's a 1010" by whoever gave them the helmet to sell. A non firefighter would not even know the model numbers of Cairns helmets. So clearly the blame for listing the wrong model numbers falls on the person (who was obviously a Firefighter) who gave them the helmet.

Before you try and make someone look stupid for their auction listing, perhaps you should slow down and read more carefully.

Forum Member

I did read the whole thing, and the fact he contradicts himself makes the post even more amusing. And because he looked stupid on that listing, I am sure as hell not gonna buy anything from him...
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

I did read the whole thing, and the fact he contradicts himself makes the post even more amusing. And because he looked stupid on that listing, I am sure as hell not gonna buy anything from him...
    I certainly do not want to derail this thread, but nowhere did he contradict himself about the helmet. He posted a wrong model number, nothing more. You seem to not have any idea how Ebay auctions work with listings. The guy is not a firefighter, look at his auction history. The fact he does not know anything about fire helmet part numbers is not a shock.

Forum Member

Yes sir, I think it is he who doesn't know how ebay works. He should have listed the condition as
    "For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended and is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller's listing for full details."
    As quoted from ebay condition guidelines.

The fault goes back to him. Honestly though this doesn't really matter...

Forum Member

For the ebay conditions guidelines: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cont...ndition_1.html

Forum Member

For the ebay conditions guidelines: http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cont...ndition_1.html
    I know all about them. And they do not change the fact you never read the guys post. He clearly stated in larger font then anything else on the page so nobody would miss it the following:

NOTE: This helmet is damaged, it has a cracked shell and a cracked liner,
    cannot be worn to fire fires, being sold as a display item, see photo's

In the description you posted it even points out "See the seller's listing for full details." And the seller did just that.

He selected "USED" on the condition. Which is what this helmet was. He likley did not select "For parts or not working" because the helmet is NOT being sold for parts and you would not say the helmet is "not working" because the helmet never "worked". It's a helmet. I would never sell a used turnout coat with that description either. Since who would take parts off of a coat and an outdated coat still "works" just fine. Maybe not for firefighting, but it is still a functioning coat. I have a 25 year old turnout i use to shovel snow in the winter with. If i ever sold it on Ebay, i would not classify it as "For parts or not working". I would say it was USED.

You are looking way too far into things. The items description is what matters and it was accurate in regards to the condition. Their was nothing shady about this auction. Even the part number being listed as wrong was not shady since he showed the tag on the helmet. Anybody who knows anything about helmets would not even care.

Forum Member

What about the clause that states "An item that does not function as intended..."
    I'd call that helmet not functioning as intended...
    The reason I'm "looking too far into it" is because I am defending myself after you attacked me. But if you're willing to let this go, than so am I

Forum Member

SHUT UP! All of you, you're professional firefighters, do you really need someone from the public browsing through this and watching you bicker back and forth about a busted helmet? For Christs sake. If you can't act like firefighters, at least act like adults.

MODS LOCK/DELETE THIS THREAD. I dont want any more of this associated with my screen name.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwright367 View Post
    SHUT UP! All of you, you're professional firefighters, do you really need someone from the public browsing through this and watching you bicker back and forth about a busted helmet? For Christs sake. If you can't act like firefighters, at least act like adults.

MODS LOCK/DELETE THIS THREAD. I dont want any more of this associated with my screen name.
    7 posts since joining and now your god? I can see where this is going.

This is a discussion forum. A place to discuss things. People bring up topics and they get discussed. If your getting that worked up over things, perhaps online forums are not the place for you.

Forum Member

Lighten up Francis!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Administrator

This thread might have gotten a bit off topic, but I see no reason to close it. It is after all, a discussion topic.

/carry on

Josh

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WD6956 View Post
    perhaps online forums are not the place for you.
    You're absolutely right. Stay safe brothers, I'll find another place go.

Forum Member

You're absolutely right. Stay safe brothers, I'll find another place go.
    I was not suggesting you leave here. I was simply pointing out that you should not get so worked up over online arguing. My whole banter back and forth was nothing personal against NFD. Just two guys having a petty argument over a worthless ebay auction. I would hope he took nothing i said personally. I certainly did not.

Forum Member

Nope.. but like others said, and you said, this is petty. jwright was right... we sound like a couple of kids. Peace, and stay safe!

Thread Information