Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber CKirk922's Avatar

Default UL Study on Ventilation and Fire Behavior

Horizontal Ventilation: Should we be re-examining our tactics?

Jerry Knapp wrote an interesting article for FireEngineering about a 2010 UL labs test on ventilation and fire behavior.

http://www.fireengineering.com/index...ent-study.html

His article directed the reader to the UL study.

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/o...e/ventilation/

If you take the time to go through the entire program, there are some serious eye opening conclusions about horizontal ventilation.

Please take some time to look at it and then comment.

Even if you skip to the 4 panel videos and then go through the tactical considerations section you will get the gist.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

Some very neat stuff that I can definatly use in my reading smoke class when I talk about the fires of today v. the fires of yesterday.

When I have more time I will watch it in greater detail.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireeaterbob View Post
    Horizontal Ventilation: Should we be re-examining our tactics?
    In general, we should be re-examining our tactics on a regular basis.

I really didn't think there was much that was truly "ground breaking" information that would necessitate a significant "overhaul" of most department's tactics regarding horizontal ventilation. A lot of the information, to me at least, seemed to confirm and re-emphasize things we should already be aware of.

We already knew that ventilation closer to the fire is better than farther away and that the more distant location will "pull" the fire towards it.

We already knew that ventilation before being ready to apply water will cause the fire to grow.

We already knew that closing doors while searching (VES) helps to maintain conditions in that room while doing so.

We already knew that (wide) fog streams will absorb heat much faster than a solid/straight stream and that it will upset the thermal balance.

I think the more pertinent information to take from the study is just how short of time you now have to put water on the fire once you ventilate before conditions become untenable. Additionally, the information about how ventilation to remove smoke/heat may not always achieve that result and the notation of the front door as a ventilation point was pretty informative.

MembersZone Subscriber CKirk922's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post

I think the more pertinent information to take from the study is just how short of time you now have to put water on the fire once you ventilate before conditions become untenable. Additionally, the information about how ventilation to remove smoke/heat may not always achieve that result and the notation of the front door as a ventilation point was pretty informative.
    I think this is the part I took away from the presentation.

Additionally, I've seen this lift and bank back down effect just before a flash.

I have a difficult time getting the point across adequately to my students and fellow FFs that control of the air flow is the difference between a manageable situation and a rapidly untenable one.
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Yeah, this was pretty good to find out. Also, I thought the "pushing fire" info was interesting. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself an aggressive fireman and realize it's best to push EVERYTHING from the inside out, but this was interesting.

Thread Information