Thread: Need a new lid

Forum Member

Default Delete this thread

Delete this thread
    Last edited by jwright367; 06-26-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Forum Member

From reading your post, the helmet did its job and you are alive.

It appears that something wasn't affixed correctly with the impact cap and the shell.

Have you done anything to the helmet or insides to cause this to happen?

I would contact the dealer or even Paul Conway and seek a new helmet as this one may have been defective.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Wow....that's certainly a bummer......but I will still have ALOT of faith in my Heritage.....I love it and it has been solid for four years....and I expect to get many more years out of it......as suggested, before making critical judgements (I know it is a tough issue to feel understanding over) you may wish to look for reason/cause and then be informative.

Forum Member

Next time - try to land feet first.
    ?

Forum Member

Last edited by jwright367; 06-26-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Forum Member

Whether you're willing to use products from this manufacturer or not in the future (I can certainly understand the reluctance since you had this one fail), I'd still contact them and offer to allow them to check the helmet out. If it is indeed some kind of manufacturing defect that caused your helmet to fail then allowing them to inspect it and determine that may save the life of another firefighter by giving them a chance to come up with a fix for the defect.

Forum Member

Paul Conway Helmets

Address 14100 West Cleveland Ave
    New Berlin WI 53151

USA Phone 1.800.955.8489

Give them a call, tell them about your lid and send them the photos.

Forum Member

Forum Member

The Conway is pleather anyway. You won't regret your Houston. I love both of mine.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

At least you got out ok. Now you can proudly put it on your wall
    Benton Fire District Four
    Ladder One
    First Due!

Caddo Parish Fire District 1
    Career Firefighter/Paramedic

When things get rough, just say:
    Acabo de perder cinco minutos de su vida.

Forum Member

I SOOOO prefer the N5a over the N6a...........................
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

That sounds like it might be a manufacturing defect... try writing to the company, they may give you a new one. I really like mine, and nothing like that has ever happened to me...
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

Speaking for Carins plastic helmets, they are designed to seperate if you get in a situation where your helmet shell is hung up. The outer shell will seperate leaving you still protected by the impact cap. You won't have any brim obviously, but you will not be left with no protection like most other helmets. The impact protection is key. On most other composite/plastic helmets and leathers, if they got hung up their are only two possible outcomes.

1. The chin strap buckle breaks and you will not be hung up, but you will now have no impact protection of any kind and no thermal protection from the impact cap and ear flaps on your head.

OR

2. The buckle does not break and you remain stuck untill you free yourself or unhook or cut your chin strap. This will of course mean possibly being unjured.

Between the metal front (shield) holders and the hang up hooks on the rear brim, it is not at all unrealistic to think that you could very well be hung up by your helmet. I know many people who have been hung up in flex duct wiring by their helmet frontholders. Thankfully it's never happened in a life or death situation and only training. But if and when it does happen, you will be stuck. Your only options are to try and cut or untangle the wire from your front holder which will not be easy as you will not be able to see what you are doing even without the smoke since it's happening above your head. OR, take your helmet off which itself could be a disaster. At least with the breakaway shell design, you can simply just keep pulling yourself away from the wire and one of two things will happen, the wire will break or detatch or your outer shell will break loose. Either way, you will make it out.

It's explained on their website and in catalogs. It is an excellent safety feature. And the helmet can be reassembled, so in the rare case it happens, it's not as thought your helmet is junk.

Most leathers have a pressed in impact cap/liner that is not designed to removed. The fact your helmet seperated (i did not see the pics) may not have been bad thing. But i cannot say for certain the helmet you had was designed to do that.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Talking

What is this "chin strap" you speak of above?
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY911Bowhunter View Post
    What is this "chin strap" you speak of above?
    Ah yes. Sorry, it's a feature most seen on football helmets, not fire helmets. My bad.

Forum Member

glad you made it out ok

Forum Member

I have both the Sam Houston and a New Yorker. Cannot go wrong with Leather.. And the Church said??? AMEN
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    I have both the Sam Houston and a New Yorker. Cannot go wrong with Leather.. And the Church said??? AMEN
    My wallet would say otherwise! I have to agree with you though, I just wish it was cheaper!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

I have bought 3 leathers recently...2 New Yorkers and a Houston...I didnt pay more than $350 for any of them! You justhave to be fast and wiley on ebay...
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Leather really is the way to go .. The New Yawkah is a lot lighter than the Sammy H. However the weight is something you just get used to and becomes an afterthought after a few times wearing it.

I bought the Sammy H but the New Yawkah was given to me by a good friend so I alternate them out every other shift because I wouldnt want to be rude.. Both have two door wedges and a Fenix light Bourkes and a leather helmet front from Firestore.com

Leather forever baby.. Anything else is just tactical tupperware.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    Leather really is the way to go .. The New Yawkah is a lot lighter than the Sammy H. However the weight is something you just get used to and becomes an afterthought after a few times wearing it.

I bought the Sammy H but the New Yawkah was given to me by a good friend so I alternate them out every other shift because I wouldnt want to be rude.. Both have two door wedges and a Fenix light Bourkes and a leather helmet front from Firestore.com

Leather forever baby.. Anything else is just tactical tupperware.

Firefighter King, You never get use to the weight of a helmet. It always bears weight on your neck and shoulders. At least in my years doing this job, I never "got use " to the weight. I have worn many types, styles and makes of head wear too.

Forum Member

By the way, don't blame P&C... check this lid out http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Helmet-Cai...item4840f51f81

read the whole page! It's pretty funny. The guy has no idea what he's talking about... he calls it a 1010... it's a 1044, and clearly says so on its label... he also says it has cosmetic issues but is fully functional for its original use. JEEZ!!!

Forum Member

Last edited by jwright367; 06-26-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Forum Member

Last edited by NFD-Firefighter; 06-29-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Thread Information