MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I'm sorry but someone had to say it...." I can carry only two...one in each hand." Now I feel better and carry on......
    If you put a chain saw in one of those wildland saw back-packs then you could carry 3
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We're having the reverse issue.
    So what's the point of the useless information you gave? It neither answers the question nor does anyone care.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Default Saws

N2DFire..You da man....I should have thought of that.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    So what's the point of the useless information you gave? It neither answers the question nor does anyone care.
    So I guess you have been appointed forum guru, huh?
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Default How many saws?

On my Truck, we carry only a Fire Service chain saw and a Partner K12 with an all purpose blade. We prefer to vent residential roofs with hand tools and we use the K12 for commerical roofs. So for downed tree limbs or to clear debris, we would just grab our standard chain saw.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happyvalleyff View Post
    Engine-Vent Master Chain Saw

Squad (as in support/manpower unit)- Two Poulan Tree Saws

Tower-3 Cutters Edge Vent Saws, 1 Vent Master Saw, 1 Partner K 750 with carbide blade, 1 Stihl Rotary Saw with abrasive blade, 1 Partner K 650 with abrasive blade, 1 small McCullah Rotary Saw with abrasive blades
    Whaaaat? NO WARTHOG? WTF? Small Muckaluck? Yup HAD one of those long long ago. Replaced with a TS550 Stihl. Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Nope no warthog blade.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happyvalleyff View Post
    Nope no warthog blade.
    LOVE our Warthog.Was three years convincing the Boss to buy it,try to pry it out of his fingers NOW. GREAT blade! T.C.

Forum Member

My department runs with one saw per engine which consist of just a 18" STIL for ventilation and utility purposes.

Forum Member

Honestly Rescue101 never had a chance to play with the Warthog blade. Seen alot of advertisements for it and very good endorsements on here though. We use just the standard Fire Hooks Unlimited blade on ours the 24 tooth one.

Forum Member

I L O V E my Warthog! Best composite/standard roofing blade we've ever owned. IF you buy one make sure you have a GOOD (950+cc)powerhead to run it. T.C.

Forum Member

I would love to give it a shot if I ever had the opportunity to play with one. Unfortunately we don't have anything bigger then a 750 as we use the rotary saws for FE and chain saws almost exclusively for roof ventilation.

Forum Member

Default saws

A lot of the trucks in DC carry an additional rescue saw, (all purpose blade).
    This way we can carry a saw on each side of the apparatus. This serves two purposes, we can get to the saw that much quicker to cut bars in the event we have someone trapped and if we are in an alley or tight spot and we can't get to that compartment we always have the second saw. Bear in mind the second saw is supplied by the rank and file, not the dept...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    LOVE our Warthog.Was three years convincing the Boss to buy it,try to pry it out of his fingers NOW. GREAT blade! T.C.
    O.K. - So I'll come back & actually contribute a little this time.

Most of the FD's in my county carry just chain saws. We have some designated for roof/vent work & some for "logging". We are a VERY rural county and during sever weather we will have to cut our way in (and out) of incidents. These see a lot of use on brush fires as well. Seldom do we have to fell anything but a lot of the time it's quicker for a saw operator to lead the line crew and cut a path thru fallen timber than is is to try and cut a line around it.

A couple Dept's have rotary saws of various "flavors" and only one I know of has a Warthog blade on theirs. It doesn't see much use - not sure why other that it looks different than the chain saws our country boys are used to and the fact that being rural we don't fight a lot of fires in structures that are still upright.

However - on the occasions when it has been used - they LOVE it! That dept happens to be my old volly dept & the saw / blade combo was one I picked out for one of our AFG grants. It's on a 750 partner and I can't even begin to imagine what a beast it would be on a 950 saw.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Personally, I always carry just one.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information